Our 2024 Alaska Adventure--including planning!

no1racefan1

Today is a very exciting today because I was able to start booking some of our lodging!! Hyatt became bookable last week; unfortunately I figured out I didn't have enough points to book two nights in Anchorage, so I only booked our arrival night for now.

My most exciting find--an amazing cabin near Matanuska Glacier for our third night! A lot of hosts don't have their calendars out that far to book yet, but I decided to browse to see what was available for booking this far in advance. I found this cabin for under $100!! I'm a tad bit nervous because I've heard of hosts changing/cancelling reservations that are made this far in advance, but we'll see what happens. It's booked and paid for!

• Like 3

I am getting antsy not having anything to plan/book, lol. Flights, tours, etc. aren't available to book for next summer yet. Sooo in the meantime I've decided to try to collect as many Alaskan Airlines miles as possible to see if we can earn enough to book first class tickets! We have never booked first class (we flew first class one time when we took incentive to take a later flight) and since we probably won't be using Alaska Airlines after this trip, might as well use up all the miles. Tip for people considering getting the Alaska Airlines credit card to help with flights--there is a shopping portal online to earn bonus miles at places you shop. Even cooler than that though is the Mileage Plan add-on that you can download and it will automatically remind you to sign in to the mileage portal to earn miles when you visit certain websites. I've earned a few hundred extra miles using this. Any other tips for maximizing mileage earning?

• Like 2

I've also started a list of places we might want to eat in Alaska! We'll probably buy groceries and make our own meals about half the time, to cut down on expenses. Here's my idea list so far:

Anchorage--Haute Quarter Grill, 49th State Brewing, Wild Scoops

Talkeetna--Talkeetna Spinach Bread

Palmer--The Butte Burger Stand

Seward--Woody's Thai Kitchen, The Cookery

Whittier--Swiftwater Cafe

Skagway--Alaska Fudge Co

Juneau--Alaska Fish & Chips Co

Ketchikan--Burger Queen

I don't expect we will hit all of these but I like to have places in mind when we decide to eat out! I don't eat fish/seafood and we don't drink--so breweries and seafood restaurants aren't a big draw. Any other recommendations are welcome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excursions booked!! This morning I booked the last of our shore excursions. Here's what we have:

Skagway--Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float (I just read this was cancelled on a 2023 trip due to trail damage. Interesting!)

Juneau--Mendenhall Glacier Explorer

Ketchikan--Wilderness Fishing & Feast for DH

I think these are all the excursions we will book for now. I'm thinking about going to the lumberjack show in Ketchikan while DH fishes, but I'm not sold on that yet. Also thinking about going up Mt. Roberts Tram but we would just buy tickets on site, depending on weather.

I really stewed over what to do in Juneau. I was pretty sure I wanted to do the Native Canoe trek, but it's really expensive--even when looking at non-ship prices (less than $10 difference to book off ship). While thinking about it I realized what I really was most looking forward to was seeing Nugget Falls. So, I decided on the Mendenhall Explorer, which is just a guided bus ride there and back basically. I did compare prices to non-ship buses, but they were only a couple dollars cheaper. To me it's worth the extra $5-6 to have it arranged through the ship.

The other exciting news is tomorrow, May 13th, will be exactly ONE YEAR until we start our Alaska adventure!! Once you get past that year mark it doesn't sound as crazy to be planning everything out this early, haha.

• Like 5

I'm a crazy early planner too!  Still waiting to set up some excursions, flights, hotel for the Alaska September 2024 trip since they aren't available yet to book.  I plan to book all the excursions through the cruise line because I like the guarantee of not being left in port if something happens.  I'm a magnet for that kind of stuff lol.  So far, I have the Lighthouse, totems and eagles excursion for Ketchikan and a Trolley tour thing for Prince Rupert Canada. The ones I was for Tracy arm, the glacier one and Janeau, Mendenhall Explorer, haven't showed up yet.  For Haines I think we will just wing it and explore. Some of those excursions are crazy expensive!

So, while I wait and duly grind out those credit card miles, I'm jumping into researching a new cruise for 2025 or 2026. A 13-day cruise from London through Ireland and Scotland with a pre-cruise 4 day stay in London.  NCL offers free airfare for the second person and the cruise cost, as it stands today, is about 2100 per person.  With the airfare, excursions, taxes and pocket money etc. it will likely be much more so it may very well be a 2027 trip ha-ha.  But it's one of those once in a lifetime trips!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stowaway LFC said:

I'm a crazy early planner too!  Still waiting to set up some excursions, flights, hotel for the Alaska September 2024 trip since they aren't available yet to book.  I plan to book all the excursions through the cruise line because I like the guarantee of not being left in port if something happens.  I'm a magnet for that kind of stuff lol.  So far, I have the Lighthouse, totems and eagles excursion for Ketchikan and a Trolley tour thing for Prince Rupert Canada. The ones I was for Tracy arm, the glacier one and Janeau, Mendenhall Explorer, haven't showed up yet.  For Haines I think we will just wing it and explore. Some of those excursions are crazy expensive!

So, while I wait and duly grind out those credit card miles, I'm jumping into researching a new cruise for 2025 or 2026. A 13-day cruise from London through Ireland and Scotland with a pre-cruise 4 day stay in London.  NCL offers free airfare for the second person and the cruise cost, as it stands today, is about 2100 per person.  With the airfare, excursions, taxes and pocket money etc. it will likely be much more so it may very well be a 2027 trip ha-ha.  But it's one of those once in a lifetime trips!

Yay!! That is the next cruise I want to do also! It might be a 2029 trip, lol.

• Like 1

Awesome!  Great minds think alike!  Once my Discover Miles card turns a year-old next March and doubles my miles, I'm going to get the Norwegian credit card. They offer a free 20,000 points if you spend 1000 in 90 days that is equal to 200.00.  There are several ways to redeem such as on-board credit, cash off cruise or cabin upgrades but I'm going for the cash off cruise. I plan to use that card to make payments on the cruise itself and excursions etc because all Norwegian purchases are 3pts per 1.00. Airfare and hotels are 2pts per 1.00. Want to redeem those points for cash off before I finish paying off the cruise.  Found a tip on this site to not use the points for on-board credit but instead use the card as your on-board payment method and earn 3pts per 1.00 of whatever you spend on board. 

Also going to purchase a cruise first certificate prior to booking for 250. That will give me 500 towards the cruise. I think you can only use one per cruise.

If I like sailing on Norwegian they offer purchases of Cruise Next certificates during the cruise. You can buy at a discounted price and use one towards your next cruise. It has to be used within 4 years so that all depends on how I like the cruise line.  I've only sailed on Carnival in the past

Hopefully I can offset a bit of that price tag on the London trip!  I like the Norwegian one for the pre cruise stay and the itinerary. It seemed like the best for us.

Guess it's too early to get really excited about Alaska just yet!

• Like 1

What type of coats are y'all taking on your Alaska trip?  I wanted something where I wouldn't need to take a backpack or small purse.  Found the SCOTTeVEST jacket options, they have all these hidden pockets inside and on the sleeves to hold all your stuff etc and were lightweight but were really expensive!  

Found a comparable jacket on Amazon by TACVASEN it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the SCOTTe brand does but very comparable and 1/3 of the price.  Plus I'll prob use these on future cruises/land trips we take since we usually try to vacation in the fall. Plus it looks fantastic for Black Friday shopping too lol.

Also got some cell phone friendly weather resistant gloves and cell phone waterproof cases for the Tracy Arm boat excursion.  Saw a video by one CC member and it looked like the waves were a little rough so I wanted to be prepared.  Grabbed some regular long johns too for layering just in case it's cold in the ports or if we wanted to go up on the deck for views.

Trying to not have to pack a huge amount of stuff. Carnival has self laundry stations on board so I'm gonna utilize that since I'm a lowly red tier lol. Concerning Norwegian for the future London cruise they don't have self laundry they just offer a 29 dollar per bag option mid cruise.  Yikes......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stowaway LFC said:

What type of coats are y'all taking on your Alaska trip?  I wanted something where I wouldn't need to take a backpack or small purse.  Found the SCOTTeVEST jacket options, they have all these hidden pockets inside and on the sleeves to hold all your stuff etc and were lightweight but were really expensive!  

Found a comparable jacket on Amazon by TACVASEN it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the SCOTTe brand does but very comparable and 1/3 of the price.  Plus I'll prob use these on future cruises/land trips we take since we usually try to vacation in the fall. Plus it looks fantastic for Black Friday shopping too lol.

Also got some cell phone friendly weather resistant gloves and cell phone waterproof cases for the Tracy Arm boat excursion.  Saw a video by one CC member and it looked like the waves were a little rough so I wanted to be prepared.  Grabbed some regular long johns too for layering just in case it's cold in the ports or if we wanted to go up on the deck for views.

Trying to not have to pack a huge amount of stuff. Carnival has self laundry stations on board so I'm gonna utilize that since I'm a lowly red tier lol. Concerning Norwegian for the future London cruise they don't have self laundry they just offer a 29 dollar per bag option mid cruise.  Yikes......

I have a 3 in 1 coat from Columbia:  https://www.columbia.com/c/3-in-1-jackets/?pos=1. I also have a packable puffer coat from Eddie Bauer that I wear sometimes instead of the fleece jacket.  Have been to Alaska numerous times (15+ cruises, land vacations)—this is the set up I’ve had for six years.  Warm, waterproof, and layers—I wear gloves and a hat as well if it gets really cold.  

Amazon has water resistant pants that I wear that are fairly inexpensive.  I wear long silk underwear underneath for warmth:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD9WBF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I wear a pair of Merrell waterproof shoes with Bomba wool shoes.  https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-3-waterproof-wide-width/195017247583.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjYKjBhB5EiwAiFdSfuRehzeJnF9Q7MBKPRRGjKxfZC1JOGEkVkHUPUZX7JAtQzuB5k9_yBoCRzoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.  In addition I carry a pair of Columbia hiking shoes.  Nothing worse than cold, wet feet!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stowaway LFC said:

I have a Rab packable puffer that I'll bring. I splurged on it last year. It was pretty expensive but quality outdoor gear will last you many, many years, if not a lifetime (learned this from my outdoorsy DH who buys quality gear and gets  maximum use out of it--before I met him, most of my gear was from Walmart....)

I also have a Columbia rain jacket that I've had for years that I'll bring. It's not insulated but it's big enough to wear over a fleece/sweatshirt and it's a great windblocker.

As far as pants, I could use a new pair of outdoor pants (I have some but they are, ummm, too small) so I might look around for something. I'm not super concerned about getting something waterproof. I usually just wear a pair of leggings under pants when I'm hiking and it's going to be cold, and they serve dual purposes because I can also wear them lounging/around the ship. I probably WON'T be bringing jeans (maybe one pair) because even though I see everybody talk about jeans on an Alaskan cruise, I don't find jeans that comfortable and especially for cold/rain/hiking.

I plan on doing laundry at least once on our trip, possibly before we get on board the cruise. I might do laundry again towards the end of the cruise so I have less to do when we get home, lol. We each have small checked bags (24"? Not sure) and we made it a rule several years ago that we had to fit our stuff into those bags, because DH got sick of lugging giant suitcases into the back of the car! We *might* bring a 3rd bag as a carryon in addition to our backpacks/personal items, depending on how our packing ends up. I really try not to be an overpacker. 

Adding waterproof phone case to my packing list!

7 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I have a 3 in 1 coat from Columbia:  https://www.columbia.com/c/3-in-1-jackets/?pos=1. I also have a packable puffer coat from Eddie Bauer that I wear sometimes instead of the fleece jacket.  Have been to Alaska numerous times (15+ cruises, land vacations)—this is the set up I’ve had for six years.  Warm, waterproof, and layers—I wear gloves and a hat as well if it gets really cold.  

Amazon has water resistant pants that I wear that are fairly inexpensive.  I wear long silk underwear underneath for warmth:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD9WBF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I wear a pair of Merrell waterproof shoes with Bomba wool shoes.  https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-3-waterproof-wide-width/195017247583.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjYKjBhB5EiwAiFdSfuRehzeJnF9Q7MBKPRRGjKxfZC1JOGEkVkHUPUZX7JAtQzuB5k9_yBoCRzoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.  In addition I carry a pair of Columbia hiking shoes.  Nothing worse than cold, wet feet!

Yep, pretty similar here! Outdoors in AK seems pretty similar to outdoors in WY, so I feel pretty comfortable planning packing. It's way harder for me to plan for a beach destination, lol. 

I have a pair of waterproof Keen hiking boots DH got me for Christmas last year so they will definitely come along, as well as my Brooks running shoes (I don't run). Bombas socks are the bomb!!

So many good ideas!  Now I'm drooling over water resistant pants, hiking shoes and Bombas socks!  LOL.  Have a list of stuff I want to buy on Amazon before the trip.

I was planning on bringing a lot of jeans but now I think I'll go with those pants and log johns underneath for port days, maybe one pair of jeans and a hoodie for travel days and some yoga pants/long tees for the ship.  Would take up a lot less room for sure!  And less bulk laundry which is always good. Plus, a couple of leggings with some long flowing tops for dress up night. Oh, and one swimsuit in case we brave the hot tub.  It's all about that space and weight when you're flying!  

Planning on one bigger checked bag, Two backpacks and one carryon luggage suitcase.  Want to leave room for stuff we might buy on the trip. Hope I am not suffering from delusions of grandeur with that! 

Has anyone tried these?  I think I need a luggage scale too, would suck to get stuck with extra fees bc bag weighs too much /groan

https://www.amazon.com/12-Travel-Compression-Packing-Essentials/dp/B0BBGDFH4V/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1HYCLY4T54CQS&keywords=packing%2Bbags%2Bfor%2Bsuitcases&qid=1684151258&sprefix=packing%2Bbags%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMjVVT0tSUUc2Mk4wJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjUxNjI4M1JGNEZNRkwxN04yNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDAzMTQzODNQQklJUVhZUVhEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1#:~:text=Sponsored-,12 Travel Compression Bags Vacuum Packing%2C Roll Up Travel Space Saver Bags for Luggage%2C Cruise Ship Essentials (5 Large Roll/5 Medium Roll/2 Small Roll),-Roll over image

Sorry, my link pasting skills suck!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stowaway LFC said:

So many good ideas!  Now I'm drooling over water resistant pants, hiking shoes and Bombas socks!  LOL.  Have a list of stuff I want to buy on Amazon before the trip.

I was planning on bringing a lot of jeans but now I think I'll go with those pants and log johns underneath for port days, maybe one pair of jeans and a hoodie for travel days and some yoga pants/long tees for the ship.  Would take up a lot less room for sure!  And less bulk laundry which is always good. Plus, a couple of leggings with some long flowing tops for dress up night. Oh, and one swimsuit in case we brave the hot tub.  It's all about that space and weight when you're flying!  

Planning on one bigger checked bag, Two backpacks and one carryon luggage suitcase.  Want to leave room for stuff we might buy on the trip. Hope I am not suffering from delusions of grandeur with that! 

Has anyone tried these?  I think I need a luggage scale too, would suck to get stuck with extra fees bc bag weighs too much /groan

https://www.amazon.com/12-Travel-Compression-Packing-Essentials/dp/B0BBGDFH4V/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1HYCLY4T54CQS&keywords=packing%2Bbags%2Bfor%2Bsuitcases&qid=1684151258&sprefix=packing%2Bbags%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMjVVT0tSUUc2Mk4wJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjUxNjI4M1JGNEZNRkwxN04yNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDAzMTQzODNQQklJUVhZUVhEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1#:~:text=Sponsored-,12 Travel Compression Bags Vacuum Packing%2C Roll Up Travel Space Saver Bags for Luggage%2C Cruise Ship Essentials (5 Large Roll/5 Medium Roll/2 Small Roll),-Roll over image

Sorry, my link pasting skills suck!

I haven't tried compression bags but I've seen a lot of people compliment them. A luggage scale is very handy! I got one similar to this many years ago and it's easy to use and pack with you so you can check your weight coming home!  https://www.amazon.com/Longang-Digital-Temperature-Function-Included/dp/B07N1F68PZ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2A7Q2YX7T28YE&keywords=luggage+scale&qid=1684152664&s=instant-video&sprefix=luggage+scal%2Cinstant-video%2C242&sr=1-2-catcorr

• Like 1

I tried to put stuff in packing cubes/compression bags last year and the pace BETWEEN them in my suitcase was wasted and I couldn't get as much in my bag.....

I'm actually not packing ANY jeans I hope, only wearing them on the plane, as I am going to wear 1 of 4 Columbia/Craghopper (a UK brand apparently) hiking/outdoorsy pants I have....they were great last year...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I haven't tried compression bags but I've seen a lot of people compliment them. A luggage scale is very handy! I got one similar to this many years ago and it's easy to use and pack with you so you can check your weight coming home!  https://www.amazon.com/Longang-Digital-Temperature-Function-Included/dp/B07N1F68PZ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2A7Q2YX7T28YE&keywords=luggage+scale&qid=1684152664&s=instant-video&sprefix=luggage+scal%2Cinstant-video%2C242&sr=1-2-catcorr

Thanks for the link!  Adding that to my Amazon get when you have the money list!

10 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

I tried to put stuff in packing cubes/compression bags last year and the pace BETWEEN them in my suitcase was wasted and I couldn't get as much in my bag.....

I'm actually not packing ANY jeans I hope, only wearing them on the plane, as I am going to wear 1 of 4 Columbia/Crag hopper (a UK brand apparently) hiking/outdoorsy pants I have....they were great last year...

That was my thought, the jeans just for the airport days. Prob just try those compression bags for the bigger bulky stuff

14 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Yep, pretty similar here! Outdoors in AK seems pretty similar to outdoors in WY, so I feel pretty comfortable planning packing. It's way harder for me to plan for a beach destination, lol. 

I have a pair of waterproof Keen hiking boots DH got me for Christmas last year so they will definitely come along, as well as my Brooks running shoes (I don't run). Bombas socks are the bomb!!

I lucked out and nabbed a pair of Keen waterproof hiking boots IN MY SIZE in GREAT condition at Goodwill for $5.  Now I feel justified in splurging on a puffer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kathscof said:

I'm actually not packing ANY jeans I hope, only wearing them on the plane, as I am going to wear 1 of 4 Columbia/Craghopper (a UK brand apparently) hiking/outdoorsy pants I have....they were great last year...

I agree--jeans on the plane and then I'll have them if I want to re-wear them...

I felt the same way about packing cubes. I bought some a few years ago because everybody raves about them, but they just didn't help me at all! Haven't used them since the first time. Although...thinking for this trip, since we are staying in a different place every night before the cruise, a packing cube might be helpful moving daily stuff around so we aren't getting into every bag every day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I agree--jeans on the plane and then I'll have them if I want to re-wear them...

I felt the same way about packing cubes. I bought some a few years ago because everybody raves about them, but they just didn't help me at all! Haven't used them since the first time. Although...thinking for this trip, since we are staying in a different place every night before the cruise, a packing cube might be helpful moving daily stuff around so we aren't getting into every bag every day.

I did stick with my packing cube for the undergarments/socks and such....it was easy to use a tiny one for the things that are harder to wrangle and keep in their "space" in the bag hahaha

but if y'all get the HUGE hefty zip close bags?  (love them way more than any ziploc bag hahaha) Those are amazing for my jackets and large things that need air squished out of.....and it doesn't matter if they aren't completely airtight, as they only need to be tiny when I am packing/closing the bag, then it can expand as much as it wants inside the closed bag HAHAHAH

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

I did stick with my packing cube for the undergarments/socks and such....it was easy to use a tiny one for the things that are harder to wrangle and keep in their "space" in the bag hahaha

but if y'all get the HUGE hefty zip close bags?  (love them way more than any ziploc bag hahaha) Those are amazing for my jackets and large things that need air squished out of.....and it doesn't matter if they aren't completely airtight, as they only need to be tiny when I am packing/closing the bag, then it can expand as much as it wants inside the closed bag HAHAHAH

Ok now I have that jingle stuck in my head  "Hefty, Hefty, Hefty!  LOL I admit it, I am easily amused!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One thing I tried to find information on when I first started planning our trip was how soon did I need to book excursions? Everybody says book as soon as possible because Alaska excursions are known to sell out. I think that's sound advice, BUT if you are booking ship's excursions, you can keep track of how many spots are available by looking at the excursions details. I was really interested in how soon excursions typically sell out. A year in advance? 6 months?

I have all of our excursions booked but by looking at the details I can see we still have time to book more or change our minds. Here's what some excursions look like as of today, just shy of 1 year out from our cruise:

Hubbard Glacier 20 out of 20 spots still available

Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float 6 spots remaining

Mendenhall Glacier Explorer 20 spots remaining (this started with 20 and we booked 2, so this seems to confirm they add spots to some of the more popular tours as they get booked)

Ketchikan Fishing & Wilderness Dining 11 out of 12 spots available

Lumberjack Show 20 out of 20 spots available

YMMV depending on what time of summer your cruise is, but I feel comfortable saying 1 year out you will most likely get the excursions you want. I'll update again at 6 months!

• Like 1