First Growth Wine Flight

D&N

9 minutes ago, usbeef69 said:

I have more answers!

Do you have a choice of when? Since you can choose when to have this, I would recommend that you go thirty or so minutes early to whenever you want to eat as you are in Brittania Club. The advice I was given, as one in Brittania with open dining, was pretty much the same. Just ask to postpone your dinner order for however long you want to drink the wine.

Would they serve one set of 5 x 50ml glasses and allow 2 people to taste from those? They don’t mind if you share! Though I was told “it’s not a lot so make sure you’re good at sharing.” 

And if anyone knows; If you have drinks package, would this qualify for the 20% discount? I also looked into this for you. I’m told the cap is $150. If the price is above that you get no discount. So for your question about doing 5 glasses of wine versus the flight, it’s moot as for the discount as you won’t get one on either. Just depends if you want more milliliters or not 🙂

I’m attaching current pricing as well.

IMG_4912.jpeg

One final update—I was able to stop into Verandah, the steakhouse, and speak with their sommelier. He set up a time with me to do my tasting, so if you want to guarantee a time that’s not at your assigned main dining restaurant that is also an option.

Hope you enjoy your TA—I have been spoilt for choice here. (Commodore club got a new list of some very fancy old rums so I am in good booze nirvana). 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, usbeef69 said:

I have more answers!

Do you have a choice of when? Since you can choose when to have this, I would recommend that you go thirty or so minutes early to whenever you want to eat as you are in Brittania Club. The advice I was given, as one in Brittania with open dining, was pretty much the same. Just ask to postpone your dinner order for however long you want to drink the wine.

Would they serve one set of 5 x 50ml glasses and allow 2 people to taste from those? They don’t mind if you share! Though I was told “it’s not a lot so make sure you’re good at sharing.” 

And if anyone knows; If you have drinks package, would this qualify for the 20% discount? I also looked into this for you. I’m told the cap is $150. If the price is above that you get no discount. So for your question about doing 5 glasses of wine versus the flight, it’s moot as for the discount as you won’t get one on either. Just depends if you want more milliliters or not 🙂

I’m attaching current pricing as well.

IMG_4912.jpeg

Great information. Thank you.

I first spotted this on the August 2022 Wine List. Then it was $350. And the individual glasses were offered in 75ml servings, the most expensive of those being $135. General price increases and changing the servings to 125ml has drastically increased the price of them.

The idea of having a glass per night was fine when it was only 50% more millilitres, but 125ml is a bit much for tasting purposes.

I see your follow up confirms you are trying them. Enjoy!

Edited by D&N

1 minute ago, D&N said:

Great information. Thank you.

I first spotted this on the August 2022 Wine List. Then it was $350. And the individual glasses were offered in 75ml servings, the most expensive of those being $135. General price increases and changing the servings to 125ml has drastically increased the price of them.

The idea of having a glass per night was fine when it was only 50% more millilitres, but 125ml is a bit much for tasting purposes.

Are you trying it yourself?

This one’s definitely increased relative to the otherwise rather reasonable pricing for beer and spirits on board. But I’m definitely still doing this—tonight’s Gala night and I’m not passing up the opportunity to dress fancy and have some great wine! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, usbeef69 said:

This one’s definitely increased relative to the otherwise rather reasonable pricing for beer and spirits on board. But I’m definitely still doing this—tonight’s Gala night and I’m not passing up the opportunity to dress fancy and have some great wine! 

Had my tasting today. Highly recommend speaking with a sommelier to set one up—they will put you in the tasting room if there’s nothing else in there. I had mine up at the steakhouse pre dinner and they gave me some small canapés of duck, steak, lamb, and cheese which were excellent together. They pull their better sommeliers for this. Mine ducked in from Queens Grill to oversee, which was very nice. Knew a ton about the appellations and expected tasting notes. In all, great experience. 

Edited by usbeef69
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, usbeef69 said:

Had my tasting today. Highly recommend speaking with a sommelier to set one up—they will put you in the tasting room if there’s nothing else in there. I had mine up at the steakhouse pre dinner and they gave me some small canapés of duck, steak, lamb, and cheese which were excellent together. They pull their better sommeliers for this. Mine ducked in from Queens Grill to oversee, which was very nice. Knew a ton about the appellations and expected tasting notes. In all, great experience. 

Glad you enjoyed it. It's been really helpful to hear how it was done. Thank you.

We'll hopefully arrange ours pre dinner one night. We should be in same area of the Club dinning room as before. Last time our sommelier was very good. He was a Cellar Tracker and Vivino user himself and was there all fourteen nights. He was sometimes substituted at lunch time, but we'll only be drinking basic stuff then. Of course he may have been moved, but if that's the case hopefully they'll have a decent replacement.

We normally go to Chartroom for our aperitifs, and will replace that with the tasting. In effect it's equivalent to a 125ml glass of red each in place of a spritz or glass of prosecco.

39 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Sounds amazing, did they give you any indication of how often they do this?

They’ll set it up for you whenever if you ask! Funny you mention this, the chief sommelier actually prefers to schedule them as he finds it gives more one on one time to devote to just talking wine. 

• Like 2