Have you booked solo then added a roommate later?

momin05

7 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Keep in mind, if you wait too long to add the TBD person, the lifeboat capacity for your muster station could be full and the other person cannot be added. 

I could see that happening with a 3rd or 4th person in a room, but I don't know that it could happen with a second person. Could it?

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

With your single supplement you have already paid for the phantom second person.  So all that is added is the taxes and fees.  EM

4 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Yes, please do report back.  I would call my PVP and ask, but I don’t have any more future cruises in mind and I don’t want to waste his time.

Just spoke with my PVP and he said I have price protection on the first two people, so if I add a second, it is guaranteed at the rate I have paid in the solo supplement. I guess I am feeling better. 

btw, I booked another cruise and one of the cabins doesn’t know the second person yet so I told the PVP to just hold it and he would go in and pay the deposit and add the name. This is a workaround to the situation 😜

28 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Keep in mind, if you wait too long to add the TBD person, the lifeboat capacity for your muster station could be full and the other person cannot be added. 

Well now I don’t feel so good again!  I worried about the sellout, but hadn’t thought about it from a muster station point of view. I guess I just need to decide who the lucky person is that gets to go with me!

So much for outsmarting the system. PVP called me back and left a message…said he saw the deposit has been paid and we need to put a second name or else he will have to change it to a solo. 

When you book a “no name change” rate, I guess not allowing it to stay at TBA is their way of bringing in some extra change fees.

Please don't book a solo and try to add another person later. If the lifeboat is at capacity, you may not be able to add another person to the room, even if it is a two-person room. If you book the second person TBD, you can always remove them. When I book a TBD, I do not prepay gratuities until I know if a second person is cruising or not because you will pay for two. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dacsmom said:

Please don't book a solo and try to add another person later. If the lifeboat is at capacity, you may not be able to add another person to the room, even if it is a two-person room. If you book the second person TBD, you can always remove them. When I book a TBD, I do not prepay gratuities until I know if a second person is cruising or not because you will pay for two. 

It appears that just isn’t possible anymore, at least when you book with a PVP.  He has helped me so much, especially through the Covid rebookings, so I hate for him to not get credit for my bookings.  But I guess in the future if I have uncertainty, I just need to book it online. Or put in a name and pay for the name change. 

1 hour ago, momin05 said:

It appears that just isn’t possible anymore, at least when you book with a PVP.  He has helped me so much, especially through the Covid rebookings, so I hate for him to not get credit for my bookings.  But I guess in the future if I have uncertainty, I just need to book it online. Or put in a name and pay for the name change. 

The name change can be costly if Carnival adheres to its rules. It is technically a partial cancellation of the name being removed and then rebooking their fare to the current rates under the new name, which could be a lot higher as the cruise date starts to get closer.