Early Saver bookings?

CruiseMark

Hi,

I’ve cruised extensively but never with P&O. My Travel Agent is trying to dissuade me from booking with the P&O Early Saver fares. I’m trying to determine if she just wants a higher fare for her commission or whether the restrictions truly have an impact in real life. 

As I understand from the P&O site, Early Saver means:

No Cabin choice (guarantee within category or higher)

No guaranteed dining preference (not worried as I rarely eat in the MDR) 

Port Shuttle busses not included. Honestly this one surprised me. How much could that save?

For what it’s worth, this is for a 12 night Norway northern lights cruise.

Does anyone have any experience using these fares? Good? Bad?

Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, CruiseMark said:

Hi,

I’ve cruised extensively but never with P&O. My Travel Agent is trying to dissuade me from booking with the P&O Early Saver fares. I’m trying to determine if she just wants a higher fare for her commission or whether the restrictions truly have an impact in real life. 

As I understand from the P&O site, Early Saver means:

No Cabin choice (guarantee within category or higher)

No guaranteed dining preference (not worried as I rarely eat in the MDR) 

Port Shuttle busses not included. Honestly this one surprised me. How much could that save?

For what it’s worth, this is for a 12 night Norway northern lights cruise.

Does anyone have any experience using these fares? Good? Bad?

Thanks. 

If you really don't care too much where your cabin is, and don't use the MDR, then a saver fare could suit you. However,  check what you might get in the way of obc/parking etc if you were to book a select fare. Sometimes the difference can be quite small, and parking at Southampton can be quite expensive. 

If you go down the saver route, basically you are tied into that cruise,  so cannot move your deposit to a different cruise. 

• Like 2

Just ask your agent to price both grades - we usually do that.

It's easy enough then to work out if the difference is worth the extra money.  As wowzz said parking in Southampton has become quite expensive, although there are cheaper alternatives if you shop around.

Some cruises have a few port shuttles some have none - I suppose that's easily 'googleable' though.  Just be aware that if the port is a working port the shuttle is usually free.  Also, check the distance from the port to where you want to be as P&O have sometimes said its a 20 minute bus ride when its been an easy 10 minute walk!

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever used a port shuttle anywhere. They are very cheap even if you come across one

Price savings mean if you do cruise from Southampton it's far cheaper to pay for parking than have it included and have to pay select

And onboard credit doesn't make up for any select payments either

The bigger ships don't have set dining anyway

Depends how important cabin location is to you IMO

We use inside cabins. Makes zero difference to us where we are on the ship. We like to walk a lot when onboard anyway

So early savers suit us. Select offers us nothing except more expense. But that's us.

Cabin type and location is very important to lots of people

Prefer to spend the savings on cocktails and speciality dining and DIY port excursions

I doubt your TA is advising you for extra commission tbh. They probably value choosing a cabin and dining time etc As being worth it. Assuming it's a cruise with set dining times?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Waju said:

Just ask your agent to price both grades - we usually do that.

It's easy enough then to work out if the difference is worth the extra money.  As wowzz said parking in Southampton has become quite expensive, although there are cheaper alternatives if you shop around.

Some cruises have a few port shuttles some have none - I suppose that's easily 'googleable' though.  Just be aware that if the port is a working port the shuttle is usually free.  Also, check the distance from the port to where you want to be as P&O have sometimes said its a 20 minute bus ride when its been an easy 10 minute walk!

Thank you, I have. It’s anywhere from a £500 to £800 difference, depending on cabin type.

I’ll be flying in, so parking isn’t a concern. 

28 minutes ago, CruiseMark said:

Thank you, I have. It’s anywhere from a £500 to £800 difference, depending on cabin type.

I’ll be flying in, so parking isn’t a concern. 

Sorry, just realised where you're from!  I suppose you just have to decide what's important to you then - cabin choice or £500 to £800 to spend on board.  That amount would more than cover or bar bill as drinks are reasonable on P&O.

Happy choosing, that's half the fun!

• Like 1