Flight departure times in Vancouver

Sarahgraci

Hello! My husband and I are going on our first ever cruise in September. I just found a good airfare for the morning of departure from Vancouver, BC. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:30. Will I cause my husband and I undue stress if I book a flight leaving at 11:30am? Would you recommend this? Thanks, in advance! :)

i think you would be taking a chance by booking a flight that early. i have left from vancouver and it can be a nightmare. if there are more than a few ships coming in that morning the airport will be packed with people and bags. the lines are very long and it takes forever to get through customs and get to your gate. i would not book anything until 1:30 or later. for your peace of mind i would spend a little more to get a later flight.

If you are departing from Vancouver to a US destination you will have to clear US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver before you board the airplane. Depending on the amount of traffic, this can take upwards of 30 minutes.

Dear Sarahgracie,

We had a flight out of Vancouver last June after an Alaskan cruise and arrived one hour and 45 minutes prior to our flight departing. We barely made our plane. By the time we got checked in , through customs and immigration and then security our flight was already boarding when we got to our gate. We were very surprised at the length of the lines everywhere. I thought we had allowed enough time but we had not. We were a wreck by the time we got to the gate. The employees at the airport either can't or won't help in anyway if you are stuck in line and your flight is close to departing (believe me, I asked).

Keep in mind, we stayed 3 nights in Vancouver (a lovely city I might add) after our cruise, so this was not on the day we disembarked. I would think the lines may have been even worse on that day. Just wanted to share our experience with you, so you would be informed prior to booking your air.

Have a great cruise!

Nancy

nancy

you said it so true. as i stated above, i love vancouver . it is a wonderful city to visit and cruise from but i avoid the airport at all cost. it was a nightmare getting to my gate and like you i thought i was going to miss my flight. i dont know why they herd you around like cattle there but that is what the hold up is. longgggg lines for everything. so give your self LOTS of time to make your flights.

Sarahgraci

Hello. I think you are on the same Sept. 18 Coral Princess sailing we are on. If this is true, the Coral is the only ship in port that day. Passenger loads should be lighter than usual. There is a very good chance you will make the flight.

However, if a similar flight is available 1-2 hours later, I think you should give yourself some breathing room.

We are taking an early flight the next morning.

Let me know if you have any further questions!!

Belle

Archived