That did it for me

Sky Sweet

Boy, a lot of emotions here...

The turning point for us was upon entering our Grand Suite on the Costa Magica! Despite being advertised as 630 sq ft, including balcony, the suite was 325-350 sq ft max - including balcony, closets, et all! Not a big matter to some, but on a 17 night TA with numerous sea-days, as well as the price difference involved, it was a very big issue for us over the course of the cruise. Needless to say, we will never cruise Costa again for pulling such a fast one!

TnT

I hate to say this, but I think the thing that is going to end up driving me away from my beloved Celebrity is that X simply doesn't want my business. No Caribbean sailings in the summer. There are at least 8 of us traveling together, and we certainly can't afford Europe or the Mediterranean (even if the cruise is reasonable, airfare for 8 is just too much). We have school-aged kids traveling with us, so it has to be summer. So since X seems to think this traveling demographic is no longer worthy of its service, we're looking elsewhere. Bummer.

I feel the same way. We absolutely love Celebrity but the itineraries no longer work for us. I will have to say never again with Carnival because of mediocre service and terrible food. We did give it a second try which only solidified our opinion.

NEVER EVER, EVEN FOR FREE would I go on NCL!!! Freestyle, is awful. The food the service, everything. And if you love a really tiny cabin NCL is your line. I'm sticking with Celebrity a true class act.;)
what ship did you cruise? Everyone has his/her own ideas. We did the Sun about 4 years ago and a year later Celebrity, in both cases we had a balcony cabin: sq feet Celebrity 171: sun 178: balcony I think was exactly the same. We also did the Sea twice and RCIs Majesty: the cabins on the Sea (no longer part of NCL) 125 sq ft, really tiny: RCI Majesty: 120 sq ft. It is important when we compare lines, we compare the same age ships and the catagory. NCL and RCI probably overall have smaller cabins than some, while Carnival has the largest by far. As for not liking freestyle that is a matter of opinion. Some love being able to choose from 8-12 restaurants and choose the time from 5:30 to 10:00. Others prefer traditional. It is great we have so many choices. For us, we do prefer freestyle but would never choose a line based on one or two features. For us NCL happens to be our favorite line, closely followed by Celebrity. The rest we would cruise based on itienrary and price. There in no line I would say "Never" and when dealing with clients I make sure I ask as many questions as possible so I can help them decide on what is best for them. I am not a lover of Carnival but often realize some will be happy with what they offer. NMNita

REmember you are on the Celebrity board and the most loyal passengers ever are the Celebrity ones. NMNita

I know and my next cruise is on Galaxy but I just thought that remark called for a little sarcasm.

Excuse me but I did get the date wrong. We cruised on the Sky in Oct. 2001, My husband reminded me that we flew to Hawaii almost exactly one month after 9/11. It was a 10 day cruise because we had to go to a small Island, (Fanning Island, I think) and dock before we could dock back in Hawaii because of the Jones Act. I got out my Album for that Cruise and the picture of us getting on the ship says NCL Sky. So you are right I was off by one year, but I was right about the name of the ship and the length of the cruise and what on earth would my reason be to come on this board and lie about something so trival?

Vie Lee,

I am posting this with no disrepect meant to NewMexicoNita.:)

Some people have THEIR favorite cruiseline, and when something bad is said about said cruiseline, they will defend it to the end.

You will find this on any given cruise board. Pick a line and there will be the defenders. Nothing wrong with being passionate about something.

Unfortunately or fortunately however you choose to view it I have no allegiance to any particular cruiseline. If they are going where I want and the price is agreeable then I'm there.:)

Bill

We did one HAL cruise, great itinerary, basically everything OK EXCEPT the plumbing in our cabin failed 7 out of the 10 days that we were on the ship. Customer Service on the ship could have cared less; after we returned home I received a rather arrogant letter from HAL which had, as its basic assumption, the idea that I would readilly book another trip on one of their ships within the next 9 months........

Needless to say, their mailings go directly from the mailbox to the recyling bin with no intermediate stops.

It wasn't the mechanical failure, it was HAL's attitude.

Excuse me but I did get the date wrong. We cruised on the Sky in Oct. 2001, My husband reminded me that we flew to Hawaii almost exactly one month after 9/11. It was a 10 day cruise because we had to go to a small Island, (Fanning Island, I think) and dock before we could dock back in Hawaii because of the Jones Act. I got out my Album for that Cruise and the picture of us getting on the ship says NCL Sky. So you are right I was off by one year, but I was right about the name of the ship and the length of the cruise and what on earth would my reason be to come on this board and lie about something so trival?
I am not accusing you of lieing for heaven's sake. I was just shocked knowing that the Sky didn't exist 6 years ago and it never did Hawaii. Are you sure it wasn't the Star, well I guess if there was a picture of it and said the SKy it was the SKY? The Sky was not originally designed for freestyle totally. I ask because that was about the time the Star went into the water in Hawaii. Yes freestyle was a nightmare at that time. You are right about the Fanning Island part, now NCL has 2 ships that do just Hawaii and a third one will enter the water next year. They have all American crews. Freestyle has changed but still isn't for everyone. There are no more lines as in the original days, they have even more dining choices than before and the program that started to be a disaster is becoming more popular all the time. I have serveral clients that will only cruise NCL or maybe Princess because of this type of dining even some who prefer other lines are addicted to the choice of eating where and when you want. NMnita Ps I didn't mean to put you on the defense, I just wanted a clarification, that's all. I am sorry if I upset you so much.

Vie Lee,

I am posting this with no disrepect meant to NewMexicoNita.:)

Some people have THEIR favorite cruiseline, and when something bad is said about said cruiseline, they will defend it to the end.

You will find this on any given cruise board. Pick a line and there will be the defenders. Nothing wrong with being passionate about something.

Unfortunately or fortunately however you choose to view it I have no allegiance to any particular cruiseline. If they are going where I want and the price is agreeable then I'm there.:)

Bill

Thanks Bill and I have 2 favorites: NCL and Celebrity. I was just terribly confused as a TA and pretty much an expert on NCL to see her message. I certainly didn't mean to get Vie Lee upset.

NMNIta,

Now you have me confused...

In the following statement you state:

Yes freestyle was a nightmare at that time. You are right about the Fanning Island part, now NCL has 2 ships that do just Hawaii and a third one will enter the water next year.

Isn't the Pride of Hawaii scheduled to enter service in a few months, June 5th to be exact?

I don't follow NCL that much so maybe the inaugarul has been pushed back?

Bill

NMNIta,

Now you have me confused...

In the following statement you state:

Isn't the Pride of Hawaii scheduled to enter service in a few months, June 5th to be exact?

I don't follow NCL that much so maybe the inaugarul has been pushed back?

Bill

ok, so I am thinking ahead; of course the Pride of Hawaii is due out and on schedule, at least at this time. I have also gone back and checked on the Sky situation: she did cruise in Hawaii in fall of 2001. She cruised 4 times, then returned to the Caribbean as soon as the Star made her debut. Again, I am totally loyal to NCL but closely behind in Celebrity. I depend on my clients to keep me informed about other lines as I am so into these 2 for different reasons. NCL offers freestyle which for some of us is the answer to relaxed cruising: Celebrity offers a little step up from other lines, but every line has its nitch and no line should be blasted as they all offer a great cruising experience. One bad cruise should never result in total flaming. NMNita

NMNIta,

I like to just take in info. I cruised on NCL 13 years ago and had the only cruise that left a bad taste in my mouth. It was my second cruise. I have since cruised about 11 more times.

I have considered NCL a few times since because of the 3rd person rates I always opt to book another line if the prices are close.

While I don't bash the line,(much) I must say their consistency is very inconsistant. Most lines reviews are pretty consistant, either on the bad side or the good side. NCL's reviews are all over the map.

Reading multiple reviews from the same cruise you'll find some raves, some OKs and some terible. Although I take reviews with a grain of salt, I can't seem to get a good read on the NCL cruises from reading the reviews.

Most lines I can read 10 reviews and if 8 are good and 2 are bad I can get a read that the line/ship is OK, going with the premise that you can't please everybody.

The one thing that dissuades me from booking NCL is the constant rants about the food, which is really important to me. BTW that was my main concern on my one and only cruise on NCL. A lot of people say the food is OK to inedible unless you go to the pay restaurants. That is not good to me and always makes me remember my one and only NCL cruise.

I think one of these days I may take the plunge again. I just hope I find out I have made a big mistake not cruising NCL all these years.

Bill

NMNIta,

I like to just take in info. I cruised on NCL 13 years ago and had the only cruise that left a bad taste in my mouth. It was my second cruise. I have since cruised about 11 more times.

I have considered NCL a few times since because of the 3rd person rates I always opt to book another line if the prices are close.

While I don't bash the line,(much) I must say their consistency is very inconsistant. Most lines reviews are pretty consistant, either on the bad side or the good side. NCL's reviews are all over the map.

Reading multiple reviews from the same cruise you'll find some raves, some OKs and some terible. Although I take reviews with a grain of salt, I can't seem to get a good read on the NCL cruises from reading the reviews.

Most lines I can read 10 reviews and if 8 are good and 2 are bad I can get a read that the line/ship is OK, going with the premise that you can't please everybody.

The one thing that dissuades me from booking NCL is the constant rants about the food, which is really important to me. BTW that was my main concern on my one and only cruise on NCL. A lot of people say the food is OK to inedible unless you go to the pay restaurants. That is not good to me and always makes me remember my one and only NCL cruise.

I think one of these days I may take the plunge again. I just hope I find out I have made a big mistake not cruising NCL all these years.

Bill

Bill, I have never seen you bash NCL and I am on these board constantly. I get lots on info here. I can't always experience everything so have to depend on what is being said. As for the food on NCL> we have had very good and not so good, I do admit. Lately I think all the lines have taken a dive, even Celebrity, but I do like C meats. NCL has the specialty restaurants which is one of the selling features and normally the food is outstanding plus the extra charge is about 1/3 other lines; add the number of choices and they get much of our business, but when I am selling cruises to clients I never show my partiality because each client has his/her reason for choosing a cruiseline. If they don't knwo what they want I try to ask enough questions to put them on the right ship. Do give NCL another try someday; you might be surprised. NMnita

When you get to be my age you do forget things, but I didn't think I was that far gone. Even after seeing my pictures, I did an internet search and by putting in NCL Sky 2001, I found a Reiview on the Sky by a gentleman named Steve Moore who had done the exact same cruise we did, but his was Nov 9th 2001. This whole thing got me thinking because we are going on our 12th cruise on the Summit in April and there might come a day when we really can't remember, so we decided to make a list off all our cruises, dates, cruise lines, people we met, etc. This will also help explain to the kids were their inheritance went. LOL

Vie Lee

When you get to be my age you do forget things, but I didn't think I was that far gone. Even after seeing my pictures, I did an internet search and by putting in NCL Sky 2001, I found a Reiview on the Sky by a gentleman named Steve Moore who had done the exact same cruise we did, but his was Nov 9th 2001. This whole thing got me thinking because we are going on our 12th cruise on the Summit in April and there might come a day when we really can't remember, so we decided to make a list off all our cruises, dates, cruise lines, people we met, etc. This will also help explain to the kids were their inheritance went. LOL

Vie Lee

You tell your kids where their inheritance is going, I tell mine, if they aren't good to me I won't even leave them my bills. LOL

Everything about carnival sucked, the service, the food, and the people.

Now how did Carnival ever convince enough people to make it the most successful and most profitable of cruise companies? According to certain analysts, Celebrity is even less successful than its parent RCCL in attracting enough paying customers.

What particular experience on a cruise made you decide to make it your cruise line of choice or to never sail on one of its ships again?

We have cruised quite a bit and from general experience I would say Never say Never. The best cruise we have taken was on NCL. We have cruised on NCL once and the food was the worst of any cruise we have taken. However the Dream cruised to the eastern Mediterranean, including Israel and our tours were memorable. For the same money I would do it again in an instant. From all accounts I've read, the Dream has become a nightmare but the newer ships have pricing for S America that might attract me eventually. I have never cruised on Carnival but I was tempted with their Transatlantic this fall at a very attractive price.

We have cruised the most with Celebrity but I find their Elite program offers few perks for frequent cruisers (how many back stage and kitchen tours can you take) and the 10 minutes of internet is good for checking two emails.. Their food and service are great but their activities are largely controlled from head office and quizes, puzzles, trivia, newlywed game etc always have the same questions (which is your favorite condiment).... (why trojan of course HA HA).

HAL has a level of service and food comparable to Celebrity and more cruise options to choose from. Perks for multi cruisers are non-existent. There were fewer activities than on Celebrity but I like the art work on the non-vista ships much better. The ships were designed by the same people who designed Michael's Club... or so it seems. I find them classier than Celebrity ships.

Princess offers a lower level of service and food (which cost me a healthy tooth... but that is another story). However the perks for frequent cruisers are the best in the industry and those perks are going to draw me back to the Princess fold. Free internet, and after a few more cruises, free laundry and drycleaning. The size of cabins vary more, the trivia is better organized (except for Battle of the Sexes) and Princess has more options for destinations.

RCCL, despite having cruised on three different ships, has not attracted me for some reason.

So to get back to the point of this thread, don't limit yourself to any specific line. Investigate each ship and line before you book. Don't take the advice of just one or two posters. But if enough people have negative comments about a product, then there might be a problem. Many people have nocked the Carnival product but talk to some of the people on the Carnival boards to see why they like it so much. I have completed 40 weeks of sailing on Celebrity but their product is becoming stale because of repetition of entertainment and activities that drew me to Celebrity in the first place. If the itinerary or price is right I'll continue to sail but I will look at alternatives first.... especially if there is an opportunity to dance:) (lessons included)

Points to ponder: why are there no cruise connection group sailings on Celebrity but so many on Carnival?

Well, I won't use the word "never", but I can't see me boarding another NCL ship. Cruised on the Star (Hawaii) 3 years ago - well 4 years this coming July. While the ship was lovely, service was fair at best. What turned me off was the freestyle dining. Waiting an hour for a table for two would have been a good evening. Put me right off. We work too hard for our cruise $$ to risk another vacation like that. Happy with RCCL, but would love to try Celebrity.

Having cruised through two Eras. The pre 90's and the post 90's. There have been a lot of changes in cruising.

Pre - HAL and Home lines. Nice ships great food - from what I remember. Nice people to meet. Not a lot of activities beyond everything at night.

Post - Celebrity, Princess, HAL, RCCL. Celebrity seems to be the best fit for the wife and I. Great mix of people, activity and extras.

RCCL - food and service not as good.

HAL - food, service were close but not top notch and not a lot of activity on the ship.

Princess - small room size, food and services were not there, activity was good. Shows were the best I have seen. But working with their customer service area has put me off them forever.

Celebrity is home for me. We have been on a lot of cruises - 31 for the wife and 28 for me. Celebrity is where our friends work. They go the extra step to make each cruise memorable. They will meet you half way. If you go beyone that - they will go beyone that to make that something extra special.

I agree with MrLee..... I have had 10 GREAT cruises and 4 of those were on Carnival! I guess I was also wrong. :)

I know many on this board don't want to hear this but all cruise lines are about the same. They DO NOT vary that much. Our only Celebrity cruise on Century rates well below the Carnival Legend and Pride.

Our only Celebrity cruise on Century rates well below the Carnival Legend and Pride.

Since I love Century I would like to know what happened and what you liked about Carnival... I don't think I'm a basher but I am curious. I want to keep all options open for further (good) cruise experiences.

Originally posted by C 2 C

Now how did Carnival ever convince enough people to make it the most successful and most profitable of cruise companies? According to certain analysts, Celebrity is even less successful than its parent RCCL in attracting enough paying customers.

Simply -because Carnival appeals to a certain demographic, that is

a) less afluent

b) inclined to take shorter cruises from US home ports

c) more 'kid-friendly' (Aargh!! Spoiled brats run amuck!!!)

d) pads the bottom line with endless bingo, 'art' auctions, faux gambling

such as horse races and other gimmickry, constantly irritating repetitive announcements for same, etc.

Certainly, trailer-parks are profitable - but I don't care to live in one!

Also, one important point: I am using Celebrity's services, not buying stock in their company. I frankly couldn't care less how profitable the line is, with one caveat; that they not go bankrupt during my cruise.

I rather doubt that would happen with Celebrity (or the parent company!).

Other cruise line companies:

HAL: I have sailed with once with them, so I can't comment from an extensive POV, but the demographic here is very senior (70+ average), soft foods in dining, ship's public areas are deserted after 10PM - sort of an 'assisted living at sea'. We had a hospital case every port (Alaska trip), and three passengers expired during our week on board. My wife and I are professionals in our early forties, and I'm not quite ready for a retirement home!:rolleyes:

RCCL, Costa, Princess: Haven't sailed on them.

Celebrity offers guest lecturers, good food (great in M-class specialty restaurants!), NO ANNOUNCEMENTS, beautiful ships & great itineraries (non-Caribbean, especially). I have yet to hear of an equivalent to the CC class on other lines, too. Looking forward to Equinox & Solstice!:cool:

I will answer if the BASHERS will stay away. First we had a GREAT time, I am simply listing things that were not up to par but I don't let little things ruin my cruise! :)

#1 Entertainment - the Celebrity production numbers were not good. However, the individual performances were great. (Ladder Guy, Violinist,etc)

#2 Activities - No one showed up for shuffleboard or darts. (sea days) Pool activites were poorly run and they could not get people to participate so they went from chair to chair to try and get people involved.

#3 Embarkation - We were handed numbers when we first arrived but then they opened the doors and it was a free for all and the numbers were never called. (we were one of the early people) We had a lady trying to check us in who did not know what she was doing. She checked with other agents a couple times and then took us to another agent to finish our paperwork because she didn't know what to do. (the 2nd one was very nice and apologetic) Also, the swipe machine for credit cards and passports didn't work.

#4 Room - Smaller than Carnival and the bathroom was not nice. The shower needs remodeled and mold removed. Our safe didn't work one morning and we had to carry our stuff with us one sea day because they had removed the guts to the thing and couldn't get it fixed.

#5 no open "atrium" area

#6 pre dinner dance floor was so small people danced on the carpet

#7 Food - I hate to say much because food is so subjective but the food and the food presentation on Century was not as good as other cruises. When we mentioned this at our final cruise critic meeting others agreed and the die-hard X'ers said not to judge Celebrity's food by what we had on the Century. Well I'm sorry but that is all we have to go by and to me the standards should be the same if Celebrity's name is on the ship. (just as some try to judge Carnival by some older ship they were on 10 years ago)

Like I said we don't let anything ruin our cruise. We just are not "loyal" to any one line becuase we have had fun on all lines and have found very little difference between them.

Archived