Britannia Suite vs Saga Cabin

wowzz

We received the 2024 Saga brochure yesterday. Looking through it, we found an interesting 9 night cruise to Norway, leaving from Dover in 2024. A lot of money, (relatively),  but we have had two previous Saga cruises booked, so thought that we should finally take the plunge. However,  I do like to dwell on these expensive decisions, so decided to sleep on it.

Woke up, and for the hell of it, looked at the Britannia cruise to Norway in September next year. An aft suite, with wrap around balcony, will cost slightly less than the Saga standard cabin, plus we get obc on P&O. But, only 7 days, rather than 9, so not much to choose between them on a per diem basis. 

So, without going into the whys and wherefores of the Saga extras (transfer,  free drinks etc) given the choice, which would you choose ?

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We received the 2024 Saga brochure yesterday. Looking through it, we found an interesting 9 night cruise to Norway, leaving from Dover in 2024. A lot of money, (relatively),  but we have had two previous Saga cruises booked, so thought that we should finally take the plunge. However,  I do like to dwell on these expensive decisions, so decided to sleep on it.

Woke up, and for the hell of it, looked at the Britannia cruise to Norway in September next year. An aft suite, with wrap around balcony, will cost slightly less than the Saga standard cabin, plus we get obc on P&O. But, only 7 days, rather than 9, so not much to choose between them on a per diem basis. 

So, without going into the whys and wherefores of the Saga extras (transfer,  free drinks etc) given the choice, which would you choose ?

Britannia for me Wowzz. The aft suite with wraparound balcony has already sold it to me. Having said that, my criteria is probably different to yours. I don't drink so the inclusive package is totally wasted on me and I usually find OBC on P&O covers the costs of my coffees and soft drinks. My next door neighbours, in their 80s and great fun, absolutely love Saga and find the convenience of being picked up from home a no-brainer. Good luck with your decision. Jane x

Depends on how important your cabin is to you. With the Britannia cruise, you'll presumably only have 2 sea days and how much of that would you wish to spend in the cabin?

Food and surroundings will probably be better on Saga but entertainment options will be better on P&O.

In your shoes, having booked before but not sailed on Saga I would probably go for the Saga option.

Mind you, if all the Saga pax have the same attitude that Ladycommonsense and Cynthia Darch appear to have, it might be a safer option to go for Britannia...

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

Saga tend to go to the more interesting ports (not sure if this applies in your case). In terms of the suite wrap around balcony, on the saga ships you can get a balcony cabin right at the back with easy access to the lovely terraces that tie down the back of the ship. I would also say that the public areas of the saga ships are much less busy and seem more spacious and beautifully laid out than Britannia, so I’m not sure you’d make much use of the extra space in the suite. As others have said, you get so much included for the standard balcony cabin on Saga ships that there’s not much more in the way of extras you would get in a Britannia suite. I would take the extra days!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

While I don’t feel that we need a suit, we don’t need to host parties and manage at home without employing a butler, the Saga package and service is appealing.

You say that you have toyed with Saga before, so if you feel that the services well be of benefit eg drinks included, then go for Saga as it’s a good opportunity to try the brand, if you don’t you will have the same conundrum next year.

• Like 2

I have cruised with P&O 34 times on various ships including Britannia (twice). Never in a suite, usually in balcony cabins. I have sailed with Saga 3 times, twice on SoD and once on SoA. Also in balcony cabins.

Given the approximate equality of prices, it comes down to how much value you place on the extra space in a Britannia suite compared with a Saga cabin - although it is worth noting that Saga standard balcony cabins are larger than those on P&O. Or would you rather spend your money on better food, better service, more public space per passenger, more luxurious public areas, and a much better onboard atmosphere?

For me it would have to be Saga anytime.

Edited by Denarius
grammar
  • Like 2

This post encouraged me to look further afield than P&O and in particular SAGA.

I know the post revolves around suites but I am going on Britannia with my wife for two weeks in May this year in a standard balcony, at the select price, in a position chosen by me. I compared this cruise with an equivalent SAGA cruise at roughly the same time and route in their standard balcony, also in a similar position chosen by me.

I readily accept that there are a lot of extras thrown in with SAGA, and the cruise would have had three extra ports, BUT the difference was, roughly, an eye watering £7000, which makes it about three times the cost of P&O!!!

I'll stick with P&O for the time being.

• Like 3

The Britannia aft corner suites every time. We love those corner suites - and the similar ones on Iona etc - and having that significant private space on the balcony rather lying among lines and lines of sunloungers on deck with everyone else makes it a special experience.

Plus the opportunity to host mini private gatherings on our balcony.

Edited by Camberley

26 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

This post encouraged me to look further afield than P&O and in particular SAGA.

I know the post revolves around suites but I am going on Britannia with my wife for two weeks in May this year in a standard balcony, at the select price, in a position chosen by me. I compared this cruise with an equivalent SAGA cruise at roughly the same time and route in their standard balcony, also in a similar position chosen by me.

I readily accept that there are a lot of extras thrown in with SAGA, and the cruise would have had three extra ports, BUT the difference was, roughly, an eye watering £7000, which makes it about three times the cost of P&O!!!

I'll stick with P&O for the time being.

....or take another 2 P&O cruises. Know what I would do.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

But if you had booked at launch, whilst there would still have been a price difference, it would not have been as large. Booking late with Saga is a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

What's even better about Britannia is that I've just had an email from P&O  informing me that 'Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep can’t wait to welcome you on board'.

Whew!

That would be enough to drive me away to Saga...

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

BUT the difference was, roughly, an eye watering £7000

Sorry guys, my maths was a bit out. It should have only been about £6000 not £7000.

P&O + Wallace & Gromit etc still get my vote.

Edited by Pine Man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Sorry guys, my maths was a bit out. It should have only been about £6000 not £7000.

P&O + Wallace & Gromit etc still get my vote.

But probably only (!) £2000 if you had booked in 2022.

We have had 10 cruises on P&O since 2013 and 2 on Saga in (2021&2022).  Saga cruises were booked during lockdown as we hoped for a better experience than the last P&O cruise.  Everything was excellent on the first Saga cruise with the exception of the wardrobe in standard balcony on Adventure, however I was prepared for second cruise but it is still frustrating leaving things in cases under the bed!  Yes I do take too much.  Our replacement P&O (from 2020) we had on Iona in October was not too bad, but the increased number of passengers did feel strange to us after Saga.  I think you have to go with an open mind, but most things on Saga are superior.   We have Aurora booked in October and Saga next April. It is difficult to weigh up the £ difference as two completely different experiences.

• Like 2

I'd go with Saga, because it'd be a different experience for me, and I'd prefer to be on a smaller ship.

We have also received the 2024 Saga brochure and there is something that has caught my eye, we may be tempted, having a think about it at present 

Thanks for all the replies. Always good to get a choice of opinions.

When I did my sums more diligently,  the aft suite on Britannia was costing around £60 per day more than Saga,  and the price differential would have been even more if we had gone for the lowest cabin category on Saga.

So the pricing, plus the fact that even although the suite looked fantastic, we would, at the end of the day, still be on a mass market cruise ship (which is not being judgemental) swung the balance in favour of Saga. And also, time may be running out for us to experience small(ish) ship cruising. 

End result  - just booked Saga for next year.

Five cruises now booked , counting the one starting on Saturday.  Mrs W is now hiding the brochures away !

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for all the replies. Always good to get a choice of opinions.

When I did my sums more diligently,  the aft suite on Britannia was costing around £60 per day more than Saga,  and the price differential would have been even more if we had gone for the lowest cabin category on Saga.

So the pricing, plus the fact that even although the suite looked fantastic, we would, at the end of the day, still be on a mass market cruise ship (which is not being judgemental) swung the balance in favour of Saga. And also, time may be running out for us to experience small(ish) ship cruising. 

End result  - just booked Saga for next year.

Five cruises now booked , counting the one starting on Saturday.  Mrs W is now hiding the brochures away !

Well done on making a decision! .....and may all your fellow passengers be nice ones! 🤞😉

• Like 2