New to MSC.....mind answering a few questions?

BrownEyedGirl50

I have tried to search for the answers, but came up short.  I am taking a 4 night on Seaside 4/19 and have a few questions for planning.

1. Does the safe use a keypad or have to have a card to swipe to use?

2. Do you have to use a card to work the A/C?  If so, any kind of card or your Cruise Card?

3. At Ocean Cay, are loungers and umbrellas provided or for a charge?

Would love any advice or suggestions you want to offer!  First Solo cruise - celebrating my divorce!😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrownEyedGirl50 said:

Please see answers below:

I have tried to search for the answers, but came up short.  I am taking a 4 night on Seaside 4/19 and have a few questions for planning.

1. Does the safe use a keypad or have to have a card to swipe to use? its a touchpad with a 4 digit number you choose.

2. Do you have to use a card to work the A/C?  If so, any kind of card or your Cruise Card? Your cruise card (and it must be the actual card with their chip in it) must be in the card holder by the door to activate the AC 

3. At Ocean Cay, are loungers and umbrellas provided or for a charge? Loungers are everywhere they are yours to use, over by Lighthouse Beach there are a few free umbrellas-otherwise rent them for $14 each 

Would love any advice or suggestions you want to offer!  First Solo cruise - celebrating my divorce!😆Have a wonderful time!!! 

Edited by mmbcater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrownEyedGirl50 said:

2. Do you have to use a card to work the A/C?  If so, any kind of card or your Cruise Card?

Seaside cabin card slots will lower the A/C and cut certain power outlets/lighting if there is not an RFI card in the slot.  I've actually successfully used cards from hotels that use RFI and old cruise cards from previous MSC sailings on the newer ships that use the same card technology.  If you decide to leave a card in the slot while you're away be prepared for your cabin to not be serviced by your steward.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Até said:

If you decide to leave a card in the slot while you're away be prepared for your cabin to not be serviced by your steward.

Why? Doesn't MSC use the lights for DND or Make up room?

48 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

On Seaside the card in the slot will turn on a light outside indicating you are inside the cabin - Its been a while since I sailed Seaside so not positive if there is a separate specific DND switch.

I've had several cabin stewards tell me they are told in the case of an occupied cabin light not to enter unless you answer that it is okay for them to come in after they knock.  I've been told a non-answer can override the make up cabin light.  A busy steward may need little more inventive to move along - I've personally not had that happen but I have been asked not to do it.  Then again, I've had stewards offer me extra cards to keep in there.

If you decide to leave a card in the slot it might be best to inform the steward about your intentions. 

Personally I don't find it necessary to leave the power on while I'm out and it just causes unnecessary confusion for the stewards.  I don't like using my actual cruise card in the slot because I have accidentally left it in and locked myself out several times.  So I use another card and just tuck it behind the reader when I leave.  If I forget to remove it I can still get back inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We leave the card in the slot for the duration of the cruise
We like our cabin cool t is the only way to keep it so.

NOT ONCE has our cabin not been serviced with a card in slot inside the cabin.

DND is a completely different button 

Happy Days!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hutcha said:

They do

DND and power card slot, two completely different things, someone is getting very confused.

You can see DND and Make up Room buttons above slot for power 

Separate entity 

AF01AC35-03CC-4AE2-A5BA-097BE3ABE359.jpeg

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Thanks 1

As I stated I couldn't remember the specific DND switch or not.  I'm still pretty certain in addition to the DND light and make-up-room light there is specific light outside above the cabin door that lights up when a card is in the slot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

We leave the card in the slot for the duration of the cruise
We like our cabin cool t is the only way to keep it so.

NOT ONCE has our cabin not been serviced with a card in slot inside the cabin.

DND is a completely different button 

Happy Days!

I am also very hot natured and like it cool. Does the air not run at all if there is no card in it? 

6 minutes ago, Até said:

As I stated I couldn't remember the specific DND switch or not.  I'm still pretty certain in addition to the DND light and make-up-room light there is specific light outside above the cabin door that lights up when a card is in the slot.

You are correct

there are 3 lights 

2 minutes ago, extractfairy said:

I am also very hot natured and like it cool. Does the air not run at all if there is no card in it? 

ALL power to cabin is off, if no card inserted.

We have found rooms on all the MSC ships we have sailed to be a little on the warmer side 

Hence we keep the card in at all times

YMMV

Happy Days!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greygooser said:

So if I do want to leave a card in the slot, would I have to tell them I "lost" it and they'd give me a 2nd card? I assume the "lost" card would no longer work on the ship, but it would work to keep the power on.

You don’t need to lose any cards 

Just use an old hotel card or ask steward, room attendant (butler) for a piece of blank plastic 
Basically any credit card size piece of plastic will work, all you are doing is blocking a sensor, it is not very high tech.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

You don’t need to lose any cards 

Just use an old hotel card or ask steward, room attendant (butler) for a piece of blank plastic 
Basically any credit card size piece of plastic will work, all you are doing is blocking a sensor, it is not very high tech.

That was my experience on NCL as well, I only ask because earlier in the thread someone said you need an RFI card. I'll bring an old NCL card just in case.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greygooser said:

That was my experience on NCL as well, I only ask because earlier in the thread someone said you need an RFI card. I'll bring an old NCL card just in case.

RFID  Keycard switches are only used by a handful of hotel chains 

(more expensive) 

We have not experienced a ship or hotel yet, that has the (magic) as it is called RFID version.

In the future, ships might be kitted out with the magic version, but for now even a folded piece of paper can block the sensor or activate the little switch inside.

We also use old room keys from other sailings 😉

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

Any card, or even a piece of paper will work on older MSC ships up to the Fantasia class.  Meraviglia and Seaside on up need the RFID card.

Below hotel cards worked for me on Seaside but old cruise cards will work also.

20230330_123347.thumb.jpg.2810e724b30e51458995658c108d3e01.jpg

Do you mind if I ask a couple of newbie questions - how much are tips on onside cabin? Can you seardh excursions  & prices before booking? Looks like there are 2 dining times, early seems to be open dining as late is 9:30? I have matched my Princess status which gets me the highest on MSC, any real benefits to that? Looks like there are no roll calls for MSC?

15 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Do you mind if I ask a couple of newbie questions - how much are tips on onside cabin? Can you seardh excursions  & prices before booking? Looks like there are 2 dining times, early seems to be open dining as late is 9:30? I have matched my Princess status which gets me the highest on MSC, any real benefits to that? Looks like there are no roll calls for MSC?

Let's assume you are talking about a sailing from the US.  Regardless of room type, MSC has a service charge of $14.50 per person/per night.  Depending on how full the ship is, there could be three sittings.  If it is two sittings, times will usually be around 6:00 and 8:30 (give or take a half-hour).  Look up the Voyager benefits.  You get 5% off your booking, and at Diamond level you get a free tasting menu dinner at a specialty restaurant for two people  There are roll calls.  Got to Roll Calls, MSC, and your ship.

53 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Let's assume you are talking about a sailing from the US.  Regardless of room type, MSC has a service charge of $14.50 per person/per night.  Depending on how full the ship is, there could be three sittings.  If it is two sittings, times will usually be around 6:00 and 8:30 (give or take a half-hour).  Look up the Voyager benefits.  You get 5% off your booking, and at Diamond level you get a free tasting menu dinner at a specialty restaurant for two people  There are roll calls.  Got to Roll Calls, MSC, and your ship.

Thank yiou. The cruise is from Southampton UK so I'm also trying to gather as much info on the port also. I have never sailes out of there. I'll go find the roll calls now.

37 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Thank yiou. The cruise is from Southampton UK so I'm also trying to gather as much info on the port also. I have never sailes out of there. I'll go find the roll calls now.

If yo go to the main Forums page, you can see a link to MSC Roll Calls.  A bit further down is a link to UK Cruising with lots of information about Southampton:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

• Thanks 1