Trip insurance - level of cancellation coverage

ChiefMateJRK

I know we've covered this before, but I can't find the details when I search.  I'm not asking about cancellation for any reason coverage and don't need to get into the nuances of pre-existing conditions, etc.  I'm just asking about the basic level of trip cancellation coverage to buy.

NCL invoice:

image.png.4425dc924d17deaa8255c34fca92df78.png

Am I remembering correctly that I should only buy cancellation coverage to cover the base guest fare ($1270.80 in this case), because all those other costs will be refunded regardless of when I need to cancel?

I do know that insurance is typically purchased in $500 increments, so in this example I could buy a $1500 policy for the same cost as a $1270.80 policy.  Thanks.

Your thinking is correct-if you cancel, the port fees and service charges are refunded, so you would only be "out" $1,270.80, and that would be the amount you can claim from the insurance company

We just worked this through with an insurance agent and he confirmed that only the base cruise fare needed to be insured. If you have air or non refundable hotels then add those to the cruise fare to make sure your coverage is adequate. 

10 minutes ago, sansroof said:

We just worked this through with an insurance agent and he confirmed that only the base cruise fare needed to be insured. If you have air or non refundable hotels then add those to the cruise fare to make sure your coverage is adequate. 

Thanks.  I don't want to risk errors due to semantics.  Am I correct that when you say "base cruise fare" that you mean "Guest Fare" in my NCL-specific example?

To your point, I didn't mention other non-refundable trip expenses but those would also be worth including.

Yes you are correct! The “guest fare” of $1270 is the only truly non refundable part that you need to ensure. I was ready to insure way more but the agent explained that we didn’t need to and I eventually accepted it and paid less 😂