Travel Insurance for Disney Cruise?

Da Bulls

We will be cruising the British Isles with Disney and wanted to get feedback on which trip insurance to get.  To complicate things, we'll use DVC points to "pay" the cruise cost.  This won't make it easy to calculate how much the cost of the cruise will be when asked by a 3rd party insurer for costing of the policy.  Is our only option to utilize the Disney trip interruption insurance?  Thank you!

I use insure my trip.  I am not sure they would reimburse the cost related to the DVC points.  I had to use them one time and had to show proof of what I paid for airline tickets.  I had to provide a copy of my credit card statement. .  Typical the cruise line ins will only cover the cost of the cruise. 3rd party will cover cost of flights etc along with cost of cruise. I would suggest reading the DCL policy and then comparing to policy from a 3rd party.  Also may want to check will it cover medical cost or medical evacuation in the unfortunate event you need medical care.  May want to check your health Ins because some insurances do not cover out of country medical expenses.  

On 3/29/2023 at 9:06 PM, Da Bulls said:

To complicate things, we'll use DVC points to "pay" the cruise cost.  This won't make it easy to calculate how much the cost of the cruise will be when asked by a 3rd party insurer for costing of the policy.

I don't know about the insurance companies you're looking at, but when we book flights using points, the insurance we get onlys cover the non-reimbursable costs if we had to cancel which usually includes the port fees or a cancellation charge (depends on the flight). I would expect that this might be the same, i.e., the insurance would only cover fees you might have to pay to get your points back should you cancel or reschedule. They don't impute a cost for the points.

• 5 weeks later...

The standard Disney policy did not cover pre-existing conditions; I have diabetes so had to go third party.

There are many sites available that will give you rates comparing various providers. Providers vary in what they cost and cover considerably.

Be aware some policies are secondary to your normal ins. Also they vary in terms of max benefits. Some offer "cancel for any reason" coverage (50 / 75% depending).