Independence of the Seas - several questions from essentially a first time family

Just now, Cmessier said:

Good to know! 

There IS a launch potentially scheduled for our embarkation day (April 7th), but looks like the window is at 1:30 a.m

If it goes off at that time, no problem.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Fantastic burgers in Playmakers.

Agreed. Also enjoy the garlic parm fries that comes with them and the Goalpost margarita (jalapeno and pineapple).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Keep an eye on NASA launches.  Traffic around the port can get bad on the day of a scheduled launch or a rescheduled launch.  Try to arrive accordingly.  I'm close enough to drive in on the same day as debarkation, but I always arrive a day early and stay in a hotel the night before.  AND I don't want my arrival time to be too late as the parking can be an issue.  My last cruise in Oct/Nov last year had a launch scheduled on our embarkation date.  Fortunately, it go scrubbed, the night before and all was well. But, there was still a lot of traffic but not bad.

When you say "issue ", how serious of an issue do you mean? I hadn't considered that parking would be an issue at ALL, I believe my wife has pre-paid for it. 

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Fantastic burgers in Playmakers. No shows on Indy need a reservation, just get there 10 -15 minutes early.  I have seen Sorrento's open until 3am. Promenade cafe is open 24/7.  Indy is in great shape and a awesome ship. As soon as you board go to main dining room and check your table assignment, you can just walk right in, easy to make a change if you need to. Your dining room name and table number will be on your sea pass card, assuming you do not have MTD. happy cruising. 

Playmakers is where I will likely spend extra on food if I do at all. From what I can see the prices are reasonable and those nachos look fantastic! 

9 minutes ago, Cmessier said:

When you say "issue ", how serious of an issue do you mean? I hadn't considered that parking would be an issue at ALL, I believe my wife has pre-paid for it. 

Thanks!

The early bird gets the worm.  I believe you said you have a 2:00 PM arrival time.  The best parking will be taken, can't say for sure, but Garage, which is the most convenient parking, will probably be full.  If it is, you'll have to use the surface parking.  

EDITED IN:  Sorry, don't mean for it to sound like you'll be denied parking, that ain't gonna happen.  You'll get parking!

Edited by Ret MP

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The early bird gets the worm.  I believe you said you have a 2:00 PM arrival time.  The best parking will be taken, can't say for sure, but Garage, which is the most convenient parking, will probably be full.  If it is, you'll have to use the surface parking.  

Ah. Ok. 

As long as I dont have to worry about finding a space, no problem. If its a bit of a longer walk I'm not bothered by that,  we are all in reasonably good shape. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cmessier said:

My family and I are sailing on the Independence next week. I was on a cruise when I was a kid almost 40 years ago, remember loving it. My wife and 3 kids have never cruised. We can't wait! 

We just sailed Indy in December and had a great time!  

My first question is - we will be driving in from Savanah the day of departure (an unfortunate necessity given work schedules and PTO). We selected a 2pm check-in time at Port Canaveral,

This is not ideal, but it's also not the worst possibility.  

You're talking about a half a day drive.  Could you leave the night before /after work?  Say, if you get off work at 5:00, could you hit the road about 7:00 and drive during the night?  This would put you in the Orlando area midnight - 1:00ish.  Yes, that's a late night, but it'll put you close to the port.  You could sleep in and make the last bit of the drive leisurely.  If you go that direction, we like the Days Inn in Titusville, which puts you about 30 minutes from the port.  It'll make for a more peaceful boarding day.  

Talking about parking & the port:  I don't think you can pay ahead of time -- but have your credit card ready, as they charge when you enter the port.  No human beings are on duty; you must use a credit card.  

In our experience, they check boarding times, so you should try to hit the port at 2:00.  

If you drive during the night, could you change your boarding to an earlier time?  

On the positive side, your rooms will be open as soon as you arrive.  

Next question would be - if we check in at 2, will we be too late to book shows?

We didn't book shows on Indy and had no problem finding seating -- this includes Grease.  

I'm already a little disappointed that it looks like the Windjammer closes at 3 so we probably can't make it there for lunch when we get on board as most people seem to like to do.

Eh, don't sweat it.  You'll be able to enjoy Windjammer lunches for the rest of the cruise.  You'll be able to have sandwiches at Promenade Cafe, pizza at Sorrento's, fish and chips at Fish and Ships (for a fee) or room service.  We did enjoy the pizza a great deal; our favorites were BBQ chicken pizza and Veggie pizza.  As someone else said, they will make you a whole pie /give it to you in a box.  

Windjammer does seem a little chaotic at the first lunch because 1) newcomers are finding their way and 2) people are carrying so much luggage. 

Yet another question - if my wife gets the surf and stream package under my name (we are all under the same reservation but in 2 connecting rooms) we CAN both use it, just not at the same time, correct? We don't all need to be online at once but it would be great if we could each use it as needed. 

We never bother with internet.  

Annnd yet ANOTHER question. We all have passports EXCEPT my adult daughter, whose passport is supposedly on the way but has not yet arrived. She has her driver's license and birth certificate,  will this cause a delay in boarding? 

No delay, but -- as others have emphasized -- be sure it's an official birth certificate from the state.  

And finally - Ive read back through the forums for about 50 pages and hardly see the Independence mentioned. Is this bad??? Lol it seems to be an amazing ship but the lack of feedback about it has me wondering what I'm missing.

As I said, we were just on Indy in December, and it's a wonderful ship.  It doesn't get as much press as the newer, larger ships, but this size ship is my favorite.  

Is the food quality decent on Independence? Is there anything to be aware of about it in general? 

Our favorites:  Fish and chips, Key Lime Pie, Braised ribs, Shrimp in any form

Nothing was outright bad, but we didn't prefer:  Salmon, Caesar salad, Calamari 

OH! Sorry, one LAST question - we are on deck 2. My wife booked as low as she could get as she was told that the motion is not as noticeable lower down. We've got 2 Oceanview rooms down there. One of my daughters is a little concerned its going to feel like the bowels of the ship down there (looks great to me from what I can find online). Is this a bad choice?? From what I can see it looks nice and quiet down there. 

Deck 2 is not a preferred deck, but that doesn't matter much.  From Deck 2 you can go up two decks quickly and walk on the open Deck 4.  You can go up one more deck to the promenade for drinks or snacks.  You'll be very close to the MDR and the theater.

We personally like Deck 6, and that's not a favorite either.  

Just some "Do you know?" items: 

- Have you downloaded the app on your phone? 

- Have you made decisions about shore excursions? 

- Have you printed your luggage tags?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

We're going on Independence in November. We've been on Freedom before. Only Oasis class and Quantum class give you the option to book shows beforehand. So for smaller ships, including Independence,  you can just show up.

Even if Windjammer is done with lunch, they re-open for dinner, but there is also Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade which will have small sandwiches, sweets (cake/cookies/pastries) and Fish and Ships on the pool deck is now included except the Lobster I think.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We just sailed Indy in December and had a great time!  

This is not ideal, but it's also not the worst possibility.  

You're talking about a half a day drive.  Could you leave the night before /after work?  Say, if you get off work at 5:00, could you hit the road about 7:00 and drive during the night?  This would put you in the Orlando area midnight - 1:00ish.  Yes, that's a late night, but it'll put you close to the port.  You could sleep in and make the last bit of the drive leisurely.  If you go that direction, we like the Days Inn in Titusville, which puts you about 30 minutes from the port.  It'll make for a more peaceful boarding day.  

Talking about parking & the port:  I don't think you can pay ahead of time -- but have your credit card ready, as they charge when you enter the port.  No human beings are on duty; you must use a credit card.  

In our experience, they check boarding times, so you should try to hit the port at 2:00.  

If you drive during the night, could you change your boarding to an earlier time?  

On the positive side, your rooms will be open as soon as you arrive.  

We didn't book shows on Indy and had no problem finding seating -- this includes Grease.  

Eh, don't sweat it.  You'll be able to enjoy Windjammer lunches for the rest of the cruise.  You'll be able to have sandwiches at Promenade Cafe, pizza at Sorrento's, fish and chips at Fish and Ships (for a fee) or room service.  We did enjoy the pizza a great deal; our favorites were BBQ chicken pizza and Veggie pizza.  As someone else said, they will make you a whole pie /give it to you in a box.  

Windjammer does seem a little chaotic at the first lunch because 1) newcomers are finding their way and 2) people are carrying so much luggage. 

We never bother with internet.  

No delay, but -- as others have emphasized -- be sure it's an official birth certificate from the state.  

As I said, we were just on Indy in December, and it's a wonderful ship.  It doesn't get as much press as the newer, larger ships, but this size ship is my favorite.  

Our favorites:  Fish and chips, Key Lime Pie, Braised ribs, Shrimp in any form

Nothing was outright bad, but we didn't prefer:  Salmon, Caesar salad, Calamari 

Deck 2 is not a preferred deck, but that doesn't matter much.  From Deck 2 you can go up two decks quickly and walk on the open Deck 4.  You can go up one more deck to the promenade for drinks or snacks.  You'll be very close to the MDR and the theater.

We personally like Deck 6, and that's not a favorite either.  

Just some "Do you know?" items: 

- Have you downloaded the app on your phone? 

- Have you made decisions about shore excursions? 

- Have you printed your luggage tags?  

Thank you for all of this!!!

Unfortunately we cannot be in Port Canaveral any sooner. We are driving from Pittsburgh to Savanah the day before. (We live in Pittsburgh). So we plan to drive to Savannah, sleep, then get up and head to the ship. With it being Good Friday Im hopeful traffic will be light and based on the posts here my wife and I agreed we will get moving from Savannah super early, hopefully on the road by 6. 

Glad to hear about the shows!! The more I hear from you guys here the happier I am that we are on a Freedom class. It sounds like the crowds aren't as bad as on the bigger ones and it still has a ton to do on board. 

We decided we need the internet package just so people can get a hold of us if they need to, we will put it on my phone or hers and share. 

I will triple check on her birth certificate. Now I'm nervous about it. But it should be OK as I KNOW it is not the one from the hospital (long story that isn't relevant lol)

I asked my wife about parking and she did NOT prepay as she confirmed it was not an option. But we will aim to get there as early as possible. 

We all do have the app and have all done as much of the check in as we can

We all have the appand have done as much check in as we can already, my app says they will see me at 2pm April 7th for a wellness check. Everything else is green. 

We have NOT printed luggage tags yet. Will do. 

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to be so helpful!!

9 hours ago, Vs1023 said:

We're going on Independence in November. We've been on Freedom before. Only Oasis class and Quantum class give you the option to book shows beforehand. So for smaller ships, including Independence,  you can just show up.

Even if Windjammer is done with lunch, they re-open for dinner, but there is also Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade which will have small sandwiches, sweets (cake/cookies/pastries) and Fish and Ships on the pool deck is now included except the Lobster I think.

Can't wait!!! 

I think because the chaos at the WJ is talked about so much and most just kind of chuckle about it being the first place they go for food  I was hoping for that experience.  But if we don't make it I will most certainly be checking out the rest of the places - I did see that Fish and Ships is now included and  looking forward to trying it! 

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Cmessier said:

Unfortunately we cannot be in Port Canaveral any sooner. We are driving from Pittsburgh to Savanah the day before. (We live in Pittsburgh). So we plan to drive to Savannah, sleep, then get up and head to the ship.

Not sure what time you're planning on leaving Pitt, but I would go as far as possible before stopping.  Google says that's ~15 hours.  So leaving at 6am (for example), you can be in PC at 9pm.  Yes, an EXTREMELY long day, but the further you get on Day 1, the easier the drive on Day 2, AND cut down on possible delays on day 2.   Heck, Jacksonville is <13 hours, and we've done that drive when visiting my Mom in Florida.  That would only leave you a couple hours on Sunday.  

Now, that's the way *I* prefer driving when I have long trips.  YMMV. 

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not sure what time you're planning on leaving Pitt, but I would go as far as possible before stopping.  Google says that's ~15 hours.  So leaving at 6am (for example), you can be in PC at 9pm.  Yes, an EXTREMELY long day, but the further you get on Day 1, the easier the drive on Day 2, AND cut down on possible delays on day 2.   Heck, Jacksonville is <13 hours, and we've done that drive when visiting my Mom in Florida.  That would only leave you a couple hours on Sunday.  

We drove straight to Orlando once a few years ago. Definitely do NOT want to do that again especially with the kids, we were all getting awfully cranky right about when we crossed the state line into Florida lol

14 minutes ago, Cmessier said:

Unfortunately we cannot be in Port Canaveral any sooner. We are driving from Pittsburgh to Savanah the day before. (We live in Pittsburgh). So we plan to drive to Savannah, sleep, then get up and head to the ship.

Ah, I didn't understand that.  

Maybe I'm just being argumentative, but Savannah -- I've been there many times, and it's a wonderful city with so much to offer! -- is a bit off the highway.  Wouldn't you save some time by choosing a hotel near the interstate?  Someplace near Savannah but not IN the city?  

I will triple check on her birth certificate. Now I'm nervous about it. But it should be OK as I KNOW it is not the one from the hospital (long story that isn't relevant lol)

Better safe than sorry.  

I asked my wife about parking and she did NOT prepay as she confirmed it was not an option. But we will aim to get there as early as possible. 

Yeah, I don't think pre-paying is a thing.  But do have your credit card ready when you pull into the parking deck -- Port Canaveral is unusual in that it collects as you go IN, not as you go GO.  

We all do have the app and have all done as much of the check in as we can

Good, and the app will continue to be useful to you during the cruise -- you can check menus, for example, to decide whether you want to go to the MDR for dinner.  You can check show times, port times, etc.  

However, I still like to request a paper copy of the day's Compass from our cabin steward.  I like seeing everything laid out on one sheet rather than JUST the information on the app.  

We have NOT printed luggage tags yet. Will do. 

A small task but necessary.  

While we're talking about luggage, we always pack a tote bag with our night-before hotel things ... and it stays in the car when we board.  This prevents you from bringing (useless) dirty clothes, etc. onto the ship.  

8 minutes ago, Cmessier said:

I did see that Fish and Ships is now included and  looking forward to trying it! 

Included as in no charge?  That's good news!  I thought it made no sense that they (and Johnny Rockets) charged, while other small venues were free.  I do love a good fish and chips meal.  It's an outdoor eating area next to the pool, which I suspect you'll enjoy for your first meal.  

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We all have our preferences for long days.  My family has good "riding stamina" and can do a marathon day without fuss -- but we can't do two of them in a row.  

In my experience, driving home is always worse than driving to the port.  Maybe plan a couple surprises for them on the way home?  Stop at their favorite fast food?  Are they young enough to enjoy fast food playgrounds?  

36 minutes ago, Cmessier said:

We drove straight to Orlando once a few years ago. Definitely do NOT want to do that again especially with the kids, we were all getting awfully cranky right about when we crossed the state line into Florida lol

Keep in mind your kids are older.  I'm not saying you have to go all the way to PC, I just disagree with "picking" a place to stop before the trip even begins. 

OK, you've "picked" Savannah.  What if there's a major accident and you get delayed a couple of hours before you get to Savannah?  Do you have to keep going (despite being tired/cranky) because you already have a reservation and you'll lose the money if you cancel? 

Or, you've made good time, no issues, and you're still wide awake as you approach Savannah.  Can you go another hour (or two or three)?  Every bit you get done cuts down on how much you need to do the next day.  

I generally try to set a "goal", but if I don't make it, OK, and if I get further, GREAT!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We all have our preferences for long days.  My family has good "riding stamina" and can do a marathon day without fuss -- but we can't do two of them in a row.  

In my experience, driving home is always worse than driving to the port.  Maybe plan a couple surprises for them on the way home?  Stop at their favorite fast food?  Are they young enough to enjoy fast food playgrounds?  

Nah, 13, 17 and 24. 

We are staying in Charlotte overnight on the way home. We can do 6 or 7 hours in the car no problem but longer than that and everyone starts getting pretty burned. 

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Keep in mind your kids are older.  I'm not saying you have to go all the way to PC, I just disagree with "picking" a place to stop before the trip even begins. 

OK, you've "picked" Savannah.  What if there's a major accident and you get delayed a couple of hours before you get to Savannah?  Do you have to keep going (despite being tired/cranky) because you already have a reservation and you'll lose the money if you cancel? 

Or, you've made good time, no issues, and you're still wide awake as you approach Savannah.  Can you go another hour (or two or three)?  Every bit you get done cuts down on how much you need to do the next day.  

I generally try to set a "goal", but if I don't make it, OK, and if I get further, GREAT!

Yep. We would lose out on our reservation. If there's an accident or some other major event then it will certainly be unpleasant but I guess thats a small risk we have to take. If we reaaaaalllllyyyyy feel like we can keep going after Savannah ....I suppose we could try and find a closer hotel but its doubtful. After that long on the road we are going to want to find somewhere for dinner, relax, and crash. My wife is pretty adamant that after last time, he limit in the car for the day is right near that Florida state line. She was toast after that. 

• Like 1

Oh, then they're perfectly able to manage a marathon drive -- even old enough to take the wheel for a portion of it.  That's very different from making the trip with toddlers. My own family would probably be willing to do the whole 15 hours in one shot.  

We live relatively near Charlotte, and Orlando to Charlotte is a very reasonable day's drive -- and you'll find a plethora of hotels right off the interstate.  

Whether to reserve or not to reserve ... that is the question.  My personal comfort level, given those circumstances, would be to create a list of potential cheap hotels in several cities ... then, as you see how the drive is going, call and make the reservation from the road.  I would not be willing (with three kids) to fly completely by the seat of my pants ... or to go into multiple hotels hoping for an empty room.  

2 hours ago, Cmessier said:

I did see that Fish and Ships is now included and  looking forward to trying it! 

Now I'm jealous. We were on Independence for a total of 11 nights between July and October and my only (minor) complaint after sailing almost nothing but Oasis-class for several years prior was that it didn't have an "extra" complimentary food venue like Park Cafe or El Loco Fresh. Free Fish and Ships would have done the trick. Enjoy!

go to the flowrider area right when you board to get your kids signed up (with your approval) for the wristband that will let them ride it all week (free).   First day is the easiest lines for it as well.    Also, if you can, get some travel insurance to insure your trip.    Leave early, if you get to the port early there are nearby restaurants.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Whether to reserve or not to reserve ... that is the question.  My personal comfort level, given those circumstances, would be to create a list of potential cheap hotels in several cities ... then, as you see how the drive is going, call and make the reservation from the road.  I would not be willing (with three kids) to fly completely by the seat of my pants ... or to go into multiple hotels hoping for an empty room.  

That's the joys of having smart phones now.  A passenger can quickly go to a website, do a search, find a hotel, look at reviews, see if there's availability, and book it. 

25 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

go to the flowrider area right when you board to get your kids signed up (with your approval) for the wristband that will let them ride it all week (free).   First day is the easiest lines for it as well.    Also, if you can, get some travel insurance to insure your trip.    Leave early, if you get to the port early there are nearby restaurants.

Good advice. 

Also have your kids go to the Teen Club on the first night while everyone is making friends.  

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's the joys of having smart phones now.  A passenger can quickly go to a website, do a search, find a hotel, look at reviews, see if there's availability, and book it. 

Yeah, but I'd prefer to do a bit of prep work to see what options exist along the route /have a bit of an idea where the best prices can be found /who offers breakfast.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:49 AM, Cmessier said:

Yep. We would lose out on our reservation. If there's an accident or some other major event then it will certainly be unpleasant but I guess thats a small risk we have to take. If we reaaaaalllllyyyyy feel like we can keep going after Savannah ....I suppose we could try and find a closer hotel but its doubtful. After that long on the road we are going to want to find somewhere for dinner, relax, and crash. My wife is pretty adamant that after last time, he limit in the car for the day is right near that Florida state line. She was toast after that. 

We have done this drive many time up and down 95. I’d suggest you skip Savannah and stay right off 95.  It’s not worth the drive into downtown just for the night.  Lots of good hotels at the Savannah airport exit (112 I think).  Also would recommended taking the West beltway around Jacksonville. This avoids the constant construction at the I95-I10 interchange which is lousy.  Maybe extra 10-15 minutes but less stress.  Schedule a pit stop in Daytona at Buckees, most amazing gas station convenience store I’ve ever seen.    This 95 corridor is constantly under construction, so be prepared for that.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:42 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, but I'd prefer to do a bit of prep work to see what options exist along the route /have a bit of an idea where the best prices can be found /who offers breakfast.

ALL of that is totally available via smart phones.   You can see prices, reviews, locations, and even book... just like you do at home sitting in front of your computer. 

Now, for those who want to say "We're stopping at 'x' place.", that's fine.  I'm just trying to point out there are other ways to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did our first cruise on the Independence and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted that was a few years ago and things have changed a bit. In answer to your questions I would leave Savannah a LOT earlier than 8am "just in case" there are traffic issues, flat tire, potty breaks etc. Myself I would inclined to leave between 4 - 6 am. When you get to the ship there are lots of other food options rather than fighting the crowds in the Windjammer. There is no need to make any show reservations, just show up for them. Enjoy!!  We also had an inside cabin down on deck 2 and it was really convenient to just walk up 1 set of stairs to our deck/cabin instead of waiting for the elevators like everyone else.