About this Auto Tipping thing

StefanieMS

Does anyone know how this really works. I want to be sure that the money [B]I[/B] tip goes directly to the people who serve [B]ME[/B]. Does anyone know if Carnival just adds all the tips together, and then divides them between all the stewards and wait staff? Or, will my tips go directly to that steward and wait staff who served me? Also, will they know that [B]I[/B] tipped them, and did not remove my tips and stiff them? I fully understand why the auto tips were done (IE many empty seats in the dinning room on the last night) but,I would hate to be tipping someone elses staff. Plus, I enjoy actually handing that tip to those who served me.

Stefanie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;08;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Cruise on the pride

We were told by our waiter that yes, they received the tips however, they also get a list of each of their passengers and how much they tipped on the sign and sail account. So if you change the amount, they will know before the end of the cruise.

We took ours off until the end of the cruise and ended up putting them back on (rather than shell out the cash that we had left).

Ecstasy,E.Caribbean Oct.1993
Holiday,W.Caribbean Jan. 1995
Festivale, S.Caribbean Feb.1996
Sov. of the Seas, Bahamas Jan.1998
Ecstasy, Bahamas Mar. 2000
Victory, Canada, Jun. 2001
Sensation, W. Caribbean, Jun.2002
Paradise, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2003
Triumph, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2004

[img]http://www.mycruisepartner.com/images/ships/ships23image1_th.gif[/img]

[img]http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer3/Ship.gif[/img]

We don't care for it either but we leave them on and were told the same as the above post. However...we do give staff that we feel has gone above and beyond an envelope at the end of our cruise. Most of the time our room attendent and wait staff walk off with extra

UNTIL WE SAIL AGAIN.......
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;5;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We always go to the purser's desk and have ours removed. We never go to the dining room, therefore we would not tip there.. however I do tip throughout the cruise (buffet,etc.) as well as cabin stewards at the end of the cruise.

How does one tip for the buffet?

the people that work the buffet are the same people who serve the dining room--only they do it on their off day.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

When I was a bartender in my previous life, there was a percentage of the public, maybe 25%, that never tipped under any circumstances and were proud of it. They seemed to believe that the bartender and servers were inferior beings whose purpose on this earth was to serve the superior beings. These people still show up in mass on the RCCL board and are very proud of their cheap ways. I hope that is not the case here. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

JV The 4 stages of cruising: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection.

what most don't understand, or care....these people who serve us, OWE somebody...most have to pay RECRUITERS a HEAVTY sum, out of every check. Talk to them... By refusing to contribute to the" POOL", which they split, {IE the auto tips are split between everyone who serves you}.. hurts people who were GOOD to you....
now if that $70 per person is offensive to you , for 7 days...I'm really sad for you....After the service you received. I always accept our gratuity that is auto...THEN tip CASH to those who were special. I also include gifts { pantyhose, phone cards, etc} to leave on the last night. Trust me, it IS appreciated.

When I see the lines of people taking off their tips the last night ...well...it makes me sick. We can afford a vacation, but they are right back at it as we go home...yeah, agreed... recieve crap service, go adjust,,,but don't be CHEAPO to save a few $$ on your sail $ sign at THEIR expense...They DO work hard..

I never have met a Carnival employee I didn't like, nor who did not try to make me feel special...and no way would I EVER deny them their money for a job well done. And no, if you are wondering..not every of my 6 cruises was completely perfect...but that is life.

SMILE..have a BLAST/ FUN...just please, don't forget the 'little people'...get to know them, talk to them, learn their lives...maybe , you'll agree...

READY for the next cruise !!!

Victory 5/2004
Celebration 7/89
Triumph 6/2001
Victory 5/2002
Triumph 5/2003
Celebration 2/2004'Noro'SURVIVOR

Borntocruz and Weswas, thank you for your answer. Thats what I needed to know. As long as they have a list of who and how much was tipped, I'm fine with the auto tipping. I too generally tip [B]MORE[/B]than auto tips, and will just hand them the extra. I just wanted to be sure of how it works, and certainly not stiff anyone.
Not sure how this post turned into a flame on non tippers since I thought I made it clear that I just wanted to make sure the staff gets my tips!

Stefanie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;08;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Cruise on the pride

Auto tipping has saved hubby and I money. We tend to get attached and love people and go a little crazy handing out cash at the end. Now we are a little more budget minded and take $5 and $10 around the last night as something additional to our auto tipping.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000
Victory 2000 Sensation 2001
Norway 2002 Legend 2002
NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003
Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Archived