Review of "Marina Hotel" San Pedro, CA.

CRUISAYEAR

We got this hotel on Priceline. Bid 3 star San Pedro, and you will get this hotel because as far as I know it is the only San Pedro 3 star. I bid $75, was denied, then prompted to raise my bid by $7, which I did, and I was accepted at $82. High hotel taxes in the area brought it up to $101 total. Still a bargain as next lowest price I found was $169+taxes.

So, we flew into LAX on Friday, February 24th, '06. After getting our luggage we went outside maybe 100' to the "Shared ride" platform for "Supershuttle". Within minutes we were on our way to San Pedro and within a half hour or so we were dropped at the door of Marina Hotel. Cost per couple, $34 ! Gave driver a nice tip.

We were impressed with all areas of this Hotel except our room itself. The room #220 overlooking the pool was definitly in need of refurbishment. However it was clean, and everything worked. It was fine for an overnight stay pre-cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Would be just as fine for a post cruise stay.

Being fair to the hotel, they ARE in the process of room refurbishment. Carpeting and fixtures, wallpapers, paints, are all being replaced. I am sure if I had made a stink they would have moved me to a roon that was completed. We are not picky and said nothing as the room was not that bad.

The public areas, Lobby, dining room, outside sun deck overlooking the Cabrillo marina, were all beautiful. As were the spacious grounds and landscaping, and the pool area.

The hotel sits right next to the Cabrillo marina. A gorgeous area filled with yachts and big cabin cruisers and sailboats of all sorts. Very big. Paving stone walkways, wonderfully landscaped go on for at least a half mile in each direction as you exit the rear of the hotel. We really enjoyed taking a long walk here. Very quiet area at night, and very well lighted.

The hotel restaurant served very good food and we felt the prices were moderate. There is also an outside dining area adjacent to the indoor. Nice tables and comfey chairs you can relax in with big umbrellas overhead. Palm trees and flowering bougainvilla bushes and other flowers all around. Great high up view of the marina. Nice place to sit and read the complimentary paper in the morning over coffee. ($1 for a 20oz. carryout).

The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle van. 2 actually. We asked to be taken to a liquor store to by some wine to take onboard the ship, and it was no problem. They will also drop you off and pick you up at local shopping and dining establishments. We just tipped the driver.

Sign up for your preferred time in the lobby and next day they will drop you off at the ship, no extra charge. If you are staying with them post cruise, they will pick you up at the pier right next to the ship.

Should we take another cruise leaving from L.A. harbor, we would stay here again. We had read mixed reviews on this property on other websites, but we had a very positive expierience. All of the staff that we interacted with were helpful and friendly. Especially Dave, our van driver.

d man....I can't answer your question from expierience, as other than our jaunt to the liquor store, we just hung around the hotel. It IS a nice place to hang.

In the lobby there is a touch screen video kiosk that you can look at that will give you views and reviews of area shopping, dining and entertainment. Of course there is the usual pamphlet rack there as well from which you can take brochures on area attractions. We talked to folks who were going in to visit Hollywood, Rodeo drive, and the old Queen Mary ocean liner.

We noticed that there is an electricly powered small bus which stops for pick-ups and drop-offs at the hotel on a regular schedule. It takes people to local attractions. We did not use it, but I bet that being it was public transportation, it doesn't cost much.

I did not see where there is much to do within a reasonable walk from the hotel. Other than taking a stroll around the different inlets of the marina. This area is primarily Harbor/wharf/industrial. Downtown San Pedro was very close in the hotels shuttle, but I don't think I would walk there.

We just returned from a cruise and spent the night before the cruise there. We booked on-line with the hotel for $123 as we wanted to be sure to get this property since they offer free parking while on the cruise. The hotel shuttle will take you to nearby shopping areas for free. Overall same comments as previous poster about the hotel and will definately stay there again.

Not sure what you are paying for December 30 - January 1st, 2 night at the Marina San PedroBut if I were you I would stay in Long Beach, it's only a $25.00 cab ride from there to the Port of Los Angeles where your ship will be on the 1st.Lots more things to do and see in Long Beach area compared to San Pedro area.Bringing in the New Year in Downtown Long Beach sounds great.

Hilton

Two World Trade Center

Long Beach, CA 90831-3102

Located in downtown Long Beach adjacent to the World Trade Center, just three blocks from the Aquarium of the Pacific, four blocks from the Long Beach Convention Center... more Amenities include: Fitness Center, Outdoor Pool, Restaurants, Hair Dryer, Tea/Coffee Maker, Limited Hour Airport Shuttle

Total for 2 nights would be $326.00, if you book it over the phone through a Triple AAA agent , you won't be charged any tax either plus the reservation is totally refundable up to 72 hours before your stay if you should change your mind between now and then.You must belong to Triple AAA though to get those rates.

http://www.longbeach.gov/community/passport.asp

http://www.shorelinevillage.com/

http://www.shopthepike.com/

If you want the phone number and the extension of the agent at TripleAAA I used just let me know.

Jimbo

Archived