Taking food off a cruise ship

It_Is_Me

Are there any checks to prevent passengers from taking food off a cruise ship?  My 80-year-old mother wants to get extra sandwiches from the buffet tomorrow and take them off the ship with us on Sunday morning.  She is wheelchair-bound and on oxygen, so really she will want me to carry the sandwiches off the ship. Please tell me that there will be dogs sniffing our bags and they will confiscate sandwiches.  If I tell her I won’t do it, she will argue with me, and she’ll probably bring the sandwiches anyway. But if I can convince her that customs has sandwich-sniffing dogs, then maybe she will drop the whole topic.  Please Lord, give me patience for the 3 day drive back to Michigan after we get off the cruise! (Mom can’t fly due to her lung disease).  

I take it your in the Caribbean some islands are stricter v than others I have gotten off in port with dogs sniffing but can't remember where. Usually the only food you can bring ashore would be commercially packaged.  I would tell her it's against the rules and buy food in port or stop in the celebrations shop on board I believe they sell snacks but you well need to do that the night before since shops are closed when in port.

• Like 1

It sounds like you’re talking about when you disembark on Sunday? It’s a no. It is even sometimes printed in the last patter (or whatever they call it now) not to take food off. Last time we disembarked at in Fort Lauderdale there were dogs too. They’re looking for drugs not sandwiches, but still.

Stay strong. Been there.

• Like 1