NCL Haven vs Explora?

Tapi

Hi:

Looking for opinions from people who’ve experienced luxury cruise lines as well as “ship within a ship” concepts, like NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club. I’m currently looking at a Canada/New England itinerary from Quebec City to New York. 

Norwegian Joy and Explora I have almost identical itineraries. The cost of a Haven Forward Penthouse Suite on NCL is almost identical to the cost of an Ocean Terrace Suite (entry level category) on Explora Journeys, so I’m torn with the decision. 

Part of me wants the Haven experience while having access to a larger ship with tons of activities and amenities, and part of me wants a full luxury cruise experience on a smaller, more intimate and sophisticated ship. 

For those of you who’ve found yourself making this choice, what did you choose and how did you reach that decision? I’ve sailed on MSC’s Yacht Club but I don’t have any experience with all suite luxury lines like Explora is marketing itself to be.

For what it’s worth, it’s only my wife and I, to celebrate our 20th anniversary. 🥂 

Thanks for your input. It’s greatly appreciated!

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 2

OK, I don’t want to appear like I’m stalking you but I have experience in this!

I have sailed in the Haven 8 times and four times in the YC. I have actually sailed in a Forward Facing Penthouse and I recently returned from my first cruise on Regent.

Your question is …. Difficult.

I’m 60 and my partner is a few years younger and we REALLY prefer the Haven to the YC for a few reasons.  Both have excellent service and the YC has a pool bar and buffet - sadly missing in the Breakaway/Breakaway + ships.  I love not signing for drinks in the YC and I also enjoy proper (albeit plastic!) glasses poolside, not the disposable garbage on NCL.

But … the deal breakers for us are the complete lack of shade in the YC compared with the umbrellas and complimentary mini cabanas on NCL. While the Haven Restaurant menu  NEVER changes, the actual quality of the raw ingredients is far superior to that of MSC.

The bartenders in The Haven are the best - all sorts of interesting concoctions, infusions, smokey things and generally cool stuff!

NCL also throws in a couple of meals via their Free-at-Sea program.  The NCL entertainment has also been far superior with their big production shows but that all seems to be changing with the recent cutbacks.

That’s another thing - my thoughts are based on the “pre” times - I haven’t been on either in over 4 years.

Regent was excellent but inconsistent - I posted a long review a few weeks ago…

Explora is an unproven entity but I think that they’re doing everything right thus far. The ships initially will likely be not anywhere near capacity - no worries about crowds!

It’s going to be a far more sophisticated experience than NCL and introductory pricing offers may disappear in the future.

If it’s only the two of you, I would choose Explora but …. I have three cruises booked on Explora and 3 in the Haven - go figure!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

OK, I don’t want to appear like I’m stalking you but I have experience in this!

LOL. Not feeling like you’re stalking me at all. The Explora Journeys board doesn’t have a lot of participants just yet, so discussing different topics with the same people shouldn’t come as a surprise. 

I do wholeheartedly thank you for your very helpful comments. It’s exactly people with your kind of experience who I want to hear from. Truly appreciated! 

Edited by Tapi

36 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Regent was excellent but inconsistent - I posted a long review a few weeks ago…

I just clicked on the link. I need to check it out! Thank you. 

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Looking for opinions from people who’ve experienced luxury cruise lines as well as “ship within a ship” concepts, like NCL Haven or MSC Yacht Club. I’m currently looking at a Canada/New England itinerary from Quebec City to New York. 

Of course there are no experiences yet of Explora 1, but we put our money on Explora 1 for this year. Having 'experienced' an H7 #9316 Aft facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom 655/236 sq. ft. (balconies get smaller as decks go up) there are 'conditions' one should be aware of.

- With financial (in)stability in question today one should be aware that not every cruise line is covered for default by insurance companies. For example, V.V. is not covered by Allianz on their published "Covered Supplier List" (CSL).

- Some are reducing staff

- Some are reducing the number of cabin cleanings from 2 to 1 per day

-Some are 'changing' staffing salaries, increasing workloads, etc.

-There are cutbacks in entertainment

-Besides industry increases in wifi, gratuities and beverage packages NCL is covering only fountain drinks in their drink packages and charging $5 should one request a 'can'. This increases the number of soiled glasses left in hallways, window sills, tables, theatre floor, etc...

-NCL is now charging its guests 3% to gamble unless one uses cash to load machines.

- Be aware that suite cabins outside of the confines of the Haven limits ones full 'appreciation' of a suite class experience.

-Tippers beware that staff on some ships (like NCL) are rotated during the cruise, making 'tipping in advance' of service ineffectual.

-Haven Restaurant does NOT bring in Specialty Restaurant meals, even for a charge. Special requests still take 2 hours with advance notice (like one grilled chicken breast with one baked potato).

Probability of having a more 'adult' experience is greater on Explora Journeys.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to compare based on a cruiseline that has yet to sail. Having said that, given the similar pricing and your situation, Explora sounds like the better choice.

Either way, you are sure to have a great 20th anniversary!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Very intrigued with Explora. As much as we love the "bells and whistles" for our kiddo, the smaller ship port options seem very interesting. 

We love suites, and although there are different "levels" of suites on the Explora, it seems that the lowest suite class gives you the equivalent Haven / YC experiences and treatment. Could be mistaken, and looking forward to gathering more information as Explora I and II have more sailings. 

Whilst we still will be primarily NCL and MSC cruises out of Florida (home state advantage there), haven't decided if the Caribbean ports on Explora are worth the significantly higher cost vs Haven and YC suites. Time will tell...However, we are looking at Africa in 2025 and debating land-based vs cruise-based. Leaning towards a cruise and Explora I African itineraries look amazing for 2024. 

Exciting times for sure!

Warmest, Amy

Having done RCL (Oasis class and their smaller ones), HAL, Carnival, NCL (in aft facing Havens), SS, Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, and Oceania, we would never go back to NCL on our own.

Getaway and Breakaway were entirely too crowded.  Too many children even in the Haven.  You have to leave the Haven.   Too many drunks on a Caribbean cruise it was like Carnival but no fights.

Last cruises post Covid, were Crystal (before bankruptcy), Seabourn, Oceania, Regent..  We love the smaller ships.  Food is better, more inclusive, smaller crowds and more adult.  Some of the larger ships cannot get into the smaller Canadian and US Northeast ports.

Only thing the big ships have are big shows.  But a port intensive cruise who cares.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with folks above. We have done Crystal, Azamara, and Silversea without kids and have done NCL Haven with our kids. We knew we’d be traded the small ship feel and service for more things for our boys to do and I am glad we did. I’m looking forward to taking our two boys on Explora in December as it seems to have a balance of both.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:02 AM, amygutman said:

Very intrigued with Explora. As much as we love the "bells and whistles" for our kiddo, the smaller ship port options seem very interesting. 

We love suites, and although there are different "levels" of suites on the Explora, it seems that the lowest suite class gives you the equivalent Haven / YC experiences and treatment. Could be mistaken, and looking forward to gathering more information as Explora I and II have more sailings. 

Whilst we still will be primarily NCL and MSC cruises out of Florida (home state advantage there), haven't decided if the Caribbean ports on Explora are worth the significantly higher cost vs Haven and YC suites. Time will tell...However, we are looking at Africa in 2025 and debating land-based vs cruise-based. Leaning towards a cruise and Explora I African itineraries look amazing for 2024. 

Exciting times for sure!

Warmest, Amy

We're in a similar boat as well, having primary done NCL with most of those trips in various Haven rooms. Just started looking into Explora and it just looks gorgeous. Price wise when you add in everything that's counted it's on par with what we expect to pay for Haven when I don't find a good deal.

I'm trying to convince my hubby to book the India - Kenya journey for 2025. All the photos and videos I've been stumbling upon today are certainly helping to secure our spot on that journey.

• Like 2