Vermouth on Silversea

pavementends

OK so we have done Scotch, gin, and cognac. But how about vermouth- in my opinion the most critical part of a Manhattan.

Last cruise I ordered a Manhattan, and found it disappointing. It tasted like they used something like Gallo or Martini and Rossi.

Anybody want to save me the experience of closely questioning the bartender?

By the way, I was pretty happy exploring the range of other cocktails, although I found (oddly) that the same Martini was different on different nights.

I understand that once opened, vermouth should be used within a short period, or it will start to go bad.  (ie turn to vinegar, etc.)  So if they're using an old bottle that's been around since the Clinton Administration, that could be a problem.

I was considering starting a new thread here, titled "3 Liter Box Wines & Lite Beer on SS", but thought better of it.  😋

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I understand that once opened, vermouth should be used within a short period, or it will start to go bad.  (ie turn to vinegar, etc.) 

Absolutely true.  Vermouth is a fortified wine, and like any of these, has a limited shelf life once opened.  It can hold up for a couple of months in the fridge, but on a shelf ... many makers draw the line at 3 weeks.

Exactly true.  

I've never understood why the Vermouth makers don't sell mini-bar sized bottles of vermouth at liquor stores.  I can buy virtually any other kind of liquor (whiskey, rum, Baileys, etc) in the tiny bottles, but not vermouth.  Considering the small amount that I use for martinis, etc., a mini-bar size would be perfect to have.

Instead, I buy the smallest bottle I can find, such as a .375, and I still wind up using only a little bit and tossing the rest away after a month or two.