Questions from first time cruisers on MSC Grandiosa

OmegaSeamaster

Apologies if these have been covered before, I've tried to search the forum as well as google but unable to find answers...

1. Does anyone know if our son, who will be one month shy of 15 when we board, will be able to access the Teen club area for 15-17yrs?

2. Is there a Brass Anchor Pub onboard? I have seen it listed in the restaurant/bar list in a couple of resources (specific to Grandiosa), but cannot find it on the deck plans. 

3. Is there a pool table in the sports bar or pub or elsewhere onboard?

4. Are there any areas to get outside in the lower public decks if I feel claustrophobic, or do I need to make my way up to the top decks for some fresh air?

Thanks so much! 

Hi there,  

2) The pub on Grandiosa is called Masters of the sea , it is on deck 7 on the mezzanine level of the Galleria.  It was our go to place to watch the parties/ goings on on the level below . We would always sit near to the bridge as that is where the band plays . 

There wasn't a pool table in there  but they did have food on offer , burgers and hotdogs , plus a  singer guitarist at night . 

4) you can go outside onto the deck where the lifeboats are, deck 7 I think it is.     There isn't any seating but if you wanted fresh air quickly you can do it . One end of the ship has it roped off saying crew only but I think that is because it  is used for the crew for smoking !! I walked end to end on that deck on another ship in the same  class, outside the Carousel lounge there was some seating used by smokers . 

Sorry, cannot answer  Q1. 

Actually it was on Grandiosa where I went outside beneath the lifeboats.  Could have sworn it was Meraviglia or Bellisima.  This was December 2019 . We were on her Jan this year 2023.

DSC_7374.jpg

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Hi there,  

2) The pub on Grandiosa is called Masters of the sea , it is on deck 7 on the mezzanine level of the Galleria.  It was our go to place to watch the parties/ goings on on the level below . We would always sit near to the bridge as that is where the band plays . 

There wasn't a pool table in there  but they did have food on offer , burgers and hotdogs , plus a  singer guitarist at night . 

4) you can go outside onto the deck where the lifeboats are, deck 7 I think it is.     There isn't any seating but if you wanted fresh air quickly you can do it . One end of the ship has it roped off saying crew only but I think that is because it  is used for the crew for smoking !! I walked end to end on that deck on another ship in the same  class, outside the Carousel lounge there was some seating used by smokers . 

Sorry, cannot answer  Q1. 

Actually it was on Grandiosa where I went outside beneath the lifeboats.  Could have sworn it was Meraviglia or Bellisima.  This was December 2019 . We were on her Jan this year 2023.

Thank you Heatherb, this is super helpful, you're a star! My main worry was about getting outside on lower decks, so great to know that's possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody! We are booked for a cruise next year Naples to Naples. It will be our first MCS cruise and I’ve read some bad reviews. My experience has been all with RCCL, Disney, and Holland. How does it compare?

11 hours ago, ajuaa1971 said:

Hello everybody! We are booked for a cruise next year Naples to Naples. It will be our first MCS cruise and I’ve read some bad reviews. My experience has been all with RCCL, Disney, and Holland. How does it compare?

Can't compare MSC to other lines.

We are Californians and loved our very basic weeklong cruise on MSC in the Eastern Mediterranean:

• Food was perfect (MDR).
  • Service was amazing (Guest Services, Excursions, room stewards, wait staff, crew).
  • Entertainment talent & quality was very good.
  • Excursions were many but we didn't use them.
  • Languages spoken by everyone on board numbered many.
  • On time departures & excursion return times are strict.

MSC is a European line (Italian owned) which fits with a majority of cruisers but if your aim is to be pampered and looked after every moment like US cruisers, consider staying in a Yacht Club stateroom complete with butler and private access dining & pools.

One must have an open mind and not be accustomed to past cruises with other lines to be objective with MSC....

Last night onboard - captain and her officers presentation before the theater show:

AABF73BD-922F-4A0A-A7CB-CE5F100D03FA.jpeg

Edited by 4sallypat

11 hours ago, ajuaa1971 said:

I'm on the World Europa right now (Barcelona to Barcelona), and we were in Napoli two days ago.  All I can say is that if you go YC on MSC, it really is a different experience than any of your other cruises (we've been on Disney and Holland).   The service is top notch, and going to the YC venues where they know your name (Cheers moment...  Norm!), drinks and food you like is worth every penny (although it is a lot of pennies).

I would not go in July/August.  I may be from the US west coast and not used to the humidity, but I would melt in the heat of high summer here in southern Europe.  It's hot enough with the intense sun, heat reflection on the stones in town, 75 degrees and high humidity right now,

4 hours ago, 4sallypat said:

Can't compare MSC to other lines.

We are Californians and loved our very basic weeklong cruise on MSC in the Eastern Mediterranean:

• Food was perfect (MDR).
  • Service was amazing (Guest Services, Excursions, room stewards, wait staff, crew).
  • Entertainment talent & quality was very good.
  • Excursions were many but we didn't use them.
  • Languages spoken by everyone on board numbered many.
  • On time departures & excursion return times are strict.

MSC is a European line (Italian owned) which fits with a majority of cruisers but if your aim is to be pampered and looked after every moment like US cruisers, consider staying in a Yacht Club stateroom complete with butler and private access dining & pools.

One must have an open mind and not be accustomed to past cruises with other lines to be objective with MSC....

Last night onboard - captain and her officers presentation before the theater show:

AABF73BD-922F-4A0A-A7CB-CE5F100D03FA.jpeg

Thank you!

Sounds great to me! My one concern and that hubby may find annoying is the embarkation and disembarkations at ever port. That was the one bad review that stood out for me.  

4 hours ago, Nikodemos said:

I'm on the World Europa right now (Barcelona to Barcelona), and we were in Napoli two days ago.  All I can say is that if you go YC on MSC, it really is a different experience than any of your other cruises (we've been on Disney and Holland).   The service is top notch, and going to the YC venues where they know your name (Cheers moment...  Norm!), drinks and food you like is worth every penny (although it is a lot of pennies).

I would not go in July/August.  I may be from the US west coast and not used to the humidity, but I would melt in the heat of high summer here in southern Europe.  It's hot enough with the intense sun, heat reflection on the stones in town, 75 degrees and high humidity right now,

The YC? I’ll have to read up on that. Thank you!!  We will be going the first week of June so hopefully not too bad.