Cape Liberty - Return car to EWR or Jersey City, NJ?

My backup plan is to rent a car to drive to Cape Liberty, but was wondering if it would be better to return it to EWR airport or Jersey City?

I will most likely drop luggage off first, so Jersey City would most likely be better.  The only advantage I can think of from EWR would be easier access to [shared?] transportation to Cape Liberty.

Hopefully I can get someone to drive me to Cape Liberty, so it's a moot point.  🙂

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

My backup plan is to rent a car to drive to Cape Liberty, but was wondering if it would be better to return it to EWR airport or Jersey City?

If you rent from Enterprise, they have a location in Bayonne but that location is closed on Sunday's. You are correct, taxi will be more available at EWR but with Uber/Lyft availability I do not think it is a advantage & there is taxi service in Jersey City.

What is available in Jersey City is the NJ Transit Hudson Bergen light rail which will be easy to use, especially with no luggage. Use any light rail in the direction of 8th Street Bayonne, exit at 34th Street in Bayonne and then car service the last 2 miles from the light rail station to Cape Liberty. If you do use light rail, validate the ticket at the machine after buying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

If you rent from Enterprise, they have a location in Bayonne but that location is closed on Sunday's. You are correct, taxi will be more available at EWR but with Uber/Lyft availability I do not think it is a advantage & there is taxi service in Jersey City.

What is available in Jersey City is the NJ Transit Hudson Bergen light rail which will be easy to use, especially with no luggage. Use any light rail in the direction of 8th Street Bayonne, exit at 34th Street in Bayonne and then car service the last 2 miles from the light rail station to Cape Liberty. If you do use light rail, validate the ticket at the machine after buying it.

I usually rent from Enterprise to or from Bayonne, but they don't have any cars available near my home for the timeframe.  Renting from Hertz, which means Jersey City or EWR.

Thanks for the info about light rail.

Edited by Another_Critic

46 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Thanks for the info about light rail.

If you do use light rail, when you exit at 34th Street you will be on Ave E side. There is a small lot adjacent to meet car service. I suggest that you exit the light rail, use the overhead crossover (elevator or stairway) to the other side & wait in the larger 34th Street side parking lot which is better for transit to Cape Liberty. Taxi was set fee ($9) in 2022.

Light rail from Jersey City is $2.25 or $1.10 for age 62 and up.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

Being the experienced cruiser you are from Cape Liberty, and depending on the location of your hotel, I agree with you in dropping the luggage first at the terminal. No need to be bringing it from location to location.

I am coming up NJTP from the south, so not really out of the way to drop off luggage.

Last year we rented with Enterprise, dropping in Bayonne.  Dropped checked luggage off at Cape Liberty.  Took carry-ons in car to Bayonne.  Removed carry-ons and returned car.  Asked about transportation to Cape Liberty.  They offered to take us.  Put carry-ons back in the same car.  They dropped us at Cape Liberty.  😄

• Like 1