Choice for Alaska Cruise...Royal Caribbean(Quantum), Norwegian (Encore), Princess (Royal)

hernonmom4

On 4/7/2023 at 3:12 PM, panoramaofthepast said:

Princess used to do an off boat excursion while viewing the glaciers. You would transfer to a smaller boat [maybe 50-75 people] that proceeded the cruise ship in and were able to get up close and personal to the glaciers and animals. It is by far the best Alaska excursion we ever did [in four cruises, on three different lines!]. If that is still available, I would pick Princess. 

Glacier Bay v Tracy Arm - we actually like Tracy Arm better. Either way, the views will be stunning! 

"Glacier Bay v Tracy Arm - we actually like Tracy Arm better."

May I ask why?  Doing Alaska for the first time May 2024.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ihate2cruise said:

Pretty much guarantee that you will not see a glacier in Tracy Arm. At the best, you might catch a glimpse of a sliver of South Sawyer Glacier.  At Glacier Bay you will sail right up to the face of Margerie Glacier and listen to the ice talk to you for 45 minutes to an hour.  You might even get to see it calve, where chunks of ice break off and thunder down into the water.  You will also go to Jaw Point and get the jaw-dropping vista of the beautiful Johns Hopkins Glacier a few miles away at the head of the bay.

I love Tracy Arm in a small (<500 pax) boat that can get up to both South and North Sawyer Glacier.  The big blue icebergs are amazing and the U-shaped valleys are classic glacial features.  But you're not going to see a glacier on a big ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, ihate2cruise said:

Part of it comes from that up close and personal excursion on Princess, so we got closer to the action, so to speak. Glacier Bay is the most well known and it is lovely, but I thought Tracy Arm was more picturesque. 

If you have never been to Alaska before, any of them will be stunning, so pick the itinerary that suits you best. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...