Internet on the ship?

rucruizin

I think I have heard that they have internet access on the ship, I guess they all do now.

Anyway I was wondering how much it is. Do they charge by the minute? If so, how much?

Also, can you access your own email like Hotmail or do you have to use a ship email address? I thought I read somewhere about an email like JDblahbla@Holland.Volendam.com??? I hope I can just use my hotmail.

I ordinarily wouldn't care but I sure like having contact with my 16 year old daughter and hearing that she is fine, the dogs are fine, the house is fine, etc...

I appreciate you info

You can buy package plans on the ship ... I think the one I had on the Amsterdam this past January was 250 minutes for $100. I think 100 minutes was $50. They also had smaller plans ... or you can pay as you go ... which is like 75 cents a minute.

You are not forced to use the ship's email address. That is just set up for you as a convenience, in case you don't have a regular email address. You can use any web-based email program to access your email, or you can even get it through your own ISP if they have a web-based option for retrieving emails from a remote location. If your regular ISP doesn't have a web-based option, then you can just set up a temporary account with hotmail or whatever before you go, and tell people to email you at that address while you are on your cruise.

On my recent cruise, I just used my regular work email address. Since we use Microsoft Exchange servers here at work, I was able to access it via the web using my regular work logon.

Don't worry, you'll be able to stay in touch while on the boat. Most ships even have WiFi hot spots which allow you to use your own laptop. Otherwise, the internet center will have plenty of terminals for your use.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Another option is to use Internet cafes in port. You can find them most anyplace. Ask the crew. They'll know where they are. Or inquire of one of the locals. It's very cheap, something like a dollar or two for a half hour.

I look at it this way. I'm on vacation I let others deal with the problems that come up. If my company needed me to check e-mail while I was on vacation, it would be on their dime using their Blackberry. Fortunately, that's not the case. I just don't have a reason to check e-mails on vacation (I realize some do). With that said Jim is right, use the off ship places when you get to port. It will save you serious $$$ you can use to buy the people on the other end of those e-mails some souvenirs! :)

Navy Chief I totally understand what you are saying BUT... for years I sailed without any contact with my kids. I found myself fretting and wondering if they were ok, if everything at home was alright. A couple of times things weren't alright with my kids, they were very sick or had problems that I could have helped fix if I just had contact.

$3500 for a 10 day cruise, $6, for a fancy umbrella drink, $.75 a minute for an occasional computer email to know that my kids are ok...priceless.

Navy Chief I totally understand what you are saying BUT... for years I sailed without any contact with my kids. I found myself fretting and wondering if they were ok, if everything at home was alright. A couple of times things weren't alright with my kids, they were very sick or had problems that I could have helped fix if I just had contact.

$3500 for a 10 day cruise, $6, for a fancy umbrella drink, $.75 a minute for an occasional computer email to know that my kids are ok...priceless.

And I agree, some folks need the communications and for good reasons. It would be much less expensive using the in port facilities Jim was discribing if you could wait that "At Sea" day out. but in your case as you stated, spending a couple of dollars while at sea for an occasional e-mail, well what's one less glass of wine or that extra bingo card? :) Good on ya rucruizin, I'm sure your kids were glad to hear from you as well.

John & I were fortunate in that we didn't need daily check-in with the home or work folks. We did see internet cafes in each port-of-call except Grand Turk, which looks like HMC. If you venture further into the town, perhaps there is one. We did use the cafe at the marina in Crown Bay in St. Thomas while on Noordam's inaugural. Spent 20min online for $5. I think there you actually purchase time in increments of 10 min for $2.50. Really cheap compared to the ship's prices. :)

Archived