Pearl room steward schedule and once a day room cleaning

Cruising Lynne

We just returned from the Pearl Boston to Bermuda trip on April 7, 2023.

I am happy to report that once a day room cleaning worked out better than I thought it would. It was kind of nice not to have to worry about interrupting the room steward when we were getting ready for the evening. I liked being able to lay out my pajamas before going out for the night and not have them be in the way if the steward came to do turn down. Having said that, I still wish they could have a second quick stop in the evening to replace towels and remove any stray dishes.

Contrary to previous reports, our room steward seemed to have a reasonable schedule, though I do not know how many rooms he had to tend to. He did an excellent job keeping our room clean. We requested coffee set up and ice bucket the second day, which he kept restocked all week. Rooms were ready when we embarked, since the ship had just come back  to Boston from Miami without passengers.

image.thumb.jpeg.969f74a5fe56d6f540297237dc396c6a.jpeg

I always thought it was really luxurious to have 2 times daily room cleaning.  Many hotels are now not doing any service for short stays, and even for longer stays only on request.  So ships going once a day is still quite good.

I think that the cruise lines definitely need to provide extra service compared to hotels if they want to keep people from choosing land based vacations. I do keep hoping that eventually cruise lines will start to add back some of the things that have been lost.

One thing I missed was late night snacks. Yes, I know O'Sheehan's / Local and room service are always available, but it is not the same as grabbing a quick bite at the buffet. On this trip the dinner buffet hours ended later than in the past, but by late evening things were pretty picked over and some items had sat out for a while.

I missed being able to get pizza or little sandwiches and some cookies or small dessert late night. I resorted to getting banana bread early in the day and putting it in the fridge to have when returning to the room late at night. Normally on a cruise I like to eat breakfast or lunch, an early dinner, and late night snack. 

43 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I think that the cruise lines definitely need to provide extra service compared to hotels if they want to keep people from choosing land based vacations.

I think you're wrong.  It would take a whole lot more than this to shift most of us from cruises to land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I think that the cruise lines definitely need to provide extra service compared to hotels if they want to keep people from choosing land based vacations. I do keep hoping that eventually cruise lines will start to add back some of the things that have been lost.

One thing I missed was late night snacks. Yes, I know O'Sheehan's / Local and room service are always available, but it is not the same as grabbing a quick bite at the buffet. On this trip the dinner buffet hours ended later than in the past, but by late evening things were pretty picked over and some items had sat out for a while.

I missed being able to get pizza or little sandwiches and some cookies or small dessert late night. I resorted to getting banana bread early in the day and putting it in the fridge to have when returning to the room late at night. Normally on a cruise I like to eat breakfast or lunch, an early dinner, and late night snack. 

Completely agree about the late night snacks.

• Like 1