Question re: Shore Excursions

skb8721

35 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

When proceeding to the checkout, in our experience, the shore-ex was automatically paid with by OBC. Once we ran out of OBC, it requested a credit card number or electronic transfer. On the purchase where we ran out of OBC, it used the last of the OBC and then requested payment for the remaining balance.

We found the process seamless between using OBC and credit card.

I didn’t see an option when I booked our excursions. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between different OBCs. For example the one given by TA vs from Viking?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

I didn’t see an option when I booked our excursions. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between different OBCs. For example the one given by TA vs from Viking?

Yes there is a difference between different categories of Credits.   Ones given by TA's to our experience, have generally been applied by the Agent to Viking just ahead of the cruise or when we arrive.   

Often Credits that came from vouchers of various kinds and show up in MVJ, can then be applied to excursions during the buying process.

(Note - there has been a peculiar situation noted by several people, myself included, where you may have purchased excursions with money ahead of time, then your TA sends their OBC's for you to Viking at say 30 days ahead, and then Viking, instead of putting it on your ship account to spend while onboard, automatically applies the OBC's without your consent or input to the excursions you purchased by issuing/sending you a cash refund in the mail, with no explanation.  This may be good or bad for you - the issue is you had no say in it).

Viking gave everyone on our Viking Homelands itinerary $250 OBC for an itinerary change (stupid Putin).  I was surprised it never showed up in MVJ to be used for optional excursions.  I asked our TA to ask Viking and she was told they would only appear in our onboard account.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes there is a difference between different categories of Credits.   Ones given by TA's to our experience, have generally been applied by the Agent to Viking just ahead of the cruise or when we arrive.   

Often Credits that came from vouchers of various kinds and show up in MVJ, can then be applied to excursions during the buying process.

(Note - there has been a peculiar situation noted by several people, myself included, where you may have purchased excursions with money ahead of time, then your TA sends their OBC's for you to Viking at say 30 days ahead, and then Viking, instead of putting it on your ship account to spend while onboard, automatically applies the OBC's without your consent or input to the excursions you purchased by issuing/sending you a cash refund in the mail, with no explanation.  This may be good or bad for you - the issue is you had no say in it).

Interesting. Thanks for that info.  Perhaps I'll give them a call.