First time crossing Pacific Ocean from Hawaii to Vancouver

trivia addict

I realize that weather is unpredictable. But we will be doing this itinerary soon for the first time. For those of you that have done this trip, can you tell me what the outside temperature is likely to be, and what the motion of the ship generally is, in late April- early May?

Thank you

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

I realize that weather is unpredictable. But we will be doing this itinerary soon for the first time. For those of you that have done this trip, can you tell me what the outside temperature is likely to be, and what the motion of the ship generally is, in late April- early May?

You've sort of answered your own question-- there is no way that anyone here can give you an accurate read on that due to the unpredictability. Here on Maui the trade winds have significantly picked up over the last few days so there is some additional chop in the water around the islands that wasn't here even last week. Not so bad though as to prevent Fred Olsen's Borealis (former Rotterdam) from anchoring at Lahaina yesterday though. 

Temperature has been in the high 70s/low 80s. You'll have a 5-10 degree cooling off as you depart the islands into your numerous sea days and then you'll ease into the highs of 50s and lows of mid 30s that Vancouver is having right now over the course of the crossing. Sea conditions are completely unpredictable. 

I have done LA Hawaii several times & if you have only done more costal routes than mid ocean ones, there seems to be more motion on the ship on the crossing than doing an Alaska or Mexico for example..not necessarily rough but just different movement sometimes side to side rather than bow to stern or on our last cruise in March it felt kind of like she was doing the hula....every Hawai'i itinerary the pools have been slosed at least once, but not always drained...expect weather close to what you had at the port you are leaving for the first & last couple of days  (I posted the daily weathers in my live from our cruise last month but Vancover & May will be different)

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:40 PM, travelin.sisters said:

I have done LA Hawaii several times & if you have only done more costal routes than mid ocean ones, there seems to be more motion on the ship on the crossing than doing an Alaska or Mexico for example..not necessarily rough but just different movement sometimes side to side rather than bow to stern or on our last cruise in March it felt kind of like she was doing the hula....every Hawai'i itinerary the pools have been slosed at least once, but not always drained...expect weather close to what you had at the port you are leaving for the first & last couple of days  (I posted the daily weathers in my live from our cruise last month but Vancover & May will be different)

Thank you. I have done coastal Mexico and Alaska and it is interesting to know that motion is a bit different on this voyage.  I actually like motion on a ship and will look forward to trying out the waves on this trip. 

• Like 1