Prohibited item question

I injured my knee just before my Odyssey cruise last December. I had no problem bringing a heating pad onboard.  Simply email special_needs@rccl.com.  Here is the response I received.  

Regarding your request to bring a heating pad, if its due to a medical condition you can bring it on board, take into consideration that the heating pad must be inspected and marked with UL, CSA, CE which is one of standard-certification organizations, this will prove that electrical equipment is tested and safe to use, also, the heating pad must have an automatic turn off system (timer).

Take into consideration that the device is subject to being checked and cleared by our ship security staff prior to boarding and you will have to bring it with your carry-on luggage in its original packaging.

I purchased a new heating pad and put it in my carry on luggage. I did take it out of the bulky box but did include the enclosed product information sheet and I highlighted  the safety info and timer function. I also printed a copy of the email from special needs and attached the sales receipt.   I did not require a doctors note. Check in was a breeze.  Security just waved me through and did not ask to see any documentation.  Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 4Nathan said:

the heating pad must be inspected and marked with UL, CSA, CE which is one of standard-certification organizations

I can't help but notice that there is nothing like that for Curling Irons, curlers, CPAPs, et al.  

Anybody picking up what I'm putting down?  Lack of consistency, maybe!

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I wasn't questioning "RC".  It was your statement/suggestion and my belief that it was overly simplistic.  What about my CPAP, which is a heat producer?  Ban that?  I should be denied a bonified medical device? 

I totally agree and support a company's right to make rules and policies.  I just want continuity with them and people's discussions of them to be correct and thoughtful.  

For popular input:

BTW, just because you don't sleep with something doesn't mean that it can't cause a fire.  How about if you leave your cabin at 6:00 PM for the evening and forget to unplug the hair straightener or curlers?  

I agree about other things/ways of causing fires.  

Hence my comment that is posted above which includes the following.  

Curlers and blow dryer use is allowed.   But I’d guess few fall asleep while doing, lowering fire risk.  I could see heating pads inducing some to sleep.  I know that isn’t the only way they could start a fire.  Just an example.

• Like 1

My sister had the same shoulder pain and used the Thermacare patches. They heat up and work for many hours. She just had the shoulder replacement surgery and it is rather extensive and limiting so don't plan any cruises too soon after that surgery! He can also buy Lidocaine patches over the counter and they are effective as well.Both of these products gave her some relief on our cruise in Feb. 

6 hours ago, read2learn said:

My sister had the same shoulder pain and used the Thermacare patches. They heat up and work for many hours. She just had the shoulder replacement surgery and it is rather extensive and limiting so don't plan any cruises too soon after that surgery! He can also buy Lidocaine patches over the counter and they are effective as well.Both of these products gave her some relief on our cruise in Feb. 

Thanks.  He has had one shoulder done so we know the drill.  This is the other shoulder.  Instead of lidocaine we are bringing some cream that was recommended that is similar.  Thanks for the first hand knowledge on the thermacare patches.  That is what we got. next big trip is not until October.

Edited by masspector

I believe that heating pads are considered more of a hazard because of their construction. The pad has internal wires that heat. These wires get flexed each time the pad is used. If a wire starts to break due to this flexing a hot or hotter spot may form inside the pad which in turn could cause the pad to catch fire. Since this happens inside the pad the user will not see this wear issue. Curling irons and blow dryer have similar heating elements but they are housed inside a rigid housing so they do not flex. Blow dryers and curling irons are also used for a short period of time unlike a heating pad which may be left on for hours.

3 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

I believe that heating pads are considered more of a hazard because of their construction. The pad has internal wires that heat. These wires get flexed each time the pad is used. If a wire starts to break due to this flexing a hot or hotter spot may form inside the pad which in turn could cause the pad to catch fire. Since this happens inside the pad the user will not see this wear issue. Curling irons and blow dryer have similar heating elements but they are housed inside a rigid housing so they do not flex. Blow dryers and curling irons are also used for a short period of time unlike a heating pad which may be left on for hours.

We can "what if" this to death.  So, my final is"  What if someone carries their device(s) around by the cord and it starts to fray inside the handle/plastic housing, unseen OR lots of people pull the plug out by the cord causing damage where the actual wires attach to the plugs. 

I'm just saying that there is a lot of inconsistency with RCCL's, et al, policies/enforcement/logic.  But, I'm still loyal to Royal.  The best bang for my buck.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ret MP said:

... However, the one thing that stands out to me is that it still doesn't mention "Surge Protectors/Suppresors" or whatever we commonly call them.  I'm still trying to find where RCCL prohibits them.  Almost every social media discussion about extension cords on cruise ships mentions that Surge Protectors/Suppressors are prohibited.  I just don't see it.

I see that Royal prohibits Electrical Extension Cords.  If the surge protector has a cord, it may not be allowed.  We brought a plug-in surge protector (no cord) on board with no issues, but it has been several years since we cruised.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Others may have a different opinion, but I would put questionable items in checked luggage.  I'd rather stop by security (if an item is flagged) to make my case than with security at check-in.

4 minutes ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

I see that Royal prohibits Electrical Extension Cords.  If the surge protector has a cord, it may not be allowed.  We brought a plug-in surge protector (no cord) on board with no issues, but it has been several years since we cruised.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Others may have a different opinion, but I would put questionable items in checked luggage.  I'd rather stop by security (if an item is flagged) to make my case than with security at check-in.

That's completely up to you, your option, and basically, none of my business what you do, except for safety issues that could affect my family and friends.

I prefer to just follow the rules and try not to be inconvenienced or embarrassed at any point in my cruise experience.   That's why I'm kinda invested in the thread, I don't know for sure what is safely allowed or what isn't.  RCCL, apparently, isn't willing or capable of making a comprehensive policy.  The fact that in the FAQ/public policy, "Surge Suppressors/Protectors" isn't specifically prohibited, I'd feel comfortable bringing one on, even though I don't, I have several power strips/blocks that aren't protected in any way.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

That's completely up to you, your option, and basically, none of my business what you do, except for safety issues that could affect my family and friends.

I prefer to just follow the rules and try not to be inconvenienced or embarrassed at any point in my cruise experience.   That's why I'm kinda invested in the thread, I don't know for sure what is safely allowed or what isn't.  RCCL, apparently, isn't willing or capable of making a comprehensive policy.  The fact that in the FAQ/public policy, "Surge Suppressors/Protectors" isn't specifically prohibited, I'd feel comfortable bringing one on, even though I don't, I have several power strips/blocks that aren't protected in any way.  

Hi Ret MP.  I'm a little confused by your post.  Do you believe that I suggested something unsafe?  I agree with safety guidelines, but as you mentioned, there is no comprehensive policy (or list).  That being the case, there are two ways that any item can be screened (carry-on and go through port security, or placed in checked baggage and have it go through ship security.)  Both should (ideally) screen out the same items.  I'd rather have an item, that may be determined by security to be prohibited, on the ship and returned to me at departure rather than have it held at the port.  I don't see an issue with either option.  I'd rather not potentially hold up the line at the port, and would prefer to visit ship security when it will most likely impact less people. 

Several years ago, when we brought a plug-in surge protector (no cord) on board, I asked a Royal customer service representative, prior to the cruise, if this was permitted.  At that time, the rep said that it was permitted as long as there was no cord.  This surge protector was screened at check-in, with our camera gear, at Cape Liberty with no issues.  I don't know what the current "policy" is since the policy is not comprehensive.

Edit - the item that received the most attention from port security was our unopened canister of powered iced tea mix!

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

28 minutes ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Hi Ret MP.  I'm a little confused by your post.  Do you believe that I suggested something unsafe?  I agree with safety guidelines, but as you mentioned, there is no comprehensive policy (or list).  That being the case, there are two ways that any item can be screened (carry-on and go through port security, or placed in checked baggage and have it go through ship security.)  Both should (ideally) screen out the same items.  I'd rather have an item, that may be determined by security to be prohibited, on the ship and returned to me at departure rather than have it held at the port.  I don't see an issue with either option.  I'd rather not potentially hold up the line at the port, and would prefer to visit ship security when it will most likely impact less people. 

Several years ago, when we brought a plug-in surge protector (no cord) on board, I asked a Royal customer service representative, prior to the cruise, if this was permitted.  At that time, the rep said that it was permitted as long as there was no cord.  This surge protector was screened at check-in, with our camera gear, at Cape Liberty with no issues.  I don't know what the current "policy" is since the policy is not comprehensive.

Edit - the item that received the most attention from port security was our unopened canister of powered iced tea mix!

No, I didn't suggest that you are suggesting that "anything" is unsafe.  I'm suggesting, actually stating that we don't know, generally, what RCCL's policies are as to what is safe or what isn't, what's allowed, what isn't.  Their policies are way too convoluted to make sense of them. AND I state that if something is brought on a ship that is unsafe is of concern to me and should be for all of us.  But, RCCL doesn't consistently state what is safe or unsafe. 

Many more people state that they bring on protectors, with or without cords, without problem but many others state that they have had them taken to the naughty desk.  RCCL's website for Australia states that protectors are not permitted but the USA site doesn't.  Some items are required to have UL rating/approval, et al, while other like items don't.  

NOTE:  RCCL's Austrailia's FAQ website has been updated and mirrors the U.S. Site now.  No mention of protectors.

As I have noted on this board a few times, at the Terminal in Seattle last May, I had my drone confiscated.  I asked the guy why.  He said that the policy on RCCL ships prohibits Drones and said it with much force and a stern look.  I had a copy of the FAQ Policy in hand (that was in effect at the time.  The new one doesn't even mention Drones) and told him that they are specifically allowed but not to be flown while on the ship.  I demanded to see a supervisor and when he showed up he agreed with me and I got my drone back.  I only give this example as an illustration of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and RCCL not ensuring that their employees or contractors are fully trained on the policies and basically my only time that I've had an issue like that with RCCL's terminal staff.  Otherwise, I can only pass on what others have stated and what I read in their policies.  

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

No, I didn't suggest that you are suggesting that "anything" is unsafe.  I'm suggesting, actually stating that we don't know, generally, what RCCL's policies are as to what is safe or what isn't, what's allowed, what isn't.  Their policies are way too convoluted to make sense of them. AND I state that if something is brought on a ship that is unsafe is of concern to me and should be for all of us.  But, RCCL doesn't consistently state what is safe or unsafe. 

Many more people state that they bring on protectors, with or without cords, without problem but many others state that they have had them taken to the naughty desk.  RCCL's website for Australia states that protectors are not permitted but the USA site doesn't.  Some items are required to have UL rating/approval, et al, while other like items don't.  

NOTE:  RCCL's Austrailia's FAQ website has been updated and mirrors the U.S. Site now.  No mention of protectors.

As I have noted on this board a few times, at the Terminal in Seattle last May, I had my drone confiscated.  I asked the guy why.  He said that the policy on RCCL ships prohibits Drones and said it with much force and a stern look.  I had a copy of the FAQ Policy in hand (that was in effect at the time.  The new one doesn't even mention Drones) and told him that they are specifically allowed but not to be flown while on the ship.  I demanded to see a supervisor and when he showed up he agreed with me and I got my drone back.  I only give this example as an illustration of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and RCCL not ensuring that their employees or contractors are fully trained on the policies and basically my only time that I've had an issue like that with RCCL's terminal staff.  Otherwise, I can only pass on what others have stated and what I read in their policies.  

I like the fact that you stood your ground and asked to speak with someone in charge. All too often these employees need to be taught the specifics of these rules.

• Like 1

I have seen the battery powered heating pads but I assumed the issue was that they heat and stay on a long time, not that it had a cord.  We got some of the adhesive chemical haters and a hot water bottle.  Will practice at home before our trip.  Thanks for all of the replies

Oops, I’m normally pretty good about not bringing prohibited items, but I must say that I didn’t know about heating pads.

My wife had a car accident before our November cruise so we packed an electric heating pad. We didn’t attempt to hide it. In fact, our cabin steward provided an extension cord since the closest electric outlet was far from the bed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

She used it all week long and was never questioned.

• Like 1