Carnival Glory aft extended balcony room questions

Jgarriso

Looking at booking a Aft Extended Balcony room on the Glory for the end of August.   Choice of Deck 6 or 7 and would love if anyone has experience with these.

1.   Vibration or bounce.  I have never noticed much movement on the lido deck or comedy room,  but i have in the dinning room.   Do you feel the room moving much at night? 

2.    If we choose deck 6 will there be much noise at midnight from a comedy room. i wouldn't think so but wanted to check.

3.    What has been your experience with sun/shade on these rooms.  I personally like to sit in the shade but my wife likes to lay out.   I like to sit out in the morning and enjoy coffee and in the evening.  I have seen on the side balconies where the evening is so hot (when the sun is on that side) that you cannot enjoy the balcony from noon till the sun has gone down due to heat.  thoughts and opinions.

4.   Smells or anything else that i haven't thought of that you would like to share?

Thanks Again.

Just got off the Valor which is one of the sister ships to the Glory and had an Aft Extended Balcony on 7.  Didn't notice any bad smells or sounds.  It was actually really quiet and peaceful.  Views were great leaving New Orleans and the ports too.  There is an overhang so we had shade AND sun most times we were on the balcony depending on where you wanted to sit/lounge.

We were in cabin 7442 on the Glory last month. We generally prefer another area of the ship but decided to try an aft balcony as that was the last area of the ship we had not tried.

As you will see below our experience there was not good, but chances are you will not be as unlucky.

We had no problems with noise, smells or vibrations. We did not like all the walking that being at the extreme end of the ship entailed. My wife wears one of those fit-bit things and counts steps. She was just under 50% more steps on average than on other Glory cruises (we did six Glory cruises since last September).

When we arrived the room was a dump. It was in the worst shape of any room on any of our over 35 cruises. But as I said on another thread:

image.thumb.png.4ff86ea70a11f883f48c2c49dcce6e51.png

At that point things were looking pretty good. But then we found a major disadvantage of the aft balcony when combined with those Carnival currently solicits as customers. My wife was laying on the lounger on our balcony and some yahoo on deck 10 (the open deck above) decided to see if he could hit her with his chewing tobacco spit. He partly succeeded. We called security (NOT 911, they chew you out for calling that for a non-medical issue - dial 7777, customer service) and they arrived with a ready made story that someone must  have been cleaning on the deck above and some water splashed her. When we pointed out the used chew pouch they said sorry and disappeared as fast as possible, nothing they could do.

So, use the balcony at your own risk. But cabin 7442 is in great shape.

• Like 1

Aside from your stated horrible experience.  I was also worried about the steps,  as we like to spend a lot of time in the atrium lounge.   we also like the piano bar,  which would be good i image (Sure hope Gustov is still there in August).   I guess my biggest question/concern is sun.   I really don't like to sit out in the sun,  had to many things removed....     did you find that you received enough shade on the deck in the morning and evening?   My preferred cabin is a cove,  but alas, not an option.

Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by Jgarriso

3 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

Aside from your stated horrible experience.  I was also worried about the steps,  as we like to spend a lot of time in the atrium lounge.   we also like the piano bar,  which would be good i image.   I guess my biggest question/concern is sun.   I really don't like to sit out in the sun,  had to many things removed....     did you find that you received enough shade on the deck in the morning and evening?   My preferred cabin is a cove,  but alas, not an option.

Thanks again for sharing.

The balcony is partially covered and only after something like 4pm when the ship is headed directly away from a sunrise or sunset (and I imagine the reverse in the morning, but we sleep late) will there be no shade up against the room wall. While the balconies on the sides of the ship tend to be mostly full sun or full shade the aft balcony has, in my opinion, a better mix. I think it best meets your desire for shade and probably disappoints sun worshipers.

• Like 1

We were on the Glory last week in cabin number 7446. Loved it!

I did feel vibration at night, but found it very soothing.

As for the balcony, we were only on it in the very early mornings. In the afternoons the sun became extremely too hot. Cannot comment on early evenings as we were still out partying! 😉
No smells.

The only issue we had was one day maintenance was sanding railings, and paint flakes rained onto the balcony. But this could happen anywhere on a ship. No big deal.

• Like 1

We love the Glory and have cruised her a few times (years ago). Our last cruise in August 2022 in Aft balcony 7449 was not so good. The smokestacks spewed oil all over our balcony. We couldn't sit out there any day of our cruise. It was also on the loungers by the pool (although not as much) and also on the top decks when we walked around on the railings. They could have fixed this by now, although I doubt it since she has not been in dry dock since. We have had aft balconies on other ships and have not experienced this issue.

• Like 1

I have stayed in many aft balconies and have booked one on the 8th floor for my upcoming Venezia cruise out of NYC. My only worry would be some of the side aft balconies on the older ships might be missing the sofa as the cabin is def smaller than the middle aft balconies. That happened to us once so I make sure we have the sofa and coffee table in our aft. We will be sailing in the Terrezza aft balcony on the Venezia and we see if we feel special in the private neighborhood of the Venezia. I love the privacy, the sound of the wake, the amazing views and the loungers that are better than the chairs on the balcony. Have a great trip!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, teaach02 said:

I have stayed in many aft balconies and have booked one on the 8th floor for my upcoming Venezia cruise out of NYC. My only worry would be some of the side aft balconies on the older ships might be missing the sofa as the cabin is def smaller than the middle aft balconies. That happened to us once so I make sure we have the sofa and coffee table in our aft. We will be sailing in the Terrezza aft balcony on the Venezia and we see if we feel special in the private neighborhood of the Venezia. I love the privacy, the sound of the wake, the amazing views and the loungers that are better than the chairs on the balcony. Have a great trip!

I also booked 8th floor Aft Balcony with Terrazza Access 🙂 I can't wait!! Going in October ....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound of the ocean and look forward to this cruise! 🙂 

just as an fyi,  i have opted to skip the Aft-facing balconies for this trip.   I will try them on another cruise when it is just myself and my wife.  We are going with family this trip and if there were any problems i would spend the whole cruise apologizing and feeling bad.  If it was just us then i would enjoy it no matter what.   Thanks for the post and feedback.