Ft Lauderdale closed-how to get from Orlando to Miami?

Linsuesue

Oh the things I've done to try and get home or get somewhere when weather interferes.  First, I agree that cars may not be available because a lot of other people will be trying to do the same.  Even if you book a car from MCO, it doesn't mean they will have any.  I've gotten texts in past saying my car wasn't ready because cars were not returned.  If your people are flexible and capable you could try for an off site rental car, but would have to take a cab or uber to get there and again, IF there are cars available.  What about renting a Uhaul pick up truck?  I don't know how desperate you are getting, but I've done some crazy things to get from point A to B.  Another option could be a flight into Tampa.  It's a farther, but I once drove from Chicago to Minneapolis due to a severe flight delay.  A bunch of us rented a one way van!  You could start asking around about Uber also.  Someone might be willing to drive from MCO to FLL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Oh the things I've done to try and get home or get somewhere when weather interferes.  First, I agree that cars may not be available because a lot of other people will be trying to do the same.  Even if you book a car from MCO, it doesn't mean they will have any.  I've gotten texts in past saying my car wasn't ready because cars were not returned.  If your people are flexible and capable you could try for an off site rental car, but would have to take a cab or uber to get there and again, IF there are cars available.  What about renting a Uhaul pick up truck?  I don't know how desperate you are getting, but I've done some crazy things to get from point A to B.  Another option could be a flight into Tampa.  It's a farther, but I once drove from Chicago to Minneapolis due to a severe flight delay.  A bunch of us rented a one way van!  You could start asking around about Uber also.  Someone might be willing to drive from MCO to FLL. 

Well it looks like FLL is going to open back up so Southwest jumped the gun by telling our traveler that they werent going to make it on Saturday.  Now she will be on Southwest Airlines landing around 6:45 and needing to get to the American Airlines concourse to leave to Miami at about 8;30.  It sounds doable except for the fact that the 2 tickets were never purchased together and they are on different airlines. In that case, she might have to get off the plane, collect her luggage, and go back inside the airport to check in again for 2nd flight. She is calling both airlines this morning to see if Southwest can just tag her luggage to get it put on the next flighty automatically. My hat is off to any of us who have had to do the Last Minute Panic Shuffle to get somewhere! 🎩 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, Linsuesue said:

Well it looks like FLL is going to open back up so Southwest jumped the gun by telling our traveler that they werent going to make it on Saturday.  Now she will be on Southwest Airlines landing around 6:45 and needing to get to the American Airlines concourse to leave to Miami at about 8;30.  It sounds doable except for the fact that the 2 tickets were never purchased together and they are on different airlines. In that case, she might have to get off the plane, collect her luggage, and go back inside the airport to check in again for 2nd flight. She is calling both airlines this morning to see if Southwest can just tag her luggage to get it put on the next flighty automatically. My hat is off to any of us who have had to do the Last Minute Panic Shuffle to get somewhere! 🎩 

Where was this connection? I was thinking Dallas because that is AAs main hub, but then I realized Southwest mainly uses Love airport instead of DFW which would have made that connection pretty much impossible. 

Did she make it somehow? 

Edited by zzdoug

Someone from my area flew Avelo on Friday. Instead of going to FLL, they routed to PBI. Avelo managed all travel arrangements to Fort Lauderdale and Miami for them. They didn't specify, but it sounded like a bus to a common location where they could get the exact transportation they needed. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, zzdoug said:

I heard 26 inches..?  I imagine anyone flying into FLL is going to have to deal with this whether or not they made their reservations with NCL air.  If I had booked my own ticket and the airport was closed, I too would have to call the airline and wait on hold for them to rebook me somewhere.  And then deal with my trip insurance to claim the cost of ground transportation.

The main thing to remember when flights are cancelled...whose fault is it?

If it is weather or FAA shut downs, then the airline does not have to route you through extra airports or on another airline.  They have to make a best effort, but with the destination airport closed, they have no other flights, and neither do their competitors. Simply flying the same plane to another airport usually doesn't work.  What gate will they use? Is ground crew available?  

If it is because the airline has problems (mechanical or lack of crew) then they have to try and get you to your destination either that day or within 24 hrs.  Using their own or any other airline, and sometimes charter busses.  I have watched that process in action, gate agents (different airlines) call each other and negotiate the number of seats and the price.

Another hint:  watch national weather 48 hrs before your flight.  That should tell you if weather is going to be an issue.  Getting changes before everyone else will be better.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:43 AM, zzdoug said:

Where was this connection? I was thinking Dallas because that is AAs main hub, but then I realized Southwest mainly uses Love airport instead of DFW which would have made that connection pretty much impossible. 

Did she make it somehow? 

Her and her roommate had quite the experience! Their first flight took them to Chicago- where there was a problem with the door on the plane. After waiting awhile for it to be fixed, all passengers had to get off the plane. After a couple hours of delay they got back on the plane and went to Nashville. Of course, they missed the connecting flight and had to go to Southwest customer service to book a flight to Fort Lauderdale. During the day, they each got a $200 voucher for future travel and $14 for dinner. Once arrangements were made, they flew to Ft. Lauderdale and got in about 3:00am and Ubered to Miami. The good news is, they didn’t miss the cruise!

Ft. Lauderdale