Main Dining Room Dining Reservations Question

Scurrent

I was on the Gem in February of 2023 and made my specialty dining reservations prior to leaving with no problem. However, when I tried to book dining reservations in the Main Dining room beforehand, I could not.  When we got on the boat, people had dining reservations set up in the Main Dining room.  I called NCL and was advised that there are no reservations for the main dining room.  I am now unsure who to believe.

How did these people get reservations for the main dining room, and how do I do so for our upcoming cruise on the NCL Spirit?

Much thanx - Steve

I have been making dining room reservations for awhile now.  In the same place on your reservation where you make specialty reservations, it also shows the dining rooms as places to eat.  I just clicked on the dining room info and the same reservation page as the specialties came up.

Sometimes I had some issues, but just would randomly keep trying until it worked.  I think I may have also once called the dining reservation number and also once the pre-cruise Concierge (if staying in a suite) and made them over the phone too.

Good luck!

Just went through this. Use the NCL app on your phone. We were a group of 6 and had no problem making reservations onboard the day of. We always got the time we wanted and table for 6.

38 minutes ago, Scurrent said:

I was on the Gem in February of 2023 and made my specialty dining reservations prior to leaving with no problem. However, when I tried to book dining reservations in the Main Dining room beforehand, I could not.  When we got on the boat, people had dining reservations set up in the Main Dining room.  I called NCL and was advised that there are no reservations for the main dining room.  I am now unsure who to believe.

How did these people get reservations for the main dining room, and how do I do so for our upcoming cruise on the NCL Spirit?

Much thanx - Steve

Just off Pearl on Friday. I was able to make reservations for the MDR before our cruise on the NCL app and I had the email confirmation and I took a screenshot just to be sure.

Once on board the ship when the App changed to the on board status my MDR reservations did not show up. My specialty dining reservations did. 

I went to guest services and was told they don’t accept reservations for the MDR. I showed her the email confirmation and screen shots and she was speechless lol 

There was nothing she could do. She kept repeating to me that they don’t take reservations for the MSR despite me having proof that I made them.
Others in line with me were there for the same reason.

Even though the ship was sold out we only had to wait maybe 10 min a couple of times to get a table.
They gave us a beeper and a voucher for a glass of sparkling wine or soda each time we had a wait. 

I'm leaving on the Getaway April 26, and in the app right now I can make reservations for Taste and Savor. Not sure if you can do it on their website, but in the app, yes!

Didn't realize you could do that, but we're traveling with toddlers, so having a reservation for dinner is kind of nice!

Edited by dolita22

I was able to make reservations for our May 7th cruise on the Prima for both MDR's. I read several post of people who had reservations and advised to do so because sometimes during peak hours the wait can be up to 30 minutes etc. I am not sure what peak hours are but I just decided to make the reservations just in case. 

23 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Hello,  How many specialty dining reservations can you pre-book?  I've made 2 so far but when I try the 3rd it's asking me to pay for it.  Thanks  I only has the regular FAS BTW 

You can book as many as you like...but the secret is to book them in a certain order...book the restaurants with a flat fee first ie Teppanyaki...then book the A la Carte after that...you will not be charged until you have your meal. What did you book and in what order?

Thanks, I booked Cagney's and Le Bistro.  I'm trying to book Moderno but it's asking me to pay almost $300.  I only need the reservation for 3 but i need to pick table for 4 b/c there is no option for 3.  If I call can they take care of this  for me?

4 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Thanks, I booked Cagney's and Le Bistro.  I'm trying to book Moderno but it's asking me to pay almost $300.  I only need the reservation for 3 but i need to pick table for 4 b/c there is no option for 3.  If I call can they take care of this  for me?

So in this scenario, you should have booked Moderno first and then one of the other two. And yes, if you call, they can fix this and book any others you want. 

I was able to make reservations for Taste and Savor along with Manhattan Room.  Once on board the ship, the reservations for Taste and Savor were NOT honored and had to wait in line for a table--many upset people who thought that they had reservations to only be told to go to the end of the line.  Reservations for Manhattan Room and Speciality restaurants were honored.  This was on the Getaway pre covid (October/November 2019).  Don't know if this is still happening, but I have since made all my reservations for the Manhattan Room and avoided Savor and Taste for this reason.