Best Place For Night Sky?

Hi,

My DH is an avid astronomer and really looking forward to being able to view some of the more southern sky which is elusive in Canada. He will not have a problem figuring out what is in the sky but wonders where the darkest viewing location is on the ship? We will be traveling on Navigator of the Seas April 1 and do have a balconey but concerned that there will be too much light around us for good viewing. Where is it darkest on the Navigator?

Thanks in Advance,

Lynne

Go to the Promenade Deck, I think, and walk to the front or the back. OK, I've never been on the Nav, but this is the same for almost all the RCCL ship's I have been on.

The Promenade is the wrap-around walking deck, so there is usually an enclosed area at the front and maybe the back that is very dark at night. There are also portholes and openings there, so you can see out, but the range of view might be compromised.

Also, try the Sports Deck at the bow and stern, and see how they work out. This would be completely outside.

I couldn't sleep one night last October on board Sovereign of the Seas so I went for a stroll on the deck where the lifeboats were. It was around 4 AM. I can't remember if it was the front or back of the boat, but I remember it was very dark and the stars seemed brighter and closer than ever before.

Different boat, I know, but if the skies are clear, I would think you'll get some great views too.

I see that you mention the Sovereign as seeing a lot of lights. That cruise was one that I noticed lots of stars more than any other cruise I have taken so far. We were on the top deck (swimming pool and balcony above it).

A couple of years ago, I was on the NOS in the Eastern Caribbean. I took a walk one night to the bow (front) of the ship, on the deck where the helipad is. Very good spot for viewing the night sky. very little, if any light pollution!

Hi,

My DH is an avid astronomer and really looking forward to being able to view some of the more southern sky which is elusive in Canada. He will not have a problem figuring out what is in the sky but wonders where the darkest viewing location is on the ship? We will be traveling on Navigator of the Seas April 1 and do have a balconey but concerned that there will be too much light around us for good viewing. Where is it darkest on the Navigator?

Thanks in Advance,

Lynne

when I sailed her last year, the helipad was so dark I just about lost my cocktail when I tripped on a step (not complaining!), and I just loved how "isolated" I felt there. I would say that's about your best bet. Don't plan on being able to photograph much, though, as the ship is (obviously) moving and the long exposures required pretty much make a mess of it.

The bow of the ship is the best spot to view the night sky. The Captain keeps the deck up there as dark as possible, to allow for better navigation. The last thing they need is a buncha light pollution obstructing the view...

Archived