Fins Up and find out, Cruise and Stay

pr8hd

Taking a chance in two weeks on a 4 night Cruise & Stay package.  Price point worked out to around $125 per night PP for an Oceanview cabin and ocean view hotel room at the Viva Wyndham all gratuities prepaid.  Considered the Grand Lucayan until quoted a fare that was $300 per night more than the Viva Wyndham.  I get it that the Lucayan is a better property, but $150 PP/PN  ($600 total) over the Viva seems disproportionate.  

Package perks:  ALL Gratuities, beverages and transfers are included.   

Package does not include onboard WiFi, Specialty Dining, priority boarding or seating which are included with the special 'Chill " packages.   Pretty much they open the beverage spigot and turn you loose.  I see both good and bad things with this.  😄

There is NO automation with the reservation process whatsoever for the Cruise & Stay.  Everything is done over the phone in a painfully slow manner.  This seems to more about the technology used than the CSR.    The representatives are professional, courteous and dealing with a slow system.  

An issue came up and we had to change our reservation by a week.  After several minutes of hold music (Can you guess what song?  😄) we reached a representative who was very helpful and made the changes.  This took a while as technology has not improved in the last 24 hours 🤣

There was no difference in the fare, but a clearly posted $25.00 Admin fee was charged - no big deal.  Since we had the CSR on the phone, we asked  for a (Lighthouse) Grand Lucaya price quote.  For the new dates an Oceanview room at Lighthouse was $400 above Viva Wyndham.  ($200 lower than earlier dates quote.  It gets better!) 

Mrs P caught the word 'Oceanview' and asked about other rooms.  (This is the better part 🤑)  Island view rooms were $200 lower than Oceanview.    So, for $200 total we upgraded to the Grand Lucayan which seems to have consistently higher reviews and ratings across several travel sites.  Some of the recent ones for the Viva have been savage - usually addressing the same issues. 

Not thrilled that the cabin door faces directly into the aft elevator lobby.  CSR told us the upper decks were already booked.  May ask for a change at hotel services.  Or not.  I'm used to picking my own cabin.  But, I also understand the complexity of managing both one-way and round-trips based on MAS 2,4,6 night package plan.  Which may explain why booking a C&S takes so long.  

In Summary: 

• Booking is a tedious process.  Pack your patience before calling.
  • Oceanview rooms at both C&S (Cruise&Stay) resorts are an upsell.  
  • Upper deck (Deck 6 and 7) cabins are an upsell.
  • Oceanview cabins are inclusive with C&S
  • Cabins are assigned, not selected with C&Splan.
  • C&S (MAS site) includes "Express Pass".  The only place mentioning this is the "Faster Chill" package description.  Guessing it's only for priority boarding and debarkation to accommodate shuttle and resort schedules.
  • Heroes Sail Free program is not applied to Cruise&Stay.
  • The MAS website while big on pictures is a little short on information, particularly where Cruise&Stay is concerned.   I realize that JB isn't a fan of being over organized (Points if you get the reference  🙂), but it would be nice to know when the shuttle leaves.

Well, that is enough wasted electrons for now.  Hope to take some good pictures and report back in about 4 weeks.  

Edited by pr8hd
  • Like 1

The Grand Lucayan is adjacent the Port Lucaya Marketplace so there will be a little bit of shopping nearby and a Wendy's within walking distance, lol. We did a day pass at the Viva a few years ago and it was ok for the day but the hotel itself looked dated. Not sure about the Grand; it's no spring chicken either. Misc comments:

* Make sure your transfers are included. The resort is nowhere near the port.

* Keep in mind that hotel check-out may be as early as 11am but cruise check-in back at the port may not open until 3pm. So you may have time to kill depending on when your return shuttle departs.

* Not a lot to do in Freeport but for 4 nights with 2 on the ship, I think you'll have a good time.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Another reason for choosing the Lighthouse.  There is not much close to Viva. RT transfers and all gratuities are included.   Mentioning check in/out times bring me to the next commentary, 

Dear MAS,  Your website SUCKS!!   Trying to get information and details about the Cruise&Stay is maddening.  Actual, trying to get details about ANY of your excursions is maddening.  Put some effort into information and not just marketing.  Pretty pictures are worth a thousand words.  None of those thousand words providing detailed information about what you are selling. 

What I am hoping for is shuttle to Lighthouse at a reasonable time in the morning, check in to receive AI passes and play on the beach until the room is ready.   Check out of room by 11 and play on the beach until the shuttle takes me back to the ship.  Presuming the shuttle doesn't depart for the pier at 1130 or such.  See above rant to MAS.  😀

Thanks for the info.  Had not even thought about check-in time for the return sail.

I too am a 'King Bob'.  Pleasure to meet you.  🙂

Edited by pr8hd
Added verbiage

We did cruise and stay (but with family that lives there, so no hotel involved, we/they just use the boat like a ferry), anyway, check in to return was definitely possible earlier than 3pm in February--I think we were on around noon (definitely in time for lunch), and told that it was as late as...4? Double check with them when you get off, though, I don't remember 100% but it was later than we thought.

Check in in PPB was fairly slow for us (2.5 hours), especially after 27 hours of travelling from Vancouver, but checking back in on GB is super quick since not too many people are doing it, we didn't wait at all.

Have fun! We just booked again for June, looking forward to it! Freeport is fun, especially if you are going to rent a car and can explore a bit more 🙂