Rome tour with airport transfer - is a flight 100% necessary?

miguelmia

This concerns the end of a Celebrity cruise, so apologies in advance if this belongs in that subforum.

For my cruise ending in Civitavecchia, there's a shore excursion that visits St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum. One version drops you off at Ostiense station but it's sold out. The other version drops off at the airport. Since I'm staying two nights in Rome post-cruise, the former would be preferred but isn't available (and I'm not sure if I can join a waitlist). For the latter, would it be an issue if I don't have a flight reserved or can I just book it anyway? I don't mind taking the Leonardo Express to Termini station, which is right by my hotel anyway.

Why don't you check a private transfer to your hotel with or without the added tour? It could be break even cost with ship's transfer.

Check Stefano's Rome Cabs for their options.

romecabs.com 

BTW- the ship's transfer might be only a drive-by without inerior visits. 

2 hours ago, miguelmia said:

This concerns the end of a Celebrity cruise, so apologies in advance if this belongs in that subforum.

For my cruise ending in Civitavecchia, there's a shore excursion that visits St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum. One version drops you off at Ostiense station but it's sold out. The other version drops off at the airport. Since I'm staying two nights in Rome post-cruise, the former would be preferred but isn't available (and I'm not sure if I can join a waitlist). For the latter, would it be an issue if I don't have a flight reserved or can I just book it anyway? I don't mind taking the Leonardo Express to Termini station, which is right by my hotel anyway.

If you decide to go with the excursion, I would just look up a real flight and pretend to be on it.  Write down the airline name, flight #, and destination just in case you’re asked to provide that.  They never ask to see a ticket or anything like that.  

Years ago, on a Royal Caribbean cruise I was on, Royal Caribbean sold a post cruise transfer to Ostiense station.  It was not an excursion.  Just a straight transfer.  I was going to take the train from Civitavecchia, but decided to spend a little more for the transfer.  I made that decision during the cruise and purchased the transfer from customer service.  Have you called Celebrity to see if they sell direct transfers?  Or perhaps you really wanted the Vatican component of the transit. 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, miguelmia said:

We are also on a Celebrity cruise ending in Rome and planning 2 additional nights. I am debating using a Shared Shuttle and dropping luggage directly at the hotel, then doing in depth tour of The Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc. SharedShuttle.com offers transfers and/or tours. We are on Celebrity Edge in June. I hope I can get a small group of 4 others to join us.