What's better on M-Class, Sky Class Suite Guarantee or Family Veranda?

Sigyn

We are cruising to Alaska in July. I booked a Family Veranda cabin on Millennium, the one they now call the Ultra Deluxe. It has the huge corner balcony and sleeps five. It's just for my husband and myself. I switched our sunset veranda cabin to this one a few weeks ago right before I did final payment when it came available.

Now I see that the Sky Suite Guarantee cabin has dropped $1,000 in price and for the same price as adding the premium drink package and Wi-Fi to my Family Veranda cabin, I can book the Sky Suite Guarantee cabin. We'd even gain an extra $600 in OBC. My question to everyone here who knows these cabins and what M-class sky cabins are like, is this a good switch or should I stay with the Family Veranda? The benefit would be getting the butler and access to the Retreat. The con would be losing that huge corner balcony. We'd 

Currently the suites that are available based on what I see on that website that shows you all available cabins are one aqua suite and six sky suites in the accessible category. I know others could come up before the cruise in 75 days, but this is what's currently out there. There is also one penthouse suite that's open, but the odds of getting THAT one would be super duper slim and it's not even a possibility in my mind since a lot of people would be trying for that with Move Up or whatever it's called. 

Oh, I'm not even sure I CAN switch after final payment, 75 days before the cruise. Maybe this isn't possible without a big penalty. Just thought of that. 

27 minutes ago, njsmom said:

We are cruising to Alaska in July. I booked a Family Veranda cabin on Millennium, the one they now call the Ultra Deluxe. It has the huge corner balcony and sleeps five. It's just for my husband and myself. I switched our sunset veranda cabin to this one a few weeks ago right before I did final payment when it came available.

Now I see that the Sky Suite Guarantee cabin has dropped $1,000 in price and for the same price as adding the premium drink package and Wi-Fi to my Family Veranda cabin, I can book the Sky Suite Guarantee cabin. We'd even gain an extra $600 in OBC. My question to everyone here who knows these cabins and what M-class sky cabins are like, is this a good switch or should I stay with the Family Veranda? The benefit would be getting the butler and access to the Retreat. The con would be losing that huge corner balcony. We'd 

Currently the suites that are available based on what I see on that website that shows you all available cabins are one aqua suite and six sky suites in the accessible category. I know others could come up before the cruise in 75 days, but this is what's currently out there. There is also one penthouse suite that's open, but the odds of getting THAT one would be super duper slim and it's not even a possibility in my mind since a lot of people would be trying for that with Move Up or whatever it's called. 

Oh, I'm not even sure I CAN switch after final payment, 75 days before the cruise. Maybe this isn't possible without a big penalty. Just thought of that. 

In the first place, balcony not that big.  What you would get with Retreat way out ways everything else in a family veranda.  Any particular reason you two would need all that room?  Sky Suite is the way to go.   But as always, the choice is yours and reasons are only yours for your choices.

Edited by LMHSRN

19 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Celebrity should allow you to switch after final payment if the change is cost neutral or allows Celebrity to charge more. It is worth looking into.

The other question you have is whether it is worth swapping your FV for a SS guarantee.  I am a big FV fan and I think having the large corner balcony is perfect for Alaska.  However I would probably recommend choosing the SS guarantee because Celebrity's Retreat product is pretty good.  Millennium did undergo a Revolution makeover during its pre-COVID drydock which includes changes to enhance the Retreat experience.

It's worth giving Celebrity a call to explore the option to change to a SS guarantee.

• Like 1

Just now, njsmom said:

Thanks, both of you! I needed a bit of hand holding for this one. 🙂

It's a nice problem to have.  You cannot go wrong either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It's a nice problem to have.  You cannot go wrong either way.

True! I just realized, as I sit on hold with Celebrity, that the new price also includes gratuities, so it's a better deal than I originally noticed. 

2 minutes ago, njsmom said:

True! I just realized, as I sit on hold with Celebrity, that the new price also includes gratuities, so it's a better deal than I originally noticed. 

Normally any suite booking comes with an alcohol package, Wi-Fi, and gratuities included.  I am not sure about a Suite Guarantee booking.  Definitely ask about it.  AND if it is included, make sure your booking documentation reflects that.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

I'd jump on the suite guarantee. Way more pros than then cons of loosing the larger balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perfect, everyone. Thanks! I just did the upgrade. It cost an extra $1,940 to switch rooms, but well worth it for all of the added benefits, including $650 in OBC, as it turned out, plus gratuities, premium drinks Wi-Fi and Luminae, etc. 

With that extra OBC maybe I'll book Le Petit Chef after all. 😜

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Perfect, everyone. Thanks! I just did the upgrade. It cost an extra $1,940 to switch rooms, but well worth it for all of the added benefits, including $650 in OBC, as it turned out, plus gratuities, premium drinks Wi-Fi and Luminae, etc. 

With that extra OBC maybe I'll book Le Petit Chef after all. 😜

I am sure you will enjoy it.  There are those that say once you are spoiled by Celebrity's Retreat product, it is hard to go back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mahdnc said:

I am sure you will enjoy it.  There are those that say once you are spoiled by Celebrity's Retreat product, it is hard to go back.

And this will be our first Celebrity cruise, too. I had said that we were going to try Celebrity and see the difference in other cruise lines - we've done Carnival, NCL and Royal. This isn't a good test!!! 🙂

1 minute ago, njsmom said:

Hey, the Ultra Deluxe is already showing available again if anyone wants it, room #8166 - I know it's a fantastic room. They are super fast updating in real time on their site, eh?!

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 10.36.10 AM.png

You should definitely post this on your roll call if you haven't already.

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You should definitely post this on your roll call if you haven't already.

Our roll call is absolutely quiet. No one ever posts. I will anyway, tho, on the version on that social media site we can't mention here. 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion. 

Edited by njsmom

5 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Our roll call is absolutely quiet. No one ever posts. I will anyway, tho. 

That is a shame.

You should definitely follow @DaKahuna's live trip report which he posted the link to earlier in this thread.  He and his wife are staying in a Sky Suite on Millennium and he is posting frequently with photos.  They just started a 15 night Panama Canal cruise and I think you will find the information about the suite perks (Luminae dining, the Retreat areas on the ship) and photos to be extremely informative. It also gives you an opportunity to ask questions since you are new to Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

That is a shame.

You should definitely follow @DaKahuna's live trip report which he posted the link to earlier in this thread.  He and his wife are staying in a Sky Suite on Millennium and he is posting frequently with photos.  They just started a 15 night Panama Canal cruise and I think you will find the information about the suite perks (Luminae dining, the Retreat areas on the ship) and photos to be extremely informative. It also gives you an opportunity to ask questions since you are new to Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise. 

I'm on his live thread now. He's amazing with his posts! Thank you for suggesting it. His food pictures are remarkable.

It is a shame about the roll call. I'm used to active roll calls for my cruises. This one is just full of crickets. 

15 minutes ago, njsmom said:

It is a shame about the roll call. I'm used to active roll calls for my cruises. This one is just full of crickets. 

That is a shame, our toll call for this 15-day cruise is at 36 pages.  Longest one I have ever participated in. There are a lot of CC people on this cruise who are very communicative and active on the boards. 

My current view from our midship Sky Suite 

you will enjoy Millennium.

IMG_8546.thumb.jpeg.161768168effe12a928bb128969230e7.jpeg

If you have not already make sure you get your Crown & Anchor accout linkef to your Captain’s Club account just in case there are any benefits that flow over, especiall if you are Diamond or higher on C&A.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, njsmom said:

yes, I am.

You will have to remember to take a break from enjoying your Retreat benefits and look at the Alaskan scenery every now and then.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, njsmom said:

yes, I am.

Having cruised Celebrity's Southbound Glacier cruise and subsequently became a resident of Alaska, an aft cabin is ideal so that you can view scenery on both sides.  But I think that the only suite that is aft is a Penthouse Suite.  In my opinion, your decision to move from an aft cabin to a Sky Suite is a difficult one.  Have you checked to see what Sky Suites are remaining?

48 minutes ago, OUBaylor1 said:

Having cruised Celebrity's Southbound Glacier cruise and subsequently became a resident of Alaska, an aft cabin is ideal so that you can view scenery on both sides.  But I think that the only suite that is aft is a Penthouse Suite.  In my opinion, your decision to move from an aft cabin to a Sky Suite is a difficult one.  Have you checked to see what Sky Suites are remaining?

I've looked, none of them are aft. 

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Normally any suite booking comes with an alcohol package, Wi-Fi, and gratuities included.  I am not sure about a Suite Guarantee booking.  Definitely ask about it.  AND if it is included, make sure your booking documentation reflects that.

I appreciate your advice about making sure my booking documentation reflected the Wi-Fi, gratuities and premium drink package. I looked at it a second time yesterday afternoon and realized it did not. I was only getting the OBC, so I called Celebrity, and the customer service rep said oh, you have basic Wi-Fi for one person and the basic drink package for one person but it's just not on your booking doc yet. I explained how it was the premium version of each, and for two people. She asked where I was seeing that. I told her it was on the website for a suite guarantee booking at that very moment. I sat on hold for ten minutes, she came back, and said she'd put them on my booking and was sending a new booking confirmation. She said, "normally you wouldn't see them until you're assigned a cabin, but I'll go ahead and add them for you now." Since she'd said three completely incorrect things during our conversation, I didn't comment or question, just let her go on with it and send the new booking. I looked at it before we hung up and the new booking docs show the premium drink package for both of us, the premium Wi-Fi for both of us, gratuities and all of the OBC is still there (I made sure!) 

So, thank you! While it's possible I could have resolved later, it's also possible that it wouldn't have happened. Always better to fix it ASAP. 

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

I appreciate your advice about making sure my booking documentation reflected the Wi-Fi, gratuities and premium drink package. I looked at it a second time yesterday afternoon and realized it did not. I was only getting the OBC, so I called Celebrity, and the customer service rep said oh, you have basic Wi-Fi for one person and the basic drink package for one person but it's just not on your booking doc yet. I explained how it was the premium version of each, and for two people. She asked where I was seeing that. I told her it was on the website for a suite guarantee booking at that very moment. I sat on hold for ten minutes, she came back, and said she'd put them on my booking and was sending a new booking confirmation. She said, "normally you wouldn't see them until you're assigned a cabin, but I'll go ahead and add them for you now." Since she'd said three completely incorrect things during our conversation, I didn't comment or question, just let her go on with it and send the new booking. I looked at it before we hung up and the new booking docs show the premium drink package for both of us, the premium Wi-Fi for both of us, gratuities and all of the OBC is still there (I made sure!) 

So, thank you! While it's possible I could have resolved later, it's also possible that it wouldn't have happened. Always better to fix it ASAP. 

Thanks for letting me know about your experience.  I am glad you caught it and got it fixed.  Yes, it might have been resolved properly in your favor later, but I hate arguing that I should have something when I don't have it in writing.

David

• Like 1