Update to due deposit glitch

Kittehkay

A couple months back I posted about how it was saying I still owed a deposit because I clicked on “add travel protection”. Well, I finally got around to calling them since my final payment isn’t due for months. I was told since I clicked that more than 10 days ago, that it could not be removed and the only way it will go away is to pay it. I’m going to try to call again later and see if that’s actually right. So, I am once again asking, has anyone here dealt with this? 

Yes, once you add the travel insurance it can not just be deleted and refunded.  Insurance companies make their money by all the people who pay and don't use it.

This is pretty standard policy for any type of travel insurance you buy. 

You can delete gratuities once added, but not the insurance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Yes, once you add the travel insurance it can not just be deleted and refunded.  Insurance companies make their money by all the people who pay and don't use it.

This is pretty standard policy for any type of travel insurance you buy. 

You can delete gratuities once added, but not the insurance.

The thing is I never originally paid for it. I clicked on it to see the price and it wouldn’t let me undo it. I had done this 2 times in the past with no issue. It now wants me to pay for it for just clicking on it. The gratuities lets me add and unadd it all I want. 

To clear up some confusion I clicked on “add travel protection” after I had originally booked. My issue isn’t that I clicked it during my booking process and now want a refund. My issue is I clicked it to see the price and it won’t let me undo it unlike the gratuities. 

The thing with the travel insurance is that once you have it you are immediately covered and using it. If you had decided to cancel your cruise and wanted any "nonrefundable" deposit back your travel insurance would be there.

From what you said it appears they give folks ten days to change their minds or correct an error. That sounds reasonable. They are not going to let folks order it and be covered then cancel when the  cruise approaches and they had no need to use it. If those were the terms then the cost of the travel insurance would be much higher.

I do think they should flag that on the "add" button though. Some language such as "can not be cancelled after ten days" plus have a "remove" button for those ten days (all this assumes they do give 10 days to cancel the policy).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, icft said:

The thing with the travel insurance is that once you have it you are immediately covered and using it. If you had decided to cancel your cruise and wanted any "nonrefundable" deposit back your travel insurance would be there.

From what you said it appears they give folks ten days to change their minds or correct an error. That sounds reasonable. They are not going to let folks order it and be covered then cancel when the  cruise approaches and they had no need to use it. If those were the terms then the cost of the travel insurance would be much higher.

I do think they should flag that on the "add" button though. Some language such as "can not be cancelled after ten days" plus have a "remove" button for those ten days (all this assumes they do give 10 days to cancel the policy).

How am I covered and using it if I have not paid for it? The only thing I have paid for is the deposit. I think the wording I’m using is confusing, especially since you’re not looking at my booking. This is what I’m looking at. As you can see the gratuities lets me add and remove. 988DF7DF-0125-4E41-8510-F0698E10ADE8.thumb.jpeg.08a762c11f548ae53234558da86d393e.jpeg7C9FD997-6034-4601-9AB9-55279F196A5B.thumb.jpeg.7403e5dbebe83247bb891c6997c822de.jpegThe travel protection does not. It used to as I did it multiple times on previous bookings. The previous post I made months ago had people telling me I can just call and have it removed which is what I tried to do today. 

When you are in your booking, it will show you the price for the insurance as well as gratuities without "clicking" on the "add" button.  

Once you click "add" it is added to your booking and you are liable for it.  While you have not actually paid for it, it is added to your booking and has been added to the amount you have to pay. The only way to cancel it now is to cancel the entire booking.

The gratuities are different.  You can add and unadd these, but insurance once added can not be removed.  ICFT outlined why very well (I was going to do that in my original post too, but decided to skip it).  Insurance covers people and only works because the odds are in the favor people won't need it.  So everyone pays in regardless.   They would not be able to stay in business if we could add it and have it for months "in case we needed it" then at the last minute be able to cancel it (after having the coverage for potentially months).

The fact that you said you had added and unadded it multiple times is odd.  I have always seen the option only to add.  The minute it was added there was NO option to unadd (like the gratuities).  Maybe you were confusing it with the gratuities.  Even my PVP has told me once added they really can't remove it.  They will make exceptions SOMETIMES.  I had a booking that I literally had just added my insurance too and 24 hours later found out we had to move the cruise to a different date.  First they told me I was SOL on the insurance, but I pleaded my case explaining it was a family situation that was forcing us to move it, and they removed it.  It is NOT policy for them to do this normally though.

Below is an example of one of my bookings I have not added insurance to yet (only gratuities).  You can see it show the price insurance will be without having to hit the "add" button.

image.thumb.png.c96a440a38b8fd6c8c61b762f62944a8.png

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kittehkay said:

The thing is I never originally paid for it. I clicked on it to see the price and it wouldn’t let me undo it. I had done this 2 times in the past with no issue. It now wants me to pay for it for just clicking on it. The gratuities lets me add and unadd it all I want. 

My Cruise Manager allows me to see the amount for Carnival Vacation Protection cost per passenger average for each of my pending cruises.  Was it not showing you an amount average on your Cruise Manager Booking Order & Detail page?

Good job @wemjam!😁

Edited by ninjacat123

Usually clicking "add" on a cart page like that results in a final check out page, where you can either confirm/purchase or delete from your cart.

If just clicking "add" is a final purchase, it really should make it clear.  I can easily imagine people accidently clicking the "add" link, and being really upset they can't undo it just moments later.

Very poor design, IMO.

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Usually clicking "add" on a cart page like that results in a final check out page, where you can either confirm/purchase or delete from your cart.

If just clicking "add" is a final purchase, it really should make it clear.  I can easily imagine people accidently clicking the "add" link, and being really upset they can't undo it just moments later.

Very poor design, IMO.

I agree totally.  I found out the hard way a few years back too.