Give me an idea of how much time we need to disembark in Piraeus and board a flight in Athens airport

tscoffey

I'll be purchasing flights fairly soon for our April, 2024 Athens cruise, and subsequent visit to Rome.

I am hoping to get to Rome from Athens as early in the day as possible, but have no idea in how long the disembarkation process in Athens (customs, etc), transport to Athens airport, airport security, etc.

Ship arrive in Athens at 6AM. We can be up and ready to go then, but I doubt anyone is leaving the ship before 7AM.

This is a very common question, which appears on this forum several times a month.  Just read through this forum.

But to answer your question, somewhere between 11:00 and 14:00 is the earliest that cruisers with Piraeus-ATH experience recommend.  I lean towards the 11:00 side.  If you are not checking luggage, you may shave off another 30 min.

But remember: this is not northern Europe, and things go wrong much more frequently than what you may be used to, so extra time may be needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

I lean towards the 11:00 side.  If you are not checking luggage, you may shave off another 30 min.

But remember: this is not northern Europe, and things go wrong much more frequently than what you may be used to, so extra time may be needed.

Second this. 11am is the earliest if you are a couple without any kids in tow and travel well. 12-1 for anything else. 

Also what size ship are you on? We've arrived in Piraeus on large ships which literally took til 9am to get off of (with a 6am arrival) and we've been in on small ones where we walked off the ship at 7am. That will make a difference as well. 

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

Celebrity Infinity, medium sized ship 2100-2500 passengers.

We will not be in a preferred class for disembarkation.

I would aim more towards noon at the earliest then if you want a little bit of buffer in there. If you could do self disembarkation and carry your bags off yourself (which wouldn't require any preferred class) you could maybe do a bit earlier.