Getting on military bases in Japan

TeanneTX

I'm taking a cruise in Sept '24 around Japan.  I was born and raised in Japan (lived there until I was 13).  I was born at Tachikawa AFB and than lived up north at Misawa AFB. Any idea if I can get on those bases when I visit there next year.  I would love to be able to see all the places I was at as a kid.  Mostly just interested in Misawa AFB.  

Teanne

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 4:46 PM, TeanneTX said:

I was born at Tachikawa AFB and than lived up north at Misawa AFB. Any idea if I can get on those bases when I visit there next year. 

Shouldn't be any different than getting on base in the U.S., which generally requires being accompanied by a service member, and of course you must have legal photo ID. So if your passport is being held by the Cruise line to manage immigration, make sure you have your driver's license with you. No ID, no access.

It might be worth reaching out to a public affairs liaison ahead of your planned visit to see if someone can help with arrangements. Norah O'Donnell (the news anchor) just visited Okinawa because she lived on base as a child. Naturally, as a journalist there's a different channel for press arrangements, but it seems like as long as there aren't any unusual circumstances at the time of your visit (higher than normal threat levels, or a V.I.P. visit with higher than usual security) it should be possible to have someone accompany you for a visit or tour of some sort.

Also couldn't hurt to reach out to your Congressperson's office for help: it's a channel that often gets overlooked by people and since it relates to the service (your birth certificate must say you were born on base) that should get some attention. 

Good luck, keep us posted.