Another Skagway Train Question

tserface

I've read several threads lately about the train ride in Skagway and my wife and I are pretty sold on the idea based on the rave reviews. However, we're trying to figure out which one to do. The Yukon Exploration & White Pass version says that we would take a bus up, eat lunch in Caribou Crossing where we "can experience the warmth and playfulness of the puppy camp". We love Husky dogs, but the descriptions all go on to talk about panning for gold (something I'm not all that interested in really). My question: are there "puppies" here? If so, we may just do this excursoin rather than having to do one of the dog related ones that are separate and a different train ride.

Any thoughts on this from other dog lovers? The whole "excursion" thing is very confusing :confused:

Tom

Hi, Tom,

We did the bus up and train back. The lunch at Caribou Crossing was a great surprise. The folks there raise, train, and run dogs. You can walk among the dogs and pet them. There were no opportunities to ride a sled in Sept. of 2004 when we went. Caribou Crossing also has a very nice gift shop, and the owner displays a wonderful museum of stuffed animals in a large area that you enter from the shop. We really enjoyed the museum! In addition, we stopped at Emerald Lake, another lake, and a couple of scenic overlooks on the bus trip as well as the rustic village of Carcross in the Yukon. Out of five cruises (two on Celebrity to Alaska), I can honestly say that this excursion ranks at the top of our list.

I'm not sure about the gold panning you mentioned. There was none on our excursion. However, another excursion offered the train up and a bus to Carcross and and a different route to Liarsville. There was gold panning, a salmon bake, and also dogs at this location when we visited Liarsville in the late 1990's.

Hope this helps,

Did you happen to notice the American Train Presentation airing on PBS recently? At the very end of the program they highlight the Yukon train out of Skagway. It's fun to see and learn a little about the history. It's about an 8 minute segment.

Chilkoot Charters&Tours have some new variations type tours which mix train bus dogs lunch (less expensive than via the cruise line) as well as fishing and whale watching

Have been very helpful with information as we are in Australia organising our bookings prior to cruising.

• 4 weeks later...

Also if you do it on your own (i.e. not thru the ship) you can ride the train all the way back to the ship dock and not bother with the walk from the depot.

Archived