Mariner - aft 1392 or hump 7388 for three?

I need help.

I have the choice of either cabin 1392 or 7388 on the MOS. It will be a vacation for me, DW, and DS. We really love the idea of 7388 because of the enormous balcony, but we don't want our son hanging over our heads at night (we understand that the 7388 has a pullman bed). On the otherhand, the 1392 has a pull-out sofa, but has a considerably smaller balcony (the smallest on the aft deck 10). We like the idea of the 7388 so much that we've considered trying to have DS sleep on the loveseat (he's only 8), but are really not sure that he would be comfortable. Does anyone know if there is a pull out bed or some other option that would allow us to take the 7388 (and not have our son sleeping on top of us). Otherwise, I think we are just going to take 1392 (because it has a sofabed) and wait 'til our next cruise (which we plan to do without the little one) for the hump cabin. (FYI... JS is not in the budget)

What would you do?

:confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

_Carnival Paradise 07/1999

_Grand Princess 10/2005

I need help.

I have the choice of either cabin 1392 or 7388 on the MOS. It will be a vacation for me, DW, and DS. We really love the idea of 7388 because of the enormous balcony, but we don't want our son hanging over our heads at night (we understand that the 7388 has a pullman bed). On the otherhand, the 1392 has a pull-out sofa, but has a considerably smaller balcony (the smallest on the aft deck 10). We like the idea of the 7388 so much that we've considered trying to have DS sleep on the loveseat (he's only 8), but are really not sure that he would be comfortable. Does anyone know if there is a pull out bed or some other option that would allow us to take the 7388 (and not have our son sleeping on top of us). Otherwise, I think we are just going to take 1392 (because it has a sofabed) and wait 'til our next cruise (which we plan to do without the little one) for the hump cabin. (FYI... JS is not in the budget)

What would you do?

:confused:

_Grand Princess 10/2005

Creshando-

My parents and I had room 7388 on the Mariner this past August! The room was great and the balcony was absolutely AMAZING! :D Yes, there is a pullman atop the normal bed, however I am 24 years old and managed the pullman just fine. (very comfortable actually, and there is a bar to keep you from accidentally rolling off the side, so no worries there. ;-)) If you'd like to see my pictures of the room and or balcony let me know. However the three of us just loved our room and location, not to mention that balcony and view, as well as the sound of the wake- PRICELESS! I would do anything for that room again! :p

My son slept in that bed in that cabin three times: when he was 14, 15 & 16. He is a VERY tall young man, six feet now. Probably close to that most of that time. He was very comfortable in the pullman, and we were totally comfortable on the regular beds. You do NOT feel as though you have something "hanging over" you AT ALL.

Go for 7388. My favorite cabin for three, when money is a consideration.

1392 and 7388 are BOTH aft cabins. Neither of them is on the "hump". 1392 is a much larger cabin than 7388 and also has a very large balcony and a wonderful view. Here is a link to my photo gallery of aft cabins on Voyager-class ships so you can get a better idea of what you are comparing. 1392 is a different category than 7388 and will cost a little bit more, but you do get a much roomier cabin with a full sofa bed for your son. Both cabins are a great choice! Here's a link to my photo gallery...

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

Keep in mind that 1392/1692 and 7388/7688 are exactly the same but on opposite sides of the aft (and are mirror images of each other)

Hi Bonnie -

I have really enjoyed your information and pictures of aft cabins - it helped me make my decision when booking my next 2 cruises. I booked 1694 on the AOS and I can't wait! My question: Is the sofa bed a full size? We had a JS on the Radiance and the sofa bed was SMALL, not to mention short and very uncomfortable.....I will await your response! :D

The sofa bed in your JS on Adventure will be as "full" as they come on the ship. The sofa itself is fullsize, meaning it has 3 cushions. The "love seats" that are found in the category E cabins are not sofa beds and they only have 2 cushions. Here is a link to a photo of what the sofabed looks like in the open position...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/42736707/1425341685036355651PwckfE

The sofa basically just folds down flat to create a bed. It doesn't pull "out" like a traditional sofabed. It is not huge by any stretch but is at least a fullsize bed width if not a small queen. It is meant to be slept in lengthwise (meaning your head is at one arm of the sofa and your feet are at the other arm of the sofa) as opposed to those sofa beds that open out and you sleep perpendicular to the sofa (head at the sofa, feet away from the sofa). Am I making any sense here? :confused: My son has slept comfortably in this bed several times, but he is only 11 now so he has never been too large when sleeping in this bed and he has always been alone in the bed. I would think any sized person would be just fine in this bed if they are alone. Even a tall person could sleep on the side of the bed that extends out from the arms and could let their feet hang off if necessary. I don't think two adults would have much room to sleep in this bed. I think two small kids would do fine though!

I hope this sheds a bit more light on the subject rather than confuses the heck out you! :o

Thanks for the replies. I was very excited about the possibility of having such a large balcony in 7388, but I think it is more important to my DW and I that we have the extra bit of space the D1 cabin provides. She was more concerned about the pullman bed than I was because our son would be sleeping over our heads (it wouldn't bother me at all). Come to think of it though, our son would probably want to climb up and down the ladder, and that would get old for us quickly (so I understand her concerns). With 1392, he can just rest on the sofabed, and if he awakens before us, he is less likely to bother us.

I'm not sure that we will spend much time in the cabin anyways, as we are both very active during the day. On our last cruise we didn't spend very much time at all in the cabin (of course we've never had the luxury of a balcony, so that may change).

Thanks for the clarification on the hump vs corner aft. I've noticed some posts mention the hump and I thought they were talking about the corner cabins, so it was confusing. Thanks for the pictures, they really help me picture what it will be like. The one picture of the aft showing the room numbers is priceless. It really puts things in perspective. I noticed that the 1392/1692 has a smaller balcony, but that shouldn't be much of a concern, since it will be the largest balcony that we've ever had.

_Grand Princess 10/2005

_Mariner of the Seas 08/2006

I'm glad you were able to work through your decision. I think you will be very happy with your choice! Yes, 1392/1692 have a smaller balcony than the cabins beside them....but....they still have HUGE balconies! To be honest, that bunk over the main beds is the same dealbreaker that keeps me out of 7388/7688. We always select 1388/1688 instead (when available). I think you will find that you are spending more time in your cabin on this cruise because it will be very roomy and the balcony will be awesome! Have a great time!

Bonnie -

I guess I'm good and spoiled now after having a proper "pull out" sofa bed in our GS on the AOS. I looked at the picture ( thanks for posting the link!) and it appears that the JS sofa bed on the Voyageur class ships are not much different than the one's on the Radiance :( Oh well, I'm not spending the extra $$ for a GS again just for a bigger sofa bed - we will make do with what we have!

Thanks again for answering my questions!

Archived