Skagway Rail Luxury car

larrybritt

We are debating on taking the luxury car option on Princess and if it's worth the upgrade? My wife has some mobility issues and the swivel chair, food and personal assistant see interesting. I get the price is your choice, but has anyone tried it out and what was your experience?

I've done it.  The food was good and there was champagne.  I wasn't crazy about the swivel seats, but they are very comfortable and would be good for someone with mobility issues as long as you could board the car. It's a bit of a climb up, although they do put out stairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.febfe724a4759e9bf08a282e58bf09b5.jpeg

• Like 3

We are doing it on our May15th cruise, since it was our 30th anniversary I splurged.

Looking forward to it, My wife knows we are going on the train but not in this car.

One of the 4 surprise. 

Let me know if have any specific questions and I'll check it out and get back to when we return.

I did the same, wife knows but not this car as well. I'm sure she will enjoy it. thesmiths, what are your other surprises? And looks like you are from Delaware. We are in Myrtle Beach now, but lived in up there for 40 years.

Although I have not yet travelled in this luxury coach I have booked it for a June cruise. This was on the recommendation of a friend who did so in 2019.  Cunard is charging $345. Unlike the regular coach tickets which can be booked either through the cruise line or direct, the luxury coach can be booked only through the cruise line.

He highly recommended it. The bubbly is not Champagne but was a drinkable sparkling wine. He said the "goodies" were ample. The coach is at the end of the train and with the turning loop in operation at "Summit" the coach remains at the end of the train on the return. Before the loop was built, the locomotives were run around the train and it was pulled back to Skagway in reverse. So the last coach northbound became the first one on the return. As I found out on a trip a year or two before the loop was built (and before the luxury coach was introduced) standing on the open platform was not too comfortable with the diesel fumes. Fortunately that is no longer a problem. 

3 hours ago, larrybritt said:

I did the same, wife knows but not this car as well. I'm sure she will enjoy it. thesmiths, what are your other surprises? And looks like you are from Delaware. We are in Myrtle Beach now, but lived in up there for 40 years.

We live in Middletown for 30 years.

Going to relocate by years end or early next year, Probably the Eastern Shore MD somewhere on the water.

Let me preface this by saying I am going all out, it is our 30th anniversary, have not had a true vacation since pre-covid and with the cruises that had cancelled, I had stockpiled some vacation funds. I started planning ,2 years ago, just gave her an early Anniversary card with a Cruise ticket in it not to long ago for a surprise . we actually depart on our anniversary, May 15th, that's why I picked the 10 day from San Francisco. We get to San Francisco on May 12th.

I booked and Aft wrap suite, Wifey thinks we are in a Port Hole Cabin.

She knows we always get an Aft  Balcony, but I told her that they don't do them on a Alaska cruise for safety reasons, she's gullable. 

In Juneau we are going on a Helicopter to the Glacier and then the Airboat picks us up to zip us around, my wife is going to %^&!  herself when she finds out.

This is on North Star Trekking

Taku Glacier Helicopter & Airboat Adventure | NorthStar (northstartrekking.com)

Our port was changed from Victoria to Prince Rupert which I think is better even though I haven't been to either.

I booked a seaplane flight for just the 2 of us on Inland Air Charters.

Tours — Inland Air Charters Ltd.

Doing the Misty Mountain Fjord Tour

If my wife has recovered from the Heli/airboat ride,,,,

This will definitely send her over the top, I may have to get her depends for this one!

Skagway Booked the VIP car on the train ride up and back.

This is more my wife's speed, slow!

So looking forward to this, this is the only tour she knows about but not the VIP Car.. 

In ISP/Hoonah booked a Whale watching for just the 2 of us with Hoonah Whale tours

Whale Watching in Icy Strait - Hoonah Whale Tours

You never know for those on our cruise, If we meet new friends we like, 

If you have nothing booked in ISP or Prince Rupert, we may invite you along!

In San Francisco, she knows about the tours there, Alcatraz , Muir Woods & Sausalito +  +.

Edited by thesmiths

12 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Going to relocate by years end or early next year, Probably the Eastern Shore MD somewhere on the water.

Let me preface this by saying I am going all out, it is our 30th anniversary, have not had a true vacation since pre-covid and with the cruises that had cancelled, I had stockpiled some vacation funds. I started planning ,2 years ago, just gave her an early Anniversary card with a Cruise ticket in it not to long ago for a surprise . we actually depart on our anniversary, May 15th, that's why I picked the 10 day from San Francisco. We get to San Francisco on May 12th.

She knows we always get an Aft  Balcony, but I told her that they don't do them on a Alaska cruise for safety reasons, she's gullable. 

In Juneau we are going on a Helicopter to the Glacier and then the Airboat picks us up to zip us around, my wife is going to %^&!  herself when she finds out.

Our port was changed from Victoria to Prince Rupert which I think is better even though I haven't been to either.

This will definitely send her over the top, I may have to get her depends for this one!

So looking forward to this, this is the only tour she knows about but not the VIP Car.. 

In ISP/Hoonah booked a Whale watching for just the 2 of us with Hoonah Whale tours

In San Francisco, she knows about the tours there, Alcatraz , Muir Woods & Sausalito +  +.

That sounds like some awesome excursions for sure. We are also doing a seaplane ride in Juneau and some whale watching in Icy straight. If you get a chance when you get back I'd love to hear how it all does. We leave July 1st and our first time even going out west of Nashville.

@larrybritt         Hi Larry, I see you just booked your Alaskan cruise on the Crown --  leaving July 4th.

You indicated your wife has some mobility issues. 

I found information on the Princess website for people using wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  that have mobility issues.  Please follow up with your Travel Agent.

Per Princess Cruise Line:  You must complete a Mobility Request Questionnaire.

Mobility Requests:

Guests using mobility devices or who need additional assistance should fill out the below Mobility Questionnaire and return it to the Access Office. Traveling with a service animal requires review and prior approval from the Access Office. The Access Office can be reached at accessoffice@princesscruises.com or by fax at 661-284-4408.

Mobility Requests:

Go to -- Manage this booking.

Select -- Check-In

A “pdf file” for the request is found in the middle of your “Check-In” screen.

Also, you may want to check the sub forum – “Disability Cruise Travel”.  This forum provides general info regarding tips, accessibility, mobility, wheelchair assistance, tour operators that accommodate persons with mobility issues, etc.

In Addition:

The Princess Cruise Tour uses Ultra dome cars.

There are four (4) types of coach cars that Princess uses.  

Series II “A” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series I “B” Coaches – Not ADA compliant

Series I “C” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series II “E” Coaches – ADA compliant

If I remember correctly – B coaches are still not ADA accessible.

They coaches were built in various years from 1988 to 1996.  Please let Princess know your mobility needs.

ADA features:  Wheelchair life to lower level, 1 restroom, they added a lift to the upper level in 2006.

Hope this helps planning your cruise.  John

19 minutes ago, John99 said:

@larrybritt         Hi Larry, I see you just booked your Alaskan cruise on the Crown --  leaving July 4th.

You indicated your wife has some mobility issues. 

I found information on the Princess website for people using wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  that have mobility issues.  Please follow up with your Travel Agent.

Per Princess Cruise Line:  You must complete a Mobility Request Questionnaire.

Mobility Requests:

Guests using mobility devices or who need additional assistance should fill out the below Mobility Questionnaire and return it to the Access Office. Traveling with a service animal requires review and prior approval from the Access Office. The Access Office can be reached at accessoffice@princesscruises.com or by fax at 661-284-4408.

Mobility Requests:

Go to -- Manage this booking.

Select -- Check-In

A “pdf file” for the request is found in the middle of your “Check-In” screen.

Also, you may want to check the sub forum – “Disability Cruise Travel”.  This forum provides general info regarding tips, accessibility, mobility, wheelchair assistance, tour operators that accommodate persons with mobility issues, etc.

In Addition:

The Princess Cruise Tour uses Ultra dome cars.

There are four (4) types of coach cars that Princess uses.  

Series II “A” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series I “B” Coaches – Not ADA compliant

Series I “C” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series II “E” Coaches – ADA compliant

If I remember correctly – B coaches are still not ADA accessible.

They coaches were built in various years from 1988 to 1996.  Please let Princess know your mobility needs.

ADA features:  Wheelchair life to lower level, 1 restroom, they added a lift to the upper level in 2006.

Hope this helps planning your cruise.  John

awesome info to know and I will look into it. Thanks again for the help, appreciated.

23 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Hi.....we are also on this cruise...going all out for our 30th anniversary, 3 years late (May 2020 Alaska Cruise cancelled due to Covid). We will also be in the VIP Car on the train ride with you and are also in an Aft Wrap Suite (4228).  I guess great East Coast minds think alike 🙂.   Have a great trip and will probably see you somewhere along the way!!

Edited by thundercrack