TA price higher than Celebrity.com

ThankyouJames

First-time cruiser. I've been all over this site since I booked 2 cruises in January. I wish I had known about it before I booked!

My mother and I are on the Constellation for the 4/28/06 transatlantic. I checked Celebrity.com today to familiarize myself with their ships and noticed that the catagory of room, concierge class, we paid for is $400 cheaper on the website than what we paid through the travel agent.

We are returning westbound on QM2, with 2 more people, and after booking with the travel agent I found a fare (same category room) online for almost $3000 (!) less than I paid for our 2 cabins. I asked the travel agent about this and sat in her office for over an hour while she looked into it and did manage to get a refund of $600.

From what I've read about refunds and discounts I understand not being refunded because of specials for new bookings or resident rate discounts, but this price is taken from the companies web-site.

Is it appropriate to bypass the TA and call Celebrity directly?

The lowest available public rate will be offered on Celebrity's website. It may or may not be a restricted fare and not subject to re-faring. I can't say as I don't know what rate code you are booked under.

Call your travel agent, and not Celebrity.

Now, I am going to warn you, the Connie transat is on Happy Hour on Tuesday,,, Concierge Class $850 including port. Tax is extra. One cannot be refared to this Happy Hour rate. It is for new bookings only.

As to Cunard, agencies are not allowed to advertise discounted Cunard fares.

The rate you saw was a Cunard promotional rate available in the general marketplace.

Cunard has had a tough time filling those transats. In the case of Cunard, there are very few of us who specialize in that line and know day to day what's going on with the various promotions. Many fares are what Cunard calls "Flash Rates".. new bookings only. But there are times we can take a look at other fare codes available along with Flash Rates and still get the original fare lowered.

The lowest available public rate will be offered on Celebrity's website. It may or may not be a restricted fare and not subject to re-faring. I can't say as I don't know what rate code you are booked under.

Call your travel agent, and not Celebrity.

Now, I am going to warn you, the Connie transat is on Happy Hour on Tuesday,,, Concierge Class $850 including port. Tax is extra. One cannot be refared to this Happy Hour rate. It is for new bookings only.

As to Cunard, agencies are not allowed to advertise discounted Cunard fares.

The rate you saw was a Cunard promotional rate available in the general marketplace.

Cunard has had a tough time filling those transats. In the case of Cunard, there are very few of us who specialize in that line and know day to day what's going on with the various promotions. Many fares are what Cunard calls "Flash Rates".. new bookings only. But there are times we can take a look at other fare codes available along with Flash Rates and still get the original fare lowered.

REMEMBER IF THE PRICE HAS DROPED AND YOU ARE STILL 90 DAYS OUT YOU CAN CANCELL AND REBOOK

THIS HAPENED TO ME WITH A TA A FEW YEARS BACK SHE WOULD NOT CHANGE THE PRICE I TOLD HER TO CANCLE SHE MAID A CALL AND DID SO

I NEVER USED THAT TA AGAIN

STUR2 DAYTON,OHIO

Is there a way to get on a mailing list for these Happy Hour rates?

Mary Lou

You probably booked your April cruise at exactly the wrong time (but hindsight is 20/20). With final payment being 90 days before sailing, most cruise lines (not just Celebrity) tend to drop fares on underselling cruises after those final payments are made. That way those that have made final payments cannot seek a price reduction. (Note: Unless the sailing is underselling don't expect the price drop...or your first choice of cabin!)

As for Cunard, many TAs just don't sell much of it. The pricing structure is unique, the promotions to fill the transatlantics vary and it is hard to do a good job when out of left field a $599 special comes along after your client has just paid $1,599 for the same category.

So I can see your frustration, but don't have any good answers. I am not even sure that the best TA could deal with the Cunard issue well and your TA might have been "dancing with the devil" if she told you to hold off and book your Celebrity cruise 75 days before sailing...just in case the price drops...while your chosen cabin(s) may no longer be available.

REMEMBER IF THE PRICE HAS DROPED AND YOU ARE STILL 90 DAYS OUT YOU CAN CANCELL AND REBOOK

THIS HAPENED TO ME WITH A TA A FEW YEARS BACK SHE WOULD NOT CHANGE THE PRICE I TOLD HER TO CANCLE SHE MAID A CALL AND DID SO

I NEVER USED THAT TA AGAIN

STUR2 DAYTON,OHIO

Not so with all lines. Cruiselines are getting very savvy. If you have a booking, cancel, and rebook, they will not accept the new reservation. The original cancelled booking still shows in the reservation system.

ocngypz - Are the Happy Hour specials posted on Celebrity's web site on Tuesdays?

thanks,

I don't use celebrity's website. So I can't say yea or nay.

Happy Hour rates are not always so Happy, either.

Try this:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/

I always monitor the prices and call my TA whenever the price goes down (on the Celebrity site). The price has gone down twice on our May Alaska cruise (after the final payment) and My TA called Celebrity and they honored the lower prices both times. Celebrity will tell you that you must deal with your TA who is the intermediary with Celebrity. You should be successful;)

I appreciate all the advice. I live in a small town and am using a family owned travel agency that's been in town for longer than I can remember.

Our trip is very complicated, spending a lot and I wanted to give them the business. She was very gracious about getting the discount on the Cunard cruise. When I made the initial reservation I could tell they haven't delt with Cunard much, everyone in the office pitched to help with it.

As for the Celebrity discount I'll send her an email and see what she can do. This being my first cruise I feel like a real rube and am glad I found this web-site, it's certainly cleared up a lot of questions for me.

I'd like to sign up for the connections party mentioned, I think that's what it's called- my mother is going with me and she is very social and I'm not, for reasons I mentioned on the Cunard board. BTW, I booked this particular cruise only because the intinerary fit our plans and I think I may have stumbled on one of the best parts of the entire journey. You all seem like such a fun bunch! I posted on the Cunard board and didn't get much response.

Thanks again for all your help-:)

Linda

Not sure when you booked your Celebrity TA April cruise but the actual prices (not just Happy Hour) have dropped. I watch rates regularly and even after final payment I saw the drop and called my TA. I ended up getting a refund of a couple hundred $$ on the same cruise you are talking about (Come join our rollcall, we have a large group signed up already!)

You TA should be able to get something back. I didn't have to do anything odd, like cancel and rebook. Even have the same cc cabin.

Try this:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/

I always monitor the prices and call my TA whenever the price goes down (on the Celebrity site). The price has gone down twice on our May Alaska cruise (after the final payment) and My TA called Celebrity and they honored the lower prices both times. Celebrity will tell you that you must deal with your TA who is the intermediary with Celebrity. You should be successful;)

I'm sorry but I'm still confused :( . Does this site change every Tues and Thurs?

Happy hour rates are usually posted on Thursday and may or may not be the best prices. To the OP, as for what your agent gave you and what is available now, that is like saying I paid $1000 for my air ticket and now AA or whomever is only charging $379.00. What was available when she booked you is probably the best rate, but let her check it out as rates do change and sometimes they can be adjusted. As a TA I can assure you it would be rare for the website rate to be lower than what we have. A good TA will try and watch rates so they can inform clients of a drop in price, but this isn't always possible. We get busy: i check about once a week for my clients, that is the best I can do. I always hope to catch a lower rate; doesn' always happen. NMnita

I contacted my travel agent about the reduced rate on the 4/28/06 Constellation cruise and she got me a cash refund for the full $400 with no problem.

We also received a cash refund for the QM2 5/17/06 plus $400 onboard credit. This is after making final payment on both cruises.

Needless to say I'm very pleased and thankful for the good advice I've picked up from all you seasoned cruisers!

Definately takes a good TA to get it done... and... luck of the draw when your TA calls the line to get the booking changed...

I got lucky with my most recent cruise, as I was in penalty... and had they simply tried to cancel and rebook... it would have automatically fined me... NOW, if they transfer all my money to a new booking... and THEN cancel... there's nothing to fine!!!

Archived