First time is star class: can we invite people over for in room specialty dining?

We just won our Royal Up from a crown loft suite to a 2bedroom aqua suite on Oasis of the seas sailing in 5 days! Don’t know when we will hear from our genie. It’s just the hubby and I in the suite but we are part of a larger group which are not in star class. I know that my husband and I can order dinner from specialty restaurants to be served in our suite. But I think I read somewhere that we can have others join us for special dinners in the suite even though they are not staying with us. Is that correct? Is there a charge for their dinners? 

I know the genie takes drink orders throughout the day as well. Can our friends who visit our suite order drinks as well if they have the drink package? 

any helpful tips? Thanks 

• Like 1

Your guest will need to have the unlimited dining package or they will have to pay the per meal fee for any specialty meals in your suite. Your guest beverage package has no bearing on the Star drinks delivered to your room. You maybe able have some drinks delivered to accommodate a few extra but if you are requesting more than for your consumption they may ask you to pay.  You can however for a fee set up a party or so. Your genie will try to accommodate you as much as possible but will also let you know politely what they can and can not do for your guest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Since you asked, ...

I feel it would be completely disrespectful of the other rooms your genie must also service, if using your assigned genie to take care of other non-Star class passengers (unless this is a paid for option offered by RCL).

Instead, I buy enough Star class staterooms to accommodate my family, which is why I paid for the Royal Loft Suite and both Star Loft Suites on a future Harmony of the Seas cruise.

I want that level of service and I won't be disrespectful by expecting my genie to accommodate anyone who is not covered by that level of service.

This would almost be as bad as chair hogs.

Peace

Edited by 4-2-N-8

9 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Since you asked, ...

I feel it would be completely disrespectful of the other rooms your genie must also service, if using your assigned genie to take care of other non-Star class passengers (unless this is a paid for option offered by RCL).

Instead, I buy enough Star class staterooms to accommodate my family, which is why I paid for the Royal Loft Suite and both Star Loft Suites on a future Harmony of the Seas cruise.

I want that level of service and I won't be disrespectful by expecting my genie to accommodate anyone who is not covered by that level of service.

Peace

Wouldn't it be cheaper/better, to charter a private yacht, with crew?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper/better, to charter a private yacht, with crew?

Private yacht about $180K - $340K for a sailing (depending upon number of days and location).

This is less, and with two small kids in my group, they like this idea.

1 minute ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Private yacht about $180K - $340K for a sailing (depending upon number of days and location).

This is less, and with two small kids in my group, they like this idea.

I think it is like $15,000+ per Star Class Cabin minimum. For a set of Star Suites, this is big $$$$$+, not too far, from a smaller (under 100 foot) yacht. 

Guest 4-2-N-8
3 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

I think it is like $15,000+ per Star Class Cabin minimum. For a set of Star Suites, this is big $$$$$+, not too far, from a smaller (under 100 foot) yacht. 

I just like good (and prompt) service and no lines. I am willing to pay for it. This is a first time on RCL. Wouldn't do this otherwise, but for the kids.

I'd never take from others what they paid to have - I recommend always the respectful route.

Since OP was asking...

Just now, 4-2-N-8 said:

I just like good (and prompt) service and no lines. I am willing to pay for it. This is a first time on RCL. Wouldn't do this otherwise, but for the kids.

I'd never take from others what they paid to have - I recommend always the respectful route.

Since OP was asking...

I live on "Millionaire's Row"/Collins, a couple of blocks from Fontainebleau.  Luxury Yacht Charters, are big business in Miami Beach.  For the money, you get the absolute best, for the money. Your not getting your money's worth on Royal. 

Guest 4-2-N-8
Just now, gkbiiii said:

I live on "Millionaire's Row"/Collins, a couple of blocks from Fontainebleau.  Luxury Yacht Charters, are big business in Miami Beach.  For the money, you get the absolute best, for the money. Your not getting your money's worth on Royal. 

If my grandkids like it. I'm getting my money's worth.

21 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Since you asked, ...

Peace

Actually what I asked was for tips on how to utilize the royal genie as I made clear it would be my first time in Star Class. I was looking for some friendly advice, not to be accused of being “disrespectful” to other suites assigned to the genie. I’m in a 2 bedroom aqua suite which I assume sleeps at least 6. It’s just my husband and I. We will certainly be using the genie’s services much less than the larger group that the room usually holds. If one or two of the other group members stop by occasionally, and the genie should offer them a drink, it would still be less taxing on him/her than attending to a stateroom occupied by 6 people all week. 
i guess I made a mistake asking this question here. I’ll ask the genie directly once he/she is assigned 

• Like 8

Guest 4-2-N-8
3 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Actually what I asked was for tips on how to utilize the royal genie as I made clear it would be my first time in Star Class. I was looking for some friendly advice, not to be accused of being “disrespectful” to other suites assigned to the genie. I’m in a 2 bedroom aqua suite which I assume sleeps at least 6. It’s just my husband and I. We will certainly be using the genie’s services much less than the larger group that the room usually holds. If one or two of the other group members stop by occasionally, and the genie should offer them a drink, it would still be less taxing on him/her than attending to a stateroom occupied by 6 people all week. 
i guess I made a mistake asking this question here. I’ll ask the genie directly once he/she is assigned 

Fair enough.

No disrespect intended.

You asked a question, so I offered one perspective.

Peace to all.

Just throwing this out there to other CC'ers:  Have you ever been at a party or a networking group and stumbled awkwardly into a conversation that you felt like you shouldn't be involved with on any level?  I welcome you all to the "internet message board" version of that right here.  ***Casually and discretely saunters away and heads over to the hors d'oeuvres table*** ......

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, NaplesGoBlue said:

***Casually and discretely saunters away and heads over to the hors d'oeuvres table***

Did you pay for those hors d'oeuvres??

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, dleahy4444 said:

Why not just have your friends in the second bedroom then?

Not in star, don't get the benefits. 

This is part of the reason genies are starting to loose their powers recently, more and more people trying to see how far they can push the limits to others in their group that aren't star class...

If they do it for you, the next person with 6 in the room says "you've done it before, what's the difference?"

Edited by acuprulez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

With all due "respect"... I have to say that @4-2-N-8's posting probably was necessary. 

Because as I read your original post, your message was received as:  "how much can I get away with and how far can we push this."

This view is further supported by your follow-up comment were you reason that there are only two of you in a suite that could sleep six.  You're overlooking the fact that you've paid for only two of you:  if there were more guests in the suite, they would be charged as well.

Here are a couple of other RCI policies that should guide you:

• Diamond members who are sailing in a cabin with someone who has NOT reached Diamond level may NOT bring the other person to the Diamond Lounge.
  • Passengers traveling in a Suite are not permitted to bring others to the Suite Lounge.
  • Passengers traveling in a Suite are not permitted to bring guests to Coastal Kitchen.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

With all due "respect"... I have to say that @4-2-N-8's posting probably was necessary. 

Because as I read your original post, your message was received as:  "how much can I get away with and how far can we push this."

This view is further supported by your follow-up comment were you reason that there are only two of you in a suite that could sleep six.  You're overlooking the fact that you've paid for only two of you:  if there were more guests in the suite, they would be charged as well.

Here are a couple of other RCI policies that should guide you:

• Diamond members who are sailing in a cabin with someone who has NOT reached Diamond level may NOT bring the other person to the Diamond Lounge.
  • Passengers traveling in a Suite are not permitted to bring others to the Suite Lounge.
  • Passengers traveling in a Suite are not permitted to bring guests to Coastal Kitchen.

Rest assured that my original question was simply a request for information about what the genie does, not an attempt to “get away” with anything or “push this”. As I stated previously, it was  a mistake to ask on this board as my intentions have clearly been misinterpreted. I will ask the genie directly once one is assigned.

As far as the rules in the diamond and suite lounges, I’m well aware of them, being D+ and having stayed in sky suites many times. I asked the question about the genie since it will be our first time and no one has been assigned as yet. I’m sure the genie will explain the parameters to me once onboard. I will be guided by what I hear directly from him or her. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

We just won our Royal Up from a crown loft suite to a 2bedroom aqua suite on Oasis of the seas sailing in 5 days! Don’t know when we will hear from our genie. It’s just the hubby and I in the suite but we are part of a larger group which are not in star class. I know that my husband and I can order dinner from specialty restaurants to be served in our suite. But I think I read somewhere that we can have others join us for special dinners in the suite even though they are not staying with us. Is that correct? Is there a charge for their dinners? 

I know the genie takes drink orders throughout the day as well. Can our friends who visit our suite order drinks as well if they have the drink package? 

any helpful tips? Thanks 

You've asked for helpful tips, so here are a few:

1. Ask your Genie to make reservations IN the specialty restaurants for you and your group.  If you're a large party, the Genie's influence could help you get the larger table at the time you want.  I've been on Oasis a number of times and the distance between your suite and any of the specialty restaurants is great.  Furthermore, each of the specialty restaurants serves a multi-course meals.  I'm not sure what the suite standard is --whether they deliver each course separately or all at once-- for in-room dining, but either way has its issues.  Delivered all at once means at least one course won't be served/eaten at it's optimum condition, and delivery of each course one at a time can mean a very long meal period.  Next, the larger your group is, the more chances there's a special request when food is served, such as "I need more sauce," or "my steak is too rare" and that translates to another trip to the restaurant and a longer wait.  I've just watched a video review of a 2BR Aqua Class room on Oasis:  there's a small table that could fit 3 people comfortably, with 4 being a squeeze indoors.  Otherwise you can seat 6 at the table on the balcony, which means your dinner could be uncomfortable with weather conditions or high wind.  Lastly, just ask yourself when was the last time that you ordered room service and truly had a delicious mean?
  2. You might want to consider having your group over the evening of Day 3 or Day 4 to view the Aqua 80 show in the evening.  From watching the video review, you probably could accommodate 8 to 10 guests on the large balcony to see the show.  Apparently, cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries and fruit are delivered daily, along with plenty of champagne.  So you could accumulate these it ems to have on hand to serve your guests on-the-cheap, without disturbing a Genie.

Hopefully these ideas help you impress your guests and show off the beautiful suite you scored.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Rest assured that my original question was simply a request for information about what the genie does, not an attempt to “get away” with anything or “push this”. As I stated previously, it was  a mistake to ask on this board as my intentions have clearly been misinterpreted. I will ask the genie directly once one is assigned.

As far as the rules in the diamond and suite lounges, I’m well aware of them, being D+ and having stayed in sky suites many times. I asked the question about the genie since it will be our first time and no one has been assigned as yet. I’m sure the genie will explain the parameters to me once onboard. I will be guided by what I hear directly from him or her. 

In all sincerity, you may want to search for this video: 

2 Bedroom Aqua Suite Room Tour & Review | Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas

While it's only one reviewer's opinion, he's posted many reviews that are thorough and he gives a complete walk-through of the suite.  He concluded that his party of 3 would have been happier in a 1BR Crown Loft Suite because of the layout.  While the balcony space is incredibly large, the living room area in the 2BR looks rather cramped.

11 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

You've asked for helpful tips, so here are a few:

1. Ask your Genie to make reservations IN the specialty restaurants for you and your group.  If you're a large party, the Genie's influence could help you get the larger table at the time you want.  I've been on Oasis a number of times and the distance between your suite and any of the specialty restaurants is great.  Furthermore, each of the specialty restaurants serves a multi-course meals.  I'm not sure what the suite standard is --whether they deliver each course separately or all at once-- for in-room dining, but either way has its issues.  Delivered all at once means at least one course won't be served/eaten at it's optimum condition, and delivery of each course one at a time can mean a very long meal period.  Next, the larger your group is, the more chances there's a special request when food is served, such as "I need more sauce," or "my steak is too rare" and that translates to another trip to the restaurant and a longer wait.  I've just watched a video review of a 2BR Aqua Class room on Oasis:  there's a small table that could fit 3 people comfortably, with 4 being a squeeze indoors.  Otherwise you can seat 6 at the table on the balcony, which means your dinner could be uncomfortable with weather conditions or high wind.  Lastly, just ask yourself when was the last time that you ordered room service and truly had a delicious mean?
  2. You might want to consider having your group over the evening of Day 3 or Day 4 to view the Aqua 80 show in the evening.  From watching the video review, you probably could accommodate 8 to 10 guests on the large balcony to see the show.  Apparently, cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries and fruit are delivered daily, along with plenty of champagne.  So you could accumulate these it ems to have on hand to serve your guests on-the-cheap, without disturbing a Genie.

Hopefully these ideas help you impress your guests and show off the beautiful suite you scored.

Thank you for your helpful post. Our group does have reservations for most nights at specialty restaurants. I thought in room dining might be a nice change, but as you pointed out, there are issues with the food coming all at one time.  I was also planning to invite group members to watch the aqua show from our room. I think I have the snacks and champagne covered as I intend to purchase several of the champagne packages from Royal Gifts. Thanks for the suggestions 

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

In all sincerity, you may want to search for this video: 

2 Bedroom Aqua Suite Room Tour & Review | Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas

While it's only one reviewer's opinion, he's posted many reviews that are thorough and he gives a complete walk-through of the suite.  He concluded that his party of 3 would have been happier in a 1BR Crown Loft Suite because of the layout.  While the balcony space is incredibly large, the living room area in the 2BR looks rather cramped.

I actually was in a crown loft before we upgraded and was looking forward to it. But we decided on the aqua suite because of the balcony. And we never had the genie experience. Before we booked it we figured we might not use this service very much since we have 4 nights scheduled in specialty dining, and we would want to sit with our group at  entertainment venues , so no need for priority seats are being escorted. Several in our group are solo travelers so we don’t want to leave them to fend for themselves. Basically we wanted the extra living room and balcony space. I did see that video. Yes the second bedroom is unattractive but it’s just my husband and I so we won’t be using it. But that for all the info

24 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Given your tenure on the board and activity,, with 800+ postings, I'm sure you're well aware of this forum's reputation for being a discussion board for cheating and gaming the system:  you don't have to look too far back for comments on how to smuggle liquor on board, manipulate OBC, attempting to bring guests into CK or use the casino as a free ATM... all circumstances that are either against policy or spirit of the line's intentions.

So I'm sure you can understand the initial reaction by some of us.

Yes, your Genie will fill you in on all the details, except for one:  The all inclusive gratuities for Star Suite guests does NOT include your Genie.  It is more than appropriate to compensate them with a gratuity commensurate with the extent of services and time that you ask of them for the week.  

15 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you for your helpful post. Our group does have reservations for most nights at specialty restaurants. I thought in room dining might be a nice change, but as you pointed out, there are issues with the food coming all at one time.  I was also planning to invite group members to watch the aqua show from our room. I think I have the snacks and champagne covered as I intend to purchase several of the champagne packages from Royal Gifts. Thanks for the suggestions 

Maybe some other guests who have sailed Star Class can elaborate on Champagne delivery that was mentioned in the video review that I watched.  He stated:  "...with all the Champagne that has been brought to this room, we are about 'Champagne-ed Out."  You might not need to purchase any of the champagne packages unless you're fond of a particular high end one.  Even if you are, the UDP which is included allows you to purchase wine (sparkling or not) at a 40% discount for bottles under $100 and a different discount for those $100 and above.  Caveat here is that it's ONLY in specialty restaurants, so on Oasis I couldn't get the discount in Vintages and had to walk next door to purchase a bottle in Giovani's which was then walked by staff to Vintages.  I would expect a Genie to cut through that policy for you. 

4 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Given your tenure on the board and activity,, with 800+ postings, I'm sure you're well aware of this forum's reputation for being a discussion board for cheating and gaming the system:  you don't have to look too far back for comments on how to smuggle liquor on board, manipulate OBC, attempting to bring guests into CK or use the casino as a free ATM... all circumstances that are either against policy or spirit of the line's intentions.

So I'm sure you can understand the initial reaction by some of us.

Yes, your Genie will fill you in on all the details, except for one:  The all inclusive gratuities for Star Suite guests does NOT include your Genie.  It is more than appropriate to compensate them with a gratuity commensurate with the extent of services and time that you ask of them for the week.  

I never thought of this board in that way. I always thought of a place for cruisers to ask for input from other cruisers that may have more experience with a particular topic. Frankly I’m too focused on my particular issues to be concerned about what other people are doing, if they are “gaming the system” etc. 

Yes, I do know that the genie gratuity is not included. I have already researched what others have posted as the appropriate range, which we will use as a guide. We are always grateful for whatever is done for us try to be generous.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Maybe some other guests who have sailed Star Class can elaborate on Champagne delivery that was mentioned in the video review that I watched.  He stated:  "...with all the Champagne that has been brought to this room, we are about 'Champagne-ed Out."  You might not need to purchase any of the champagne packages unless you're fond of a particular high end one.  Even if you are, the UDP which is included allows you to purchase wine (sparkling or not) at a 40% discount for bottles under $100 and a different discount for those $100 and above.  Caveat here is that it's ONLY in specialty restaurants, so on Oasis I couldn't get the discount in Vintages and had to walk next door to purchase a bottle in Giovani's which was then walked by staff to Vintages.  I would expect a Genie to cut through that policy for you. 

Great tip, thanks