Live Report- Norwegian Star May 11th-21st 2023. Is this my last time on a small ship?

6 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

It’s US dollars. We haven’t needed to spend anything yet but have a credit card that does not charge for foreign currrncy.

Super helpful, thanks!! I’ve sailed NCL out of Europe but could not remember how the currency changed. I definitely need a travel credit card! 

• Like 1

We went back to the Botanic gardens and we were so glad we did as this time we walked a different way around the side of the Ulster Museum and found the delightful Temperate greenhouse and tropical ravine. They were amazing. The palms were huge and there were all different exotic plants. A real feast for the eyes.IMG_9112.thumb.jpeg.9ebf41b19ff35a9faaa1cef9f0d2c7d9.jpeg

IMG_9118.thumb.jpeg.59767d5453dc3f74e1b34064a9380301.jpeg

IMG_9088.thumb.jpeg.26b9787e094f797efbc085d459b925a8.jpegIMG_9125.thumb.jpeg.38f274f8c772094bb8493837d6182663.jpegIMG_9123.thumb.jpeg.af470e4d58889deb7563b2ecb3ad64e5.jpeg

IMG_9117.jpeg

IMG_9121.jpeg

IMG_9131.jpeg

IMG_9128.jpeg

• Like 5

The gardens are completely free and so is the museum.

we paid for standard taxi on the way, as it was there and easy. This cost £18 but we gave him £20. The driver’s chat was amusing and fun.

For our return journey, we called ‘ Value Cabs’ who are always cheaper. There number is (028) 90 80 90 80.

Their charge for the same journey was £12.80 so we gave him £15.

That driver was also pleasant and friendly.IMG_9068.thumb.jpeg.b1fee9dec4278bd6456a66998c6923c9.jpeg

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

• Like 3

We’re back onboard now having a rest before we go to our Sapphire Latitudes, ‘dinner with the officers’. 

It will be another dry nite as again, no alcohol will be served because of ‘UK port rules’. I am aware there is another post discussing this at length so enough said about that! 
Suffice to say the squirrels are not the only ones who store treats away for another day! We have a fridge on our room and have enough acorns, I mean wine, for tonight! 

IMG_9141.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Had a fabulous evening of good company, conversation and food with officers. I’m grateful to be rewarded with extra treats such as this. I must say David is an excellent Cruise Next manager, member of staff and host! The evening with three other officers, was made entertaining, comfortable and fun, under his lead and supervision. It was our first experience this event, and I look forward to our next. No photos I’m afraid! ☺️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

Were the alcohol issues brought up at all with the officers? Not to divert this thread towards the other - just curious 

There was no appropriate opportunity, to discuss the elephant on the ship during dinner.

This was a large group (table set for over 20), all our previous ones have been smaller tables where it has been easier to open discussion to policy.

• Like 3

Went to Gatsby’s and enjoy piano music and songs from Tony.

met our friends to catch up the day and soon after they left to head for bed at 11.30 the bar staff indicated we could now have alcohol again. We passed and went to bed as didn’t feel the need at that time. 
We are now on the top of Ireland!

Good night! 

IMG_9143.jpeg

IMG_9145.jpeg

• Like 1

We arrived in Killybegs and at just after 8am, the gangway is in place a the announcement was made that people can go ashore. There is a shuttle available for €2 each way or it is a 10 minute walk into town. All aboard is 7.30. It really is great to not have those tender announcements every few minutes as it makes it a more restful wake up! 

We went to bed BA(before alcohol) I did have a bottle from the cabin in bliss around 10:30 the earlier wine had topped up Belfast pub beers.

Just been out to H2O to check weather , quite cool and a breeze going to give it a bit longer.

Think I will get away with shorts and fleece, OH will have the Arctic gear on.

• Haha 2

Good to meet you and Mrs IC last night.

Layers are the way to go!
I spoke to soon about the peaceful start! We started getting loud alerts in our room from 9.45 about staff drill happening. It’s good to know we’re in safe hands though! 

On 5/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, jennjess said:

Thanks for the photos.  We will have very little time as the ship will not arrive until 1.30 and with tendering and travel into Waterford will have to pick one or two attractions before they close for the day.

We're on the same cruise as you Jennjess.     With reading this blog, I have been wondering whether to cancel our pre-booked tickets for the crystal factory tour - with timings for tendering, bus etc 🤔    I would've bought the multi ticket option for various attractions but, as you say, I think we'll be pushed to do more than 1 or 2 things before they close up for the day.    It's a pity that Waterford & Dingle weren't the other way around for us 🥲but, I guess we'll just have to consider a 2nd visit.

37 minutes ago, DPGat4 said:

We're on the same cruise as you Jennjess.     With reading this blog, I have been wondering whether to cancel our pre-booked tickets for the crystal factory tour - with timings for tendering, bus etc 🤔    I would've bought the multi ticket option for various attractions but, as you say, I think we'll be pushed to do more than 1 or 2 things before they close up for the day.    It's a pity that Waterford & Dingle weren't the other way around for us 🥲but, I guess we'll just have to consider a 2nd visit.

It all depends on how interested you are in each museum. They can be done relatively quickly if your not stopping to study a lot of the exhibits.

if there is one you particularly want to go to and enjoy to the full maybe that’s best. How much time do you think you’ll have?

I hope @ziggyukputs up some pics of Waterford Crystal and bishops palace and gives you an idea of how long they take. I only spent 15 minutes in the Silver museum. Mr CT said his  30 minute museum of time was not enough for him but I’m sure it would have been for me! I guess best to prioritise but I think you could easily get two in. 

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

It all depends on how interested you are in each museum. They can be done relatively quickly if your not stopping to study a lot of the exhibits.

if there is one you particularly want to go to and enjoy to the full maybe that’s best. How much time do you think you’ll have?

I hope @ziggyukputs up some pics of Waterford Crystal and bishops palace and gives you an idea of how long they take. I only spent 15 minutes in the Silver museum. Mr CT said his  30 minute museum of time was not enough for him but I’m sure it would have been for me! I guess best to prioritise but I think you could easily get two in. 

Hi, yes, here are some pics from the Waterford Crystal Tour.

IMG_20230513_140624.thumb.jpg.d6afb4c1f7993356652d8d6cb79b9526.jpgIMG_20230513_141657.thumb.jpg.c59b2be87b49e4a4d51b2a3b91973be2.jpgIMG_20230513_142144.thumb.jpg.7fbbc3a87fa042c49bc0e8d90c8cfd6b.jpgIMG_20230513_143306.thumb.jpg.c8821d39954df7c48c39c83b9757762b.jpgIMG_20230513_141544.thumb.jpg.92ee424693d51e5f5045acf8b1d1ceee.jpgIMG_20230513_143351.thumb.jpg.e5c7634a66d42b854760b2336b3ec967.jpgIMG_20230513_144518.thumb.jpg.1cdffdda58cf6b3fb341f8065ab816f4.jpgIMG_20230513_144131.thumb.jpg.d0afa15f8c444f0baf1ae6827c6b3cd4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

Obviously, we are simply bound by our arrival (due 1330hrs).   As long as we arrive on time we then have the tendering process & transfer to town to consider.   I'm hoping we can get into town by 1500hrs and our tour of the Waterford Crystal factory takes approx 1hr.    IF, we do make good time, we hope to pop over to the Bishop's Palace but, their tour takes approx 45mins and it closes at 1700hrs so really, we will have to be in there for by at least 1600hrs (a bit of mooching on our own might've been nice too at least we'd see it all on the tour).  

18 hours ago, insidecabin said:

There was no appropriate opportunity, to discuss the elephant on the ship during dinner.

This was a large group (table set for over 20), all our previous ones have been smaller tables where it has been easier to open discussion to policy.

WOW!  A table for 20!  Most of the time it's just six to ten persons.  Who were the officers?  My wife and I have shared dinner with 28 NCL officers, so maybe we know some of the ones you met.

14 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

WOW!  A table for 20!  Most of the time it's just six to ten persons.  Who were the officers?  My wife and I have shared dinner with 28 NCL officers, so maybe we know some of the ones you met.

We had 4, I don't remember names had to grab them from rouges gallery.

Group coordinator, guest service manager(Charline), HR director(Martin), and Cruise next manager(David) hosted

MrCT took some shots of peat cutting. They cut it by hand for personal use but also sometimes use a machine. We don’t do this now in England so it was unusual for us to see. They dry it and use it for burning. In earlier days they put it under the thatch making it it impossible to get insurance nowadays. 

0812c055-f4b2-4044-9f08-859a943b42d6.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

7e7ba534-fb62-4ff2-9318-2eeb2389a3ba.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

I think the Bishop's Palace looks good and we'll see what time is left after that.  Do you remember what time the last tender back to the ship was?