STAR aft AD 10226: Did I make a mistake?

love2relax

We booked cabin 8170 months ago on the Star for Alaska this summer, and enjoyed viewing the photos of the wrap-around balcony that we found on this site, but the part on the side looked so narrow that we didn't know if we would feel claustrophobic. To make a long story short, 10226 became available, and I upgraded to it. It looked like it had a wrap-around balcony too (according to ship diagrams) but now I've learned that it doesn't. :( I'm still happier with the higher deck, but I am wondering if we have limited ourselves by giving up the wrap-around. It's too late to switch back. The ship is nearly sold out. Is there anyone who has stayed in 10226 that can tell me how wonderful it was so I can stop feeling like I have made a big mistake? :confused: I'm hoping that the balcony is deeper since there isn't a wrap-around, and it has about the same square footage of 8170. Thanks in advance.

Hi. We were on the Star on 2/5 and booked Alaska, 10228, for 8/13. When we left the ship we drove to the parking lot across and took some pictures. According to our pixs, your cabin has a balcony in aft and on the side-a double balcony. The side balcony seems to have a door from the cabin to the balcony. Hopes this helps.

Just got off the Star. Stayed in 10728. Looked over railing into neighbors deck at 10726:eek: . No wrap that I could see. Just aft balcony. Don't know if there is another door to a side balcony.

I found this comment on your exact room on the star:

We booked a romance suite, #10226. The room was gorgeous. Rich, dark woods, silk wallpaper. It was very luxurious, and romantic. I don't know how the decor compares on decks 8 and 9 (the AE suites?), if someone had pictures of specific AE suites, I could comment, but I didn't see any for myself.

I can tell you that we didn't have a wrap around deck. However, we had plenty of privacy and the deck was very large. In fact, I would prefer deck 10 because there was no one above us (at least not staterooms...the spa is directly above I think), and I never saw anyone else while on our balcony. The other thing I liked about the balcony was the fact that it wasn't completely closed off on top. I'm assuming that on lower decks it would be more closed off because there is a deck right above you. That is another reason we chose deck 10 because we wanted it to feel more "open."

I agree with Shadowfox about getting hooked on stern suites. The view was gorgeous, and definitely romantic.

You WILL LOVE your Aft Balcony we were on the Star in January! 10730, right next to the Romance Suites! I heard a couple in front of os that were in one of the end Cabins talking to a couple of trying to get there room steward to open the door to have the bigger wrap balcony! So you may have some luck with this! Have a great cruise! The balconie back there are a very nice size!

Thanks so much to all of you for your quick responses!

MikeKaye, You quoted the exact post that I read which made me start regretting my change. After I read that there wasn't a wrap-around, I tuned out the fact that it was gorgeous. I was really bummed. I also wondered about it being more open (i.e. freezing) in Alaska!

dwrist, I'll send you an email to get the pic. Thanks.

Nilla, It's so nice to hear that the occupants were thrilled with their cabin. I have read other postings that no one has seemed to have much luck getting that door unlocked. But I can be really charmingly persistent when I put my mind to it. I just want it open on the Glacier Bay day.:)

legalcruiser, I realize there isn't a side door like the AA cabins have, but the cabins like 8170 do have a side finger that is attached to the aft end. That's why I booked it in the first place. But after all of the pictures, I just felt it would be really narrow. And the rest of my family will be on Deck 11...so ...I opted for the higher suite on Deck 10. Now if I could just work out a reasonable upsell for an AA. That's what I really want...but I just can't afford one :( (too many cruises in 2005 and 2006) :D

We booked cabin 8170 months ago on the Star for Alaska this summer, and enjoyed viewing the photos of the wrap-around balcony that we found on this site, but the part on the side looked so narrow that we didn't know if we would feel claustrophobic. To make a long story short, 10226 became available, and I upgraded to it. It looked like it had a wrap-around balcony too (according to ship diagrams) but now I've learned that it doesn't. :( I'm still happier with the higher deck, but I am wondering if we have limited ourselves by giving up the wrap-around. It's too late to switch back. The ship is nearly sold out. Is there anyone who has stayed in 10226 that can tell me how wonderful it was so I can stop feeling like I have made a big mistake? :confused: I'm hoping that the balcony is deeper since there isn't a wrap-around, and it has about the same square footage of 8170. Thanks in advance.

We also booked AE 8170 for our cruise to Alaska on May 28th. We really like the idea of the wrap-around balcony even if it is narrow. After seeing pictures taken by BDblouder who was in that cabin last summer to Alaska, it sold us. We'll take lots of pictures and let you know how we like it!

We just got back from a caribbean cruise on Carnival and had an aft cabin. Unfortunately, it was so hot and the ship was always anchored with the bow into the wind so that we couldn't get a seabreeze. The northeast and west coast have cooler water temps than the caribbean, so I may consider an aft on the Star next February when we are visiting our grandsons in LA. Anyone else tried an aft from LA to Alcapulco? I'd appreciate any input.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

We were on teh Star from Jan 28- Feb 5th we were on teh revised Itinerary, but the Aft Cabin was lovely! We only went as far as Manzanillo! But it was very nice to be at the back I went to a few different cabins around the ship, and I noticed that they did not have full acess to there balony due to wind and what not! I sat out many nights on the deck reading and watching the waves go by! I would strongly suggest trying for a BA 10230 or 10730 the balconies are the largest of the BA categories! Good luck, you will love the Cabin!

We just got back from a caribbean cruise on Carnival and had an aft cabin. Unfortunately, it was so hot and the ship was always anchored with the bow into the wind so that we couldn't get a seabreeze. The northeast and west coast have cooler water temps than the caribbean, so I may consider an aft on the Star next February when we are visiting our grandsons in LA. Anyone else tried an aft from LA to Alcapulco? I'd appreciate any input.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Hi Mary,

We had an aft BA on our April 2005 Mexican Riviera cruise on the STAR and loved it. We really love the AFT cabins, and preferred that balcony to the port side AB balcony we had for our Feb. 2006 cruise on the STAR.

Margaret

Grafton, MA

We were on teh Star from Jan 28- Feb 5th we were on teh revised Itinerary, but the Aft Cabin was lovely! We only went as far as Manzanillo! But it was very nice to be at the back I went to a few different cabins around the ship, and I noticed that they did not have full acess to there balony due to wind and what not! I sat out many nights on the deck reading and watching the waves go by! I would strongly suggest trying for a BA 10230 or 10730 the balconies are the largest of the BA categories! Good luck, you will love the Cabin!

WooHoo! I will be in 10230 going to Alaska in May/June! Did not even know about the bigger Balcony. Thanks! Nilla

WooHoo! I will be in 10230 going to Alaska in May/June! Did not even know about the bigger Balcony. Thanks! Nilla

Star 10230 has a balcony that is almost twice the size of the other BA categories.

Convertible Single Sofa Bed (1)

Balcony Square Footage (96)

Cabin Square Footage (166)

Oceanview Stateroom

Sitting Area

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Private Balcony (1)

Convertible Lower Beds (2)

Shower (1)

Aft Section

Starboard Side

Crib (1)

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Pier aft

Sprinklers

Oh tlight you will enjoy this cabin very much! Your balcony had a loung chair on it! The lady was very lucky ours just had regular chairs but they were nice enough! So hope the lounger is still there!

Archived