Experienced Walkie Talkie users...

Kissara22

Hiya Everyone,

We're leaving in a couple of weeks for our first cruise with the kids, 19, 16, 9, and 7. We're curious about which brand of walkie talkies work best that are the most cost efficient. Any preferences or experiences with mileage range and brands would be appreciated information and very helpful. Thanks so much :)

Motorola Talkabouts have worked fine for us. Get the rechargable kind with at least a 3 mile range. You will find "dead" spots but not many. We have used ours for years, especially when we cruise with our teen aged grandson.

Make sure you all use them with your fellow passengers in mind. Constant babble from a walkie talkie is really annoying. Keep your messages brief.

The Motorola ones are hard to beat. The models in the 6000 series are all 5 mile range or longer, have a drop in charger and have a vibrate feature.

We've used them on 6 cruises in the past three years, and have great results on them. They must be FMRS and GMRS channel models, and have the codes as well. We use a higher channel and sub channel, and have changed channels a couple of times.

Our most recent cruise ended Thursday, and we left one in our daughters room with her friend across the hall. We liked the ability for them to contact us instantly if they wished, and used them to make sure they were up for shore excursions, ready for dinner, etc.

We also carried them in Costa Maya, and used them to keep track of where we were. I have walked back to the ship and maintained contact with my family on the pier areas of Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Some might flame about the noise, but I've seen few abuse them, and most are just kids having fun. I am bugged more with the constant bingo, hairy leg, belly flop contest and being asked about purchasing a daily drink special.

Hope this helps!

Lee

We use Motorola T7100s, which are rated at 7 miles. They are somewhat bigger than the small 3 and 5 mile types but can cut thru 6 deck levels on the ship so one of us can go the the guest relations desk on 4 or 5 and talk to the other back in the cabin on 9 or 10 and be understood.

We also carried them in Costa Maya, and used them to keep track of where we were. I have walked back to the ship and maintained contact with my family on the pier areas of Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Some might flame about the noise, but I've seen few abuse them, and most are just kids having fun. I am bugged more with the constant bingo, hairy leg, belly flop contest and being asked about purchasing a daily drink special.

Lee

No flames about noise, I don't think that'd be a problem unless I was next to you for two hours by the pool and you talked constantly. So that isn't a problem. I will say that laws are different in different countries concerning use of the radio spectrum. I don't know the specific laws but would do some checking to make sure that you aren't breaking the law before you go broadcasting in Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean on a US frequency walkie talkie, especially some of the higher power ones. A lot of people don't realize you need a license in the US to use the GMRS freqs.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=95&SECTION=3&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT

Above is a link to the text version where it says you need a license to transmit on GMRS. Here's a better link, that even says you can only operate the FRS radio in the 50 US states, DC and the Caribbean. It also says that to be operated without a license, it's limited to 1/2 watt and an integral antenna. Didn't know that until I just read it.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=family

The link below says that if you're going to operate a dual band FRS/GMRS radio that exceeds 1/2 watt, you have to have a license, and the fee for the license is $80.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

I would not operate a FRS radio in Mexico without verifying that it isn't breaking any laws. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

If you're going to spend the bread anyway, check out this link, scroll down to the Rino radio/gps combo units. You can buy a two pack Rino 120 that can transmit your position to the other radio over the FRS bands, that way you can instantly plot the course to the other radio, useful for camping and such, not so handy on the ship, but it's way cool if you're a tech freak like me.

http://www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html#handheld

Wraithe,

Thanks so much, ..I didn't consider the laws of use in Mexico. We just wanted them for the ship and figured they'd could be useful later at theme parks, the mall at christmas time, etc. We all plan on being together while in port anyway so no need for using them.

I'm thinking about buying them from radio shack, ...we're just looking for something that's the best quality for the money. A walkie talkie that won't turn me into Mr. Hyde shall one of the kids break one or lose one.:D

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago and used the Cobra walkie talkies. We purchased them from WalMart. We got the higher range, I think it was 9-10 miles and 22 channels. They worked fine, but if I had it to do over again, I would not have bothered. The kids used them the first 2 days and after that they were left turned off in our room. Once they got comfortable with the ship and finding us at our usual spots, they didn't feel the need to carry them. We had to frequently change channels because so many people on board were using them. The walkie talkies themselves worked great though. I think they were $59.99.

The info here has been a great help. Does anyone know if it is okay to use walkie talkies on board ship in the Mediterreanean?

My guess, and that's all it is, based on pirate radio ships that anchor offshore to broadcast, I don't believe that you would have any problems in international waters. As long as you're beyong the 3 mile limits of any nation's territorial water, it wouldn't be a problem. Now, the frequencies that FRS/GMRS radios use are used by police and emergency services in Europe, so I would be very careful to keep it turned off if close to land.

Kissara22, in your case, I would go for the 1 mile or less FRS only units, very inexpensive and meet all requirements to use without any license.

Motorola Talkabouts have worked fine for us. Get the rechargable kind with at least a 3 mile range. You will find "dead" spots but not many. We have used ours for years, especially when we cruise with our teen aged grandson.

Make sure you all use them with your fellow passengers in mind. Constant babble from a walkie talkie is really annoying. Keep your messages brief.

I agree Motorola is the best. Thank you for saying to be curtious. Some many people have no manners (consideration for others) when they use cell phones or walkies.

These posts can confuse you, and we've had zero problems using them in ports around the carribean. Walkie-talkie police don't exist...

Now, I am not an expert, as wraite would say, and his credentials serving our country in the armed forces and communication skills and knowledge he has might make me a fool, I respect his service to the USA and his opinion. If I had a walkie-talkie next to him at a cruise ship bar it wouldn't chirp... might cost me a pop on the head!

While in Cozumel and Costa Maya last week the shops were using Motorola FMRS and GMRS radios for their own use. The ones they had were the low priced personal use ones like the rest of us carry, not a commercial model.

GMRS and FMRS frequencies are a narrow band, and you will not interfere with civil or law enforcement communications. The radios operate in the 462 and 467 MHz range, and the radios are sold abroad as well with the same channels. The gift shop aboard the Splendour sold radios with both frequencies. We carried the one mile range on our first cruise, came home and gave them away. Worthless beyond communication on the same deck. The 5 milers or better are the way to go. Consider that range is on open land, free of interference.

I would send in the registration and permit fees, and I think they are good for 4 years. Ours is filed away, so I am not sure.

Also, if they were not allowed on ships is would be displayed and discussed on official company websites.

I can share that the Garmin 120, 130 and others with GPS are nifty, but in the hands of a young kid, and left on deck somewhere that would be an expensive loss.

The Radio Shack option is a good one, and they sell Motorola and other brands that display their own name.

Walkie Talkies are a hot topic, some hate them, but if you talk to your kids about using them wisely you'd be fine. We carried one when our daughter was younger all the time aboard the ship, and we could feel the vibrate in our pocket and answer her call. This allowed her some freedoms we might not have done without them.

In our backpack before we step off the ship for any excursion you will find the walkie-talkies, a good first aid kit, sunscreen and copies of our birth certificates along with a credit card. I cannot imagine being left in a port with just my Sea Pass Card!

With the coming of age of cellular comminication the walkie talkie question will soon be a thing of the past, as international calling and the features that brings are in the future.

These posts can confuse you, and we've had zero problems using them in ports around the carribean. Walkie-talkie police don't exist...

No disrespect intended, but this just isn't true, the FCC busts people quite frequently for illegal and unlicensed use of radios. They are the "walkie-talkie police" and have counterparts in every country.

Now, I am not an expert, as wraithe would say. If I had a walkie-talkie next to him at a cruise ship bar it wouldn't chirp... might cost me a pop on the head!

I'm not an expert, I'm a hobbyist, but I do have experience, and the OP was asking for advice. No worries mate, you use your radio anyway you want, it's not going to bother me, especially onboard ship, since outside of 3 miles, you're in international waters, and few regulations exist. I'm just a retired Chief Electronics Tech that specialized in nuclear power in the Navy, radio communications is a hobby, my call sign is Wraithe KD4DYR.

While in Cozumel and Costa Maya last week the shops were using Motorola FRS and GMRS radios for their own use. The ones they had were the low priced personal use ones like the rest of us carry, not a commercial model.

The fact that authorities allow their own folks to do something, doesn't mean they'll allow the same from foreigners. How many times have you seen a speed trap in the States where only cars from out of state get stopped?

GMRS and FMRS frequencies are a narrow band, and you will not interfere with civil or law enforcement communications.

I'm shaking my head, I just don't understand how you can make such a blanket statement.

Also, if they were not allowed on ships is would be displayed and discussed on official company websites.

I agree, they are allowed onboard ship, never suggested they weren't.

In our backpack before we step off the ship for any excursion you will find the walkie-talkies, a good first aid kit, sunscreen and copies of our birth certificates along with a credit card. I cannot imagine being left in a port with just my Sea Pass Card!

I couldn't imagine being ashore in a foreign country without my passport, but that's the difference in people. If you're willing to live with the consequences of your actions, carry on smartly. I was giving advice based on the law, and on my experiences. You gave advice based on your experiences, now other folks have to decide what they're willing to do. I agree with you that it's only a short matter of time until international cell phones make this a moot point. Until then, I will respect the laws of whatever country I'm in, and if I can't be sure that what I'm doing is legal, I won't assume that it is. JMHO, and if you've never noticed, sailors are very humble! :rolleyes:

I found a really good post in a thread about using walkie-talkies in the Med. I copied the attachment to Notepad, so most everyone should be able to read it. Credit goes to heatherzd for the information.

european radio.txt

The info in the post is for use of walkie-talkies in Europe. Just good information, and you never get enough of that.

I know nothing about these radios, so bear with me:

1. Do these work through the ship walls very well? (i.e., if I'm up on the top deck can I be contacted from our stateroom?)

2. When they are on but not used (waiting to be contacted) do they make noise. Will I hear everyone trying to talk to each other, or a bunch of static, - and there fore disturbing me and those around me?

The only reason I'm thinking about these is for my wife to be able to contact me from stateroom while I'm exercising (walking on deck or in gym). So she can let me know she is up (early morning) or if she needs me for anything. But I don't want to listen to chatter or noise while I have it standing by for her signal.

What model or type is best for this limited use?

1. Do these work through the ship walls very well? (i.e., if I'm up on the top deck can I be contacted from our stateroom?)

2. When they are on but not used (waiting to be contacted) do they make noise. Will I hear everyone trying to talk to each other, or a bunch of static, - and there fore disturbing me and those around me?

1) It depends on a number of factors, primarily how much power your radio puts out, the more the better (if it says 10 miles that's better than 1 mile for instance). It also depends on how many decks it has to penetrate. If you're fairly close, it should work, if you're 4 decks away, probably not, even with the high power radios.

2) Most of the newer ones have built in squelch, so unless you have a good signal, it won't "break" squelch and produce any sound, so no static. Noise on the other hand, if you're not using a earpiece, every time someone broadcasts on your channel, and even worse is the call button, it's going to produce a sound. Like I said, the call button is the worst, kids love to play with it since it sounds like a ringing phone. You can imagine how annoying that can be to people trying to relax.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments Wraithe

Not sure if this will work for me. I don't really want to be disturbed, nor disturb those around me. All I'd like is a way for my wife to let me know she's up and ready for coffee if I happen to wake up early, and want to do some exercise before she wakes up.

But I don't want to carry something around which will make "false" noises that will disturb me or others around me while I'm exercising.

Any other suggestions, or opinions?

Thanks for the comments Wraithe

Not sure if this will work for me. I don't really want to be disturbed, nor disturb those around me. All I'd like is a way for my wife to let me know she's up and ready for coffee if I happen to wake up early, and want to do some exercise before she wakes up.

But I don't want to carry something around which will make "false" noises that will disturb me or others around me while I'm exercising.

Any other suggestions, or opinions?

Worst case scenario, buy a pair, and if they don't do what you want them to, then give them to your kids, grandkids, nephews, or somebody who might be able to get a little use out of them. They may work perfectly for what you want to do. Good luck with it, I know that on Grandeur there was a phone in the gym, I used it to call my stateroom a couple times, I'm sure that your wife could get the number if they have them on whatever ship you're on, and call you on that if worst came to worst.

Hi I saw your post to another poster. I have a question...where were you when you used these walkie talkies? We are going to st thomas and st martin and puerto rico and am wondering if they are 'allowed' by the local authorities. In otherwords, will I be using their emergency or police bands or what?

thanks

The Motorola ones are hard to beat. The models in the 6000 series are all 5 mile range or longer, have a drop in charger and have a vibrate feature.

We've used them on 6 cruises in the past three years, and have great results on them. They must be FMRS and GMRS channel models, and have the codes as well. We use a higher channel and sub channel, and have changed channels a couple of times.

Our most recent cruise ended Thursday, and we left one in our daughters room with her friend across the hall. We liked the ability for them to contact us instantly if they wished, and used them to make sure they were up for shore excursions, ready for dinner, etc.

Hope this helps!

Lee

I have a question...where were you when you used these walkie talkies?

We've used the Motorola Walkie Talkies in Mexico, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We've sent them with people that traveled to Nassau, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico.

We did purchase the permit from the FCC online for the radios, it's $80.00 bucks for 5 years, and it took about ten minutes to get the entire process done.

The difference between FMRS and GMRS is wattage for the radios and subcodes. The FCC opened the narrow bands of frequencies to consumers several years ago, and the market became flooded quickly with users.

The original 10 channels were subdivided with 38 sub coded channels, and the spectrum didn't grow that GMRS uses. GMRS radios are sold around the world, and the frequencies are the same. I visited the UK Yahoo links and the radios were the same model, band use and description.

I seriously doubt you'd ever have a problem with interference using walkie-talkies, but as my wife would tell you. I've been wrong before.

I can share that the original 10 channel models are sold today, and the prices are less than 30 bucks a pair.

We like the Motorolas that hold the three AAA rechargable battery pack. This allows us to carry spare batteries in my backpack if the rechargable pack dies during the day while in port.

The number one gripe is abuse of the convenience while aboard ship, and playing with them versus limited use. I see both sides, and agree with the conservative use of them. We wouldn't think of being without them on a cruise. We carry a pair in the car as well for travel with another vehicle.

Finally, some of the newer models claim 12 mile range. At 462MHz and with a max of 5 watts of transmit power I doubt that is possible. I can share that for all but the largest of cruise ships the GMRS models from a good family of manufacture would be a great investment.

I use them when working on stuff that requires breakers to be turned off, while looking for stuff in the attic and when we walk the dog at night.

Whatever you do, and whoever you trust from these boards remember that you get what you pay for in quality of communication device.

Have a great cruise.

Archived