Ports of Spain and Italy

I am stopping at the following ports on my cruise and I was wondering I can walk to the cities that my boat has docked. 

Mallorca (Palma)

Sicily (Palermo)

Salerno (Italy)

I am trying to avoid paying for ships excursions but from the description on Cruises web site shows that these cities are not close to the port and transport is needed.

(Looks like you have some answers for Palermo on our Italy port. board!)

A lot of cruisers avoid taking ship excursions either because they can find equally good tours that cost less, or because there isn't anything available that suits their particular interest: it happens.

The good news is that there are established and reliable tour operators in each port that have been exhaustively review on these boards, and there are other cruisers who enjoy a DIY experience while in port. Only you know which option works best for you.

What's most important at this point is taking a look in each location and deciding what's most appealing to you and then determining whether or not you feel you'd like a guide, or you'll be making your own plans. 

Here is a link to a thread dedicated exclusively to Palma. I did a search for posts with the word Salerno in it on our Italy board, here are the results. 

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary. 😎

There's a very helpful Mallorca "sticky" at the top of the list.

I always stay in the north of the island but think the cruise port is about a 45 stroll to the Cathedral (or you'd be able to take a taxi for the short ride). Lovely small city - very walkable. I may be back on the island for a couple of weeks in the autumn if things go well.

Palma Majorca info can be found on this useful link which is where all your questions about Palma may have been already answered  and if not, rogerb is usually able to answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697012-palma-de-mallorca-diy-new/page/15/#comment-65301028

In Palermo, we walked to our first sight in the historic area, Four Corners.

It is easy to read past threads and posts for info. using the search tool.

Got o the  general Italy Ports Forum but  not to an individual thread,input the word Palermo into the empty search box under your username, hit the litle spy glass and these past threads will appear ready for you to read. Then try with the word Salerno.

Starting you off with this Palermo thread which you should find useful to read. Initially it doesn't start that way but stick with it: There are others, use the method described to find them.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2923792-palermo-easy-to-get-around-without-a-tour-booked/#comment-65021651

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

IT  is a useful thread covering popular questions and answers  which is always in the same location and does not move onto different pages as new threads are added..

You will find them on other forums too,eg  if you look at the top of the Italy Ports Forum, (Rome)also the Greek ports forum(Santorini) and others.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1