First Time Cruising after becoming Disabled.

I have just returned from a weeks cruise on the P&O Iona since becoming Disabled and could write a long story about my experience but won't bore you with all the facts which i will let P&O know but simply if you travel as a Solo Passenger and have any type of Mobility Problem DO NOT go on the IONA. I was offered help bu staff a total of 6 times on a weeks cruise but helped by numerous passengers who offered me help, they could see i required help but the staff just didn't care. I have only ever travelled with P&O and would have recommended them but after this first time travelling after having a leg amputated and now using a Rollator and seeing the lack of help from staff i would NOT recommend them unless they change there ways. I have another cruise booked on the Britannia in a few weeks and if the service is as bad as it was on Iona i will never book another P&O Cruise again. 

Funny how all those Passengers could see i needed help and did just that but the staff seemed to be oblivious to someone using a Rollator would need any help.

0 out of 10 for customer service if you are a Solo Passenger with a Mobility Problem.

10 out of 10 for so many Kind Honest Decent Passengers who will help you when they see the staff Do Not Bother to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I have just returned from a weeks cruise on the P&O Iona since becoming Disabled and could write a long story about my experience but won't bore you with all the facts which i will let P&O know but simply if you travel as a Solo Passenger and have any type of Mobility Problem DO NOT go on the IONA. I was offered help bu staff a total of 6 times on a weeks cruise but helped by numerous passengers who offered me help, they could see i required help but the staff just didn't care. I have only ever travelled with P&O and would have recommended them but after this first time travelling after having a leg amputated and now using a Rollator and seeing the lack of help from staff i would NOT recommend them unless they change there ways. I have another cruise booked on the Britannia in a few weeks and if the service is as bad as it was on Iona i will never book another P&O Cruise again. 

Funny how all those Passengers could see i needed help and did just that but the staff seemed to be oblivious to someone using a Rollator would need any help.

0 out of 10 for customer service if you are a Solo Passenger with a Mobility Problem.

10 out of 10 for so many Kind Honest Decent Passengers who will help you when they see the staff Do Not Bother to.

I'm sorry you had to experience that from the staff. Very unfortunate. But thank heavens there are good people in the world. Gives us hope!

• Like 3

When we booked our first accessible cabin, the paperwork made it clear that my wife must have a helper and that the staff on the ship could not be expected to provide that help.

In practice, we found that well-meaning fellow passengers were a bit of a pain as they don't know what was needed and usually just get in the way. Staff on the ship were great within their limitations. Restaurant staff happily moved chairs around and the gangway team pitched in to help when the high tide made it rather steep.

I too have stories about the difficulties we have faced, but I accept that most people have no experience of these situations and while I admire your courage in cruising alone with such a disability, I think that you should consider looking for an able-bodies friend to accompany you in future. It does make things so much easier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob++ said:

When we booked our first accessible cabin, the paperwork made it clear that my wife must have a helper and that the staff on the ship could not be expected to provide that help.

In practice, we found that well-meaning fellow passengers were a bit of a pain as they don't know what was needed and usually just get in the way. Staff on the ship were great within their limitations. Restaurant staff happily moved chairs around and the gangway team pitched in to help when the high tide made it rather steep.

I too have stories about the difficulties we have faced, but I accept that most people have no experience of these situations and while I admire your courage in cruising alone with such a disability, I think that you should consider looking for an able-bodies friend to accompany you in future. It does make things so much easier.

I can see where your coming from but nobody can put up with me that long on 'closed' environment like a cruise 🙂 No the Consultant at the hospital after my op described me as having i fantastic determination to do things for myself which is true , there was many times Passengers asked if i would like help and u replied thanks but i'm a stubborn old sod who likes to do things for myself but there is times where i could do with some help but when it came to staff offering help it was basically non existent.

I mean anywhere you see someone with any kind of mobility problem struggling you offer to help them as all those Passengers that helped me did and most of those offers were straight after they seen staff not offering any.

I have have always said even before i became Disabled i know the difference between 'giving' good service and 'saying' you give good service.

Many people i spoke to who had cruised with other companies said i should try this or that one as passengers in general are given better service than they have had on the Iona, so i was going to not bother going on the cruise i have paid for on Britannia in June, but decided i will hire a wheelchair t help me get about easier but if the staff attitude or should that be lack of it is the same on Britannia i will never cruise with P&O again and take some of that advice by others to use another company which they have cruised with.

I don't want staff to run about after me just because i have a Disability just common courtesy  would be welcome.

12 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I'm sorry you had to experience that from the staff. Very unfortunate. But thank heavens there are good people in the world. Gives us hope!

So So true if there had been no staff there it would not have made a difference  to my holiday but if there had been no Passengers to offer me help like many did it would have been a total Disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I can see where your coming from but nobody can put up with me that long on 'closed' environment like a cruise 🙂 No the Consultant at the hospital after my op described me as having i fantastic determination to do things for myself which is true , there was many times Passengers asked if i would like help and u replied thanks but i'm a stubborn old sod who likes to do things for myself but there is times where i could do with some help but when it came to staff offering help it was basically non existent.

I mean anywhere you see someone with any kind of mobility problem struggling you offer to help them as all those Passengers that helped me did and most of those offers were straight after they seen staff not offering any.

I have have always said even before i became Disabled i know the difference between 'giving' good service and 'saying' you give good service.

Many people i spoke to who had cruised with other companies said i should try this or that one as passengers in general are given better service than they have had on the Iona, so i was going to not bother going on the cruise i have paid for on Britannia in June, but decided i will hire a wheelchair t help me get about easier but if the staff attitude or should that be lack of it is the same on Britannia i will never cruise with P&O again and take some of that advice by others to use another company which they have cruised with.

I don't want staff to run about after me just because i have a Disability just common courtesy  would be welcome.

I agree. And I'm so glad you're still going on your next cruise. Good for you, you're an encouragement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate to say this, but you being first time disabled, you just learned a very valuable lesson.  When you travel, you must either be independant or travel with a person that will be around to help.  Most companies, do not allow their employees to help disabled persons simply because of a liability.  Usually only help you will ever receive on any cruise line is on the ramp and even that is limited.  

Yes, strangers often times will ask if help is needed, but the seldom do they know how to help.  

I don't know what you were expecting, but the sooner you accept you will not get help, the happier your trips will be.  This is coming from someone helping my wife for decades and have traveled around the world.  

• Like 3

As far as ship’s services, the only things I expect as a full-time wheelchair user with very limited arm an leg movement without asking too hard is help on the gangway to prevent my chair from tipping, to move a chair out of the way in a restaurant, to hand me the menu instead of putting it on the table, and to hand me the beverage (or allow be to take it from their tray) on initial delivery from the bar.

Often, staff will volunteer to carry a plate for me, though I don’t need it (I’ve never dropped a plate). Once, a specialty restaurant host noticed I was struggling with my meal because it required a bunch of cutting and, unbeknownst to me, asked the kitchen to remake the plate but cut the meal into much smaller pieces before presentation.

My wife and I both struggle with overly full glasses. we often order martinis and other beverages is a highball or other non-traditional glass, and briefly explain why . We usually get a peculiar look from the waiter, but once they see us handle our classes they understand why. We try to use the same waiters and bar staff over the course of our cruise to minimize reexplaining.

• Like 2

On airlines and ships it has always been made clear to me that a helper ( caregiver) is required if the person needs one. Staff are not caregivers. 
That said they most certainly can hold the door for you, carry your plate, help you carry something to your table / chair . They just cannot help with your body , for fear of harm to either of you. 

On 5/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, Bob++ said:

I was in a Partially Accessible Cabin and fill in the same medical questionnaire as your wife and nowhere have i seen that you must a career with me though this may be down to P&O saying this due to your wife's condition. As for expecting help from staff it was common sense if you seen a disabled person struggling to carry something, would you offer them some help or ignore them.?

While they did not state that you must be accompanied by a carer, they do state that the staff and crew on the ship should not be expected to assist.

We are now fairly experienced at travelling with a wheelchair and would never expect strangers to help. We ask airlines and rail companies for help and gratefully accept it. When boarding and leaving a ship we do sometimes need help if the gangway is steep. When it comes to casual passers-by, we prefer them to stay clear as their well-meaning efforts can often make things worse. 

The key to travelling with a wheelchair is planning and research. One also has to accept the restrictions that come with the territory. 

There is a difference between occasionally providing a small amount of assistance that does not involve bodily contact or hygrine, such as moving a chair, carrying a tray from a serving line to a nearby table, preventing a fall at the gangway), ir holding a door open and providing full/time wheelchair assistance, assistance eating, help with hygiene issues, providing assistance with bathing, etc.). The former may be reasonable to hope for; the latter is out-of-bounds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FOPMan said:

There is a difference between occasionally providing a small amount of assistance that does not involve bodily contact or hygrine, such as moving a chair, carrying a tray from a serving line to a nearby table, preventing a fall at the gangway), ir holding a door open and providing full/time wheelchair assistance, assistance eating, help with hygiene issues, providing assistance with bathing, etc.). The former may be reasonable to hope for; the latter is out-of-bounds.

That is exactly what i was looking for ONLY help in carrying things like drinks plates of food no physical help but even that simple help was not offered by staff, it's common sense/manners if you see someone struggling to carry something anywhere disabled or not do you offer them help or ignore them and let them struggle.?, i know what i did many times before having my leg amputated and not just when doing my voluntary work for years with people with different mobility issues but wherever.

To me it's just manners helping other's when you can see they could do with some, yes there is people that do not want to be helped when offered there is times when people have offered me help when i preferred to do something for myself but always answered 'thank you for the offer but i'm a stubborn sod and like to do as much for myself f as i can' or thank you but i have a little routine for doing this'. 

To me again it all comes down to manners if you see someone struggling with no matter what do you offer help or ignore them and leave them to struggle.?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 2:10 AM, Cpt Pugwash said:

Royal Caribbean is great with the disabled.  You should consider investing in a foldable electric wheelchair.  I can’t walk very far without excruciating pain.  If I didn’t have my electric wheelchair, I wouldn’t be able to go shopping or cruise and never get out of the house. Yes, they are expensive, but the cost is comparable to the cost of hearing aids.

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:18 PM, shadow 123 said:

I agree, thank god there are good people in the world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My last cruises were on NCL and Celebrity.  On both ships, staff would frequently offer help in the buffet; carrying dishes, reaching things for me, getting drinks.  If that's not your experience on P&O then you are correct in looking for other cruise lines.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I will be cruising on the Celebrity Reflection this March for the first time since having my leg amputated above the knee.  I’ve reserved an electric wheelchair from scootaround.com as seems easier than a scooter to manage, easier to use in restaurants, bars, etc. I’m treating my able-bodied neighbor to her first cruise so I’ll have someone with me if I need help, and I booked an accessible ocean-view cabin. How else should I prepare for the cruise?