I need camera advice!

auntrenae

:confused: Hey everybody,

This is our first Alaska cruise, and, from the pictures I've seen, there's a lot of good reasons to bring a good camera! My question is this: Given that I have a good Canon digital camera with a 5mp ability and 4x optical zoom, do I need an add-on telephoto lens to get good whale, bear, and other wildlife pictures? Do I need a polarizing filter? I've already figured out that I'll need extra memory, so it's just these 2 questions now. Any opinions are most welcome!!!

auntrenae

I have a digital canon rebel, yes you will want to bring an add on telephoto lens, i have a apolarizing lens but i never used it for wild life, just for sunsets, make sure if you are looking to take pictures of whales or wild life while the ship is moving to keep your setting on "action" so you will have no possibility of a blurred picture, i am from Alaska (moved to California a few years ago) so i have many pictures that i have taken with the camera. watch the tree tops for eagles, they will come soaring down to catch the fish in the water, it makes a great action shot. I have even gotten a few decent shots of the northern lights with the flash off. There are some many picture opportunities, you may want to think about a 1GB just in case. FYI if you take a trip out to one of the glaciers use you telephoto lens and look to the tops of the mountain, you may see some mountain goats, they are white like the snow so you can not see them with the naked eye, but my 75-300 lens will get a picture of them. there is so much more i can say but i feel like i am blabbering on, so have a great trip.

So much for the info! This camera is pretty advanced for me and I'm working hard to get used to all the settings before we go. I have one more question for you. If you're on a whale watching boat, is there a problem with the camera getting wet? If so, what do you do to minimize the risk?

I love your hint about looking up for eagles coming down to fish, that will be a big help!

thanks again,

auntrenae

I have never had a problem with the camera getting wet while on the boat, the problem may be rain or a heavy mist that can get your camera wet, I just try to keep it covered as much as possible, I usually keep it tucked under my jacket until i can get a shot, some of the whale watching boats do have a cover or canopy above so that always helps.

I think they make a waterproof case for it but it is very expensive and you can't use an add on lens, just took the camera to a Dominica rainforest and yes it was raining and the camera did quite well being as wet as it was outside.

You sure have good information, thanks for sharing! My camera is a Canon Power Shot, not a rebel, so I'm not too sure about the differences, but at least we know it's Canon quality. I'm going to go out tomorrow to look at some different telephoto lenses for it, and a polarizing filter. Wish me luck!

auntrenae

Archived