Late check in at NYC terminal - times enforced?

My May 14th cruise on the Joy from NYC to Bermuda has check in times beginning at 4 p.m. and going through 9 p.m. I was lucky enough to score 4 p.m. for me and my party of three, but I have heard that they can be lax sometimes about enforcing it. I have the day carefully scheduled to minimize a lot of effort on the part of my dad, who has some mobility and stamina issues, and I worry that it could be a mob scene there at 4 p.m. I received this notification today from NCL, and I am encouraged that they say the times will be strictly enforced, but I'm wondering if this is the same letter that they send for every boarding or not.

image.jpeg

the key thing they are asking here is for guests not to arrive before 4 PM. and that's because the prima is leaving from the same pier (but not the same berth) at approximately 4 PM that same day. many of the contracted employees handling the prima embarkation will also be handling the joy embarkation. NCL will also likely need some of the same guest waiting areas, so on that unique day, there is a real chance of chaos and overcrowding and mixing up luggage given to porters if guests sailing on the joy arrive before 4 PM. that's why you have check-in starting at 4 PM and sail away at, presumably, 11... if your last check-in time is 9 PM.

if your real question is "can i arrive anytime up until 9 PM to avoid crowds?" ...my take is: yes. the system works more efficiently when everybody arrives at their designated time, but enforcement of check-in time is indeed lax. and people often show up before their scheduled time, which does add to overcrowding. and it is generally the most crowded when check-in first opens.

but my take is that you already have the earliest check-in time. so nobody will look twice if you show up at any time before 9 PM. plus, you have a serious mobility issue to contend with, which trumps everything. not sure of the nature of your dad's issue, but, if i recall, there is a handicapped lane that can be used by those who qualify. (i don't know much more about this, but i've seen folks in wheel chairs glide by while others were waiting in line.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UKstages said:

not sure of the nature of your dad's issue, but, if i recall, there is a handicapped lane that can be used by those who qualify. (i don't know much more about this, but i've seen folks in wheel chairs glide by while others were waiting in line.)

I believe that this is true. But, be aware, they have a (very reasonable) policy that only one non-impaired person can join the impaired person in that special line.  At least that's how I've seen it in the past.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your insight. Once again this board has really helped with my planning. 

Here's the plan so far: We will be taking the train down Sunday afternoon. I have a reservation at a restaurant a short distance from the pier, so we will taxi there and enjoy some food and drinks before heading to the pier at 4 p.m. and hope for the best.

I have been in touch with the Access Desk and they were wonderful. My dad is signed up for wheelchair embarkation/disembarkation (and a salt-free diet, though tracking his sodium intake has become a kind of hobby for him😁). He has a heart condition and neuropathy in his feet, so while he can shuffle around short distances, he usually has to make multiple stops to rest. And some days are better than others. I have already printed out the deck plans and mapped the various places we can hang out and take a break on our wanderings throughout the ship. For this reason, my sister has nominated me to be the one to accompany him during his accessible boarding.

Anyway, I'll try to write about how the trip went when we come back in case anyone else is facing the same logistics in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1