FLAMINGO’S in BONAIRE

iluv2go

This will be my 1st visit to Bonaire.  I am totally in love with FLAMINGOS ❤️!

We arrive at 6am & the cruise departs at 1pm.  Is there somewhere we can go to see these beautiful creatures? 🦩. Since our time on the island is so short, we figured a taxi would be best as we wouldn’t get lost driving ourselves.  Other than the FLAMINGOS, we would pick up a few souvenirs for the grandchildren & probably head back on the ship.  Is there any great purchases we must look out for in BONAIRE? I’m assuming they will have lots of FLAMINGO T-shirts!

Thank in advance for your input!

V.

Edited by iluv2go

I just came to this forum looking for excursion ideas and seeing some wild flamingoes sounds cool 😎 

Someone posted they book a Twizzy Tour by Roadrunner Bonaire to see the wild flamingoes. I am going to check it out myself.

I was in Bonaire last month.  I saw wild flamingos, but not up close.  I was on a bus tour and then went to the Oasis Beach Club.  I don't know of any place where you can see them up close.  They seemed to be pretty far out.

I walked around in Bonaire near the port.  I did see a flamingo mural (it was okay, but not as good as what my grandmother did).  Didn't really see a lot of flamingo souvenirs.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  I bought a mobile, a magnet, stuff like that.

There are apparently 20,000 wild flamingos in Bonaire.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, iluv2go said:

This will be my 1st visit to Bonaire.  I am totally in love with FLAMINGOS ❤️!

We arrive at 6am & the cruise departs at 1pm.  Is there somewhere we can go to see theAse

V.

Just spent 5 days in Bonaire.  We saw tons of flamingos on the southern tip of the island near the lighthouse.  They were off in the distance.  We have also seen them around the northern end of the island and another area by Lac Bay on a previous stay.   There are lots of flamingo souvenirs.   Ask a local to point you in the direction of Gio's ice cream.  Along this street is where I saw flamingo themed things in many of the shops.  It is the second or 3rd street back from the waterfront and to the left of the ship, facing land

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, moposh said:

@iluv2go is your ship going to Aruba?  DePalm Island has flamingos that you can see up close.

Yes, we will be in Aruba 10am to 10pm on Dec 2nd.  First priority is Flamingos, then a nice beach with free chairs & service (or inexpensive beach) followed by a little shopping.  
Do you take a tour to DePalm!

On 5/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, topspot said:

Just spent 5 days in Bonaire.  We saw tons of flamingos on the southern tip of the island near the lighthouse.  They were off in the distance.  We have also seen them around the northern end of the island and another area by Lac Bay on a previous stay.   There are lots of flamingo souvenirs.   Ask a local to point you in the direction of Gio's ice cream.  Along this street is where I saw flamingo themed things in many of the shops.  It is the second or 3rd street back from the waterfront and to the left of the ship, facing land

Thank you for the info!  We’re only in Bonaire for a short time (6am-1pm).  Did you take a taxi there?

13 minutes ago, iluv2go said:

Do you take a tour to DePalm!

Yes, I did an excursion to DePalm.  It was very nice.  DePalm has flamingos.  We did the Helmet Sea Tour.  DePalm has beach, pool, water slides, food (included), turtles, snorkeling.

Edited by moposh

9 minutes ago, iluv2go said:

Thank you for the info!  We’re only in Bonaire for a short time (6am-1pm).  Did you take a taxi there?

No we had a rental car for the days we were there

17 minutes ago, topspot said:

No we had a rental car for the days we were there

Can we rent golf carts on the island? I’ve driven all over Aruba & it was really easy to navigate; how is Bonaire as far as driving? How are the beaches?