Seriously thinking about the West Coast

Catrin

Hi there everyone...

2 weeks ago we were in Cozumel.. but tonight we have been browsing the sites and thinking of trying a Mexican Riveria Cruise!

So.. the questions start....

1) Has anyone done a cruise out of Long beach and Miami? Can you compare the two?

2) Is the west coast clientele different than the east coast?

3) How are the ports?

.... in case you are wondering.. the flights from RI to LAX were SO cheap! Only about 100.00 more a person compared to RI to Miami.

Thank you for any info!

Cathy

dolphin.gif

Ecstacy October 1992

Destiny October 1999

TRIUMPH May2003

Our TRIUMPHant Return! May 15th

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917

Hi Cathy, We're east coasters too, like you. A few years ago we flew to LAX and took a Royal Caribbean Cruise down the riviera to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, & Cabo San Lucas. You will LOVE it!!!! We've been through the canal a few times and if you can do the same, you'll enjoy that too. On another trip (Princess) our ports also included Acapulco, & into the sea behind the peninsula to Costa Rica. The ports on the Mexican Riviera are mostly gorgeous beaches, and big towns with lots of bargains. No poverty in those ports unless you get to the other side of Costa Rica (on the gulf of mexico side) or the San Blas Islands around Belize and all. Then you hit LOTS of poor areas and flies on the food, etc. icon_eek.gif As far as the clientele, I don't know what you mean, but if you mean passengers, it's always a fun group no matter where the ship is sailing to. We met some fun loving people on those ships. Sounds like GREAT prices on the airfare! Wishing you a GREAT time!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Celebrating 30th cruise soon....

[This message was edited by sea-cruise on 05-31-04 at 10:24 PM.]

Just got off the PRIDE doing the Mexican Riviera a month ago. You'll love the PRIDE.

Have done the Mexican Riviera 9 times now. When I can't cruise there I fly there. I love it because I live 45 minutes from the port so no airfare.

For a bang up explanation of this cruise, read marklodi's review of the PRIDE and the MexRiv. An excellent writer giving very good information and making it fascinating reading at the same time. Mark and Mona got off the PRIDE about 3 weeks ago. Should be able to find the review about 3 or 4 pages back. (if not, just say so, and someone icon_rolleyes.gif will find it and "bump" it up for you).

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

Guest Crazeecat5

Hi Cathy,

DH and I took this cruise in February because we have friends in LA that we wanted to cruise with. To be honest, I really didn't care to go to the Mexican Riviera. But, WOW, what a wonderful time we had. The ship is fabulous and the ports were terrific. We had a blast. I've done 2 Caribbean cruises, 1 to the Bahamas and 1 to Canada and I must say, we had just as good a time in Mexico. Go and enjoy!

Sheryl from NYC

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until cruising on the Splendor of the Seas

Wow, Gary, thanks for the kind words. icon_smile.gif

I'm going to make a new post in a few minutes with all the links, just because several people have asked me for them. But here they are as well:

Review, Pt 1 - Overview

Review, Pt 2 - The Trip to L.A. & The Queen Mary

Review, Pt 3 - Embarkation Day (Part One)

Review, Pt 4 - Embarkation Day (Part Two)

Review, Pt 5 – Monday, First Sea Day

Review, Pt 6 – Tuesday, Second Sea Day

Review, Pt 7 – Wednesday, Puerto Vallarta

Review, Pt 8 – Thursday, Mazatlan

Review, Pt 9 – Friday, Cabo San Lucas

Review, Pt 10 – Saturday, Third Sea Day

Review, Pt 11 – Sunday, Debarkation & Final Thoughts

Have a great cruise! icon_biggrin.gif

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Cathy, The wife and I did the Mexican Rivera last December on the Pride. I thought the ports were really nice. Not much different then going out of Miami. A few things I would look for are: we flew direct into Long Beach, this was a lot easier to get around then LAX. We flew from Detroit to Long Beach for about $250.00 pp. We also went a day ahead in case of bad weather stayed at the Westin in Long Beach (very nice hotel. It was also a lot cheaper to get to and from the ship. The hardest part for us was the time change 3 hours, it was hard to stay up and see the late shows. I would also recommend taking the early dinning for the same reason. It was a really nice trip though, we went on a whale watching tour in Puerto Vallarta that was just awesome. The market in Mazatlan was something else. Cabo had some great snorkeling, and lots of shopping. I hope some of this will help you. I'm sure you will have a great time.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;4;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Time before another living legend is made.

Paradise (Carnival) 1999

Victory (Carnival) 2000

Destiny (Carnival) 2001

Legend (Carnival) 2002

Pride (Carnival) 2003

Miracle (Carnival) 2004

icon_cool.gif

Thank you all for your information!

This is definatly one to consider! We are just something really different, since we did the Western Itinerary for the last three cruises!

Cathy

dolphin.gif

Ecstacy October 1992

Destiny October 1999

TRIUMPH May2003

Our TRIUMPHant Return! May 15th

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917

Cathy have you given any consideration to the 8 day exotic Mexican cruise out of San Diego. I got a great rate and some good perks to boot for a balcony cabin on the Spirit in November.

And of course since San Diego is my home port no air for me for once. You can eme if you want the details.

Festivale 1984

Holiday 1988

Tropicale 1989

Festivale 1990

Tropicale 1992

Holiday 1994

Inspiration 1996

Celebration 1998

Inspiration 2000

Elation 2001

Destiny 2002

Glory 4/24/04

Spirit 11/9/04

we have done 8 mex. reivera cruise as well as a Carribian cruise on Carnival. Enjoyed them both but as we live here in Calif. I enjoyed the ease, flying from Sac. or driving from Chico, that it took to get there. you will love the Pride it is a great new ship. bethee's husband

I can't say anything negative about the Mexican Riviera, as we frequently vacation in Mexico (we also live on the West Coast). With that said, if you're into water sports like we are, you will be disappointed, as the snorkeling and diving are marginal at best. But short of that, you'll find lots of things to do in port.

Our idea of a perfect vacation includes scuba diving. For that reason, we tend to head over to the Caribbean or Hawaii more often than not. But we love Cabo San Lucas (for the golf) and Puerto Vallarta (for a combination of beaches and jungle hikes). And you will also, as long as you don't plan to spend all your time snorkeling!

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Carnival Pride

20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

Archived