No Marina Water Toys

Primus

My husband and I recently returned from multiple weeks on board the World Traveller.  We were greatly disappointed that there were no marina water toys available.  This was something that was advertised as being included on all 2023 Epicurean Expeditions.  From what we were told, Atlas just didn't hire enough staff.  We had been looking forward to kayaking and SUP in various ports.  Atlas changed their advertisements after our cruise departed to now saying marina water toys are available on select cruises.

hmmmm.... It's things like this that seriously make me question my booking.... may have to start rethinking my trip with them. One shouldn't have to do this on what is essentially a high end cruise, nor should one have to experience what you just did.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:00 PM, Michael_A said:

hmmmm.... It's things like this that seriously make me question my booking.... may have to start rethinking my trip with them. One shouldn't have to do this on what is essentially a high end cruise, nor should one have to experience what you just did.

It really isn't that high end. They're selling themselves as high end, but are not there yet! 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank-you @Primus for posting this disappointing news.

Use of the Marina was definitely one of the features that induced us to book with Atlas. Previously we had booked on ship on another line, Royal Clipper (also small but more unique as a true sailing Tall Ship) because of its marina. That is the only ship of their three that have a marina. That cruise was cancelled due to Covid and so we thought for this summer we'd try this Atlas cruise as on hot days in the Med in clear blue waters swimming off the stern would be perfect. We envisioned returning to the ship after a day of touring and taking a quick dip in the ocean (assuming we are tendered) and then relaxing before dinner. That would be so good. Or maybe a stop at a cove en route to somewhere (as RC does). Of course, some of the itineraries and port times would not allow the use of the marina but the itineraries are mapped out in advance.

I spoke to Atlas to ask if our booking was one of the "selected" cruises. She could not say yes or no; the decision is made on-board, safety...etc. if it is used. Not really an answer to my question. I realize use of the marina is dependent on safety, sea conditions, etc. but are they actually offering it - ever? Perhaps the President's cruise in August is one of the selected cruises and hopefully not the only one.

We'll go with optimism and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

The possibility of marina toys is not a decision made on board.  Either they have the staff or they don't.  The equipment is onboard and visible.  I asked on day 1 of our cruise about the marina toys and it was an immediate no answer for the next 3 weeks.  The actual use is always subject to weather but that doesn't come into play if there is no plan to offer the marina toys in the first place.  There was plenty of non-Atlas kayak and SUP use that we could see from the ship at the many ports we visited.

• 2 weeks later...

I too booked a cruise on the World Traveler because the brochure and the person I talked to when booking said there were water toys.  We had none on our cruise in May.  It was a terrible time for 9 nights.  I wanted to enjoy the water and did not get the experience I expected due to false advertising.  

• 2 months later...

To clarify, there is no "marina". Some ships (other lines such as on Royal Clipper (primarily a sailing vessel)) have a platform that opens down from the stern that can be used for swimming or loading into kayaks, etc and it is called their Marina. World Navigator, and I believe W. Traveller is the same, does not have a marina or swim platform. It does have an opening in the side of the hill where steps lower to a small stand on platform.

This platform is used, with assistance from strong deck hands, to load pax into the RHIBs, aka Zodiacs. Then these zodiacs towing kayaks and SUPs (I assume as they were not in use) go out a short distance from the ship (or a longer distance for experienced kayakers on Antarctic excursions) and the pax are loaded into their kayak off the zodiac. 

That platform is also used for the Polar Plunge (tethered) but not as a general swim platform.

They have offered kayaking several times. It is announced the day before and must sign up for an available time slot. Wind is a key determining factor. Plus they must obtain clearance from the harbour authorities and the amount of other marine traffic and assigned anchor position plays into that. So it is not so simple as I was expecting. 

we've kayaked once and missed a 2nd opportunity as we were away on excursion. They announced a possible opportunity tomorrow(?) or next day (again if weather allows) and will try for morning sessions and Kate afternoon so those away on excursions can have a try.

When we went out the wind and current did not seem at all strong but it was deceptive because the distance covered with a short time drifting was surprising. The water team are on zodiacs keeping a close eye on us and herding us together.