Visas for Turkey?

We got our Guest Ticket Booklet from RC today, and we have one stop in Kusadasi, Turkey. In the section on visas, it says: Citizens from many countries, including the United States and Canada are required to secure an e-visa before leaving home unless otherwise noted. You can request and pay for your e-Visa through a brief three-step online process, using this link www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ . After printing your e-visa, place it inside your passport.

So I go to that website, and in the FAQ section in regards to whether one is needed for cruisers, it says: According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours. However, if you arrive in/depart from our country by air for your cruise tour, you must obtain a visa. The website for the US Embassy also says we do not need one.

I had thought we didn't need one unless we were going far from Kusadasi, so I'm confused about why Royal put that in there, which makes it sound sound like we DO need one. Anyone have experience with this, or should I call RC and see what they say? I was going to just do it to be on the safe side, but then I found out it's $50, and we have 5 in our family, so I don't want to do it if not needed.

Generally cruise passengers in transit do not need visas to visit a port.  There is an exception or two.

If you arrive in Turkey to leave on a cruise or the cruise ends in Turkey you will need a visa.  We have done this.

The last time we stopped for a port call only in Kusadasi we did not need a visa.  There is a hint of a problem if you drive to another distant city.

Where does the cruise begin and end?  https://turkey-e-visa.com/e-visa-for-turkey-on-a-cruise/

10 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

Generally cruise passengers in transit do not need visas to visit a port.  There is an exception or two.

If you arrive in Turkey to leave on a cruise or the cruise ends in Turkey you will need a visa.  We have done this.

The last time we stopped for a port call only in Kusadasi we did not need a visa.  There is a hint of a problem if you drive to another distant city.

Where does the cruise begin and end?  https://turkey-e-visa.com/e-visa-for-turkey-on-a-cruise/

It begins in Rome and ends in Athens. Kusadasi is only a port day. We are just doing Ephesus and a Turkish market, not going far.

5 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Currently on Odyssey and docked in Kusadasi Turkey. We did not need a visa. 

Okay, thank you. Wonder why they put that in the boarding docs....

On 5/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, fishiecrackers said:

Kusadasi is only a port day. We are just doing Ephesus and a Turkish market, not going far.

If you're interested in history, at all, you'll love Ephesus.  We used to go down there once a month. Our kids loved getting to see the "old, old buildings." We even found some familiar looking statues.  If you get the chance, try to get on a tour of the Basilica of St. John, which is just around the corner from Ephesus.  While at the market, if you like pistachios, look for a street vendor and buy a kilo of them.  They'll be nice and warm.

2015_01_04_09_49_450003.jpg

16 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks! I'll be there next year. Did you take an RCI excursion there or did you venture out on own?

We did an RCI excursion, Panoramic Ephesus because we were getting tired, and it was good. But if I ever come back, I would book a tour that included Mary’s house. Several people I talked to did private tours and they also had positive experiences. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nilbog said:

If you're interested in history, at all, you'll love Ephesus.  We used to go down there once a month. Our kids loved getting to see the "old, old buildings." We even found some familiar looking statues.  If you get the chance, try to get on a tour of the Basilica of St. John, which is just around the corner from Ephesus.  While at the market, if you like pistachios, look for a street vendor and buy a kilo of them.  They'll be nice and warm.

2015_01_04_09_49_450003.jpg

OMG, I LOVE pistachios. Thanks for the tips and picture! We were going to skip Ephesus initially because we'll have done so many ruins and historical places on this trip, but my aunt and uncle did a similar itinerary and said Ephesus was their absolute favorite. So we ended up getting a private driver for the day so we can be more flexible, as I'm sure exhaustion will be setting in by this point in the trip!

7 hours ago, sandebeach said:

We did an RCI excursion, Panoramic Ephesus because we were getting tired, and it was good. But if I ever come back, I would book a tour that included Mary’s house. Several people I talked to did private tours and they also had positive experiences. 

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1